TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I actually hope they keep the steampunk theming, because I crafted a colossus-inspired necklace just a few weeks ago. what do u guys think?

either way they do the theming, I think both themes fit colossus fine, more so the carnival theme, but I agree about the clown head, the illustration looked terrible!

10620648_958124594203232_98343487819709700_n.thumb.jpg.08e244919672afd20bf118021e3479f5.jpg

handmade by me. maybe I should sell these?

Also, I ended up riding with a man visiting from Brazil who said his friends told him Magic Mountain was the best amusement park in the states. I was kinda like, "Umm, I disagree, there's a better one in Ohio. But Magic Mountain does have the most coasters!"

I would definitely agree with you that Cedar Point is a better all around amusement park, but keeping that in mind I find that the coasters at Magic Mountain beat out the intensity of the rides at Cedar Point, hands down. Even more so when MM had Deja Vu.

Just my opinion, don't get me wrong I love Cedar Point, I just found myself a bit disappointed with many of the ride experiences not living up to their hype.

I agree, and MM's coaster collection is probably the only category MM beats out CP. If you were to remove CP's marquee rides (MF, TTD, and Maverick) you wouldn't be left with much other than Raptor, Magnum (if you like pain), and Gatekeeper. Whilst if you remove MM's most popular rides (X2, Tatsu, and Full Throttle) you still have Goliath, Apocalypse, Batman, Riddler, Superman, Green Lantern, Ninja etc;

Also, I ended up riding with a man visiting from Brazil who said his friends told him Magic Mountain was the best amusement park in the states. I was kinda like, "Umm, I disagree, there's a better one in Ohio. But Magic Mountain does have the most coasters!"

I would definitely agree with you that Cedar Point is a better all around amusement park, but keeping that in mind I find that the coasters at Magic Mountain beat out the intensity of the rides at Cedar Point, hands down. Even more so when MM had Deja Vu.

Just my opinion, don't get me wrong I love Cedar Point, I just found myself a bit disappointed with many of the ride experiences not living up to their hype.

I agree, and MM's coaster collection is probably the only category MM beats out CP. If you were to remove CP's marquee rides (MF, TTD, and Maverick) you wouldn't be left with much other than Raptor, Magnum (if you like pain), and Gatekeeper. Whilst if you remove MM's most popular rides (X2, Tatsu, and YOLOcoaster) you still have Goliath, Apocalypse, Batman, Riddler, Superman, Green Lantern, Ninja etc;

I'm not sure I would agree with you. I find Green Lantern to be a much worse experience than Mean Streak, Goliath is a snooze compared to Magnum, Superman just feels like driving down the highway (which I guess in CA is worth experiencing, since you're usually stuck in traffic). Batman and Raptor are comparable I guess, though I think Raptor's layout is more interesting. Riddler used to be better than Mantis, but the Rougaru transformation will change that. Of course, Ninja outdoes Iron Dragon, and Cedar Point doesn't have a good twister woodie. But Blue Streak is a ton of fun, and Gatekeeper is a decently fun ride.

I'm not a CP fanboy. It's not my home park, and it's not even my favorite park. But I still think the overall quality of the coaster lineup is far better. Of course opinions are opinions, but that's my take

I actually disagree. I still think CP beats out SFMM's coaster selection even with those removed. While SFMM may have more 'good' coasters than CP, I think that CP blows Magic Mountain out of the water on the topic of variety. Whatever your preference of ride is, CP probably has something that can fit that, and I think they do a much better job at making sure each coaster provides a unique experience. This is now counting TC, however. TC might give SFMM the edge for me. By comparison, CP would easily beat SFGAdv if not for El Toro, but the addition of that one ride places the selection at a draw in my eyes.

But, we could debate which park has the best coaster selection for days. And, CP does have vastly superior operations to both of these parks. So, CP will always win out for me.

And, I am not saying this as a CP fanboy. In fact, if I ranked all of my parks first to last, CP would probably be near the middle, while the two SF parks I mentioned would be near the bottom. None of these parks excel in the grand scheme in terms of overall atmosphere. Plus, I am more of a fan of quality over quantity. Liseberg's coaster lineup actually impresses me more than does a park like Kings Dominion. And that is not even factoring in other park elements (of which I am sure Liseberg dominates at)

I'm not sure what SFMM's interest in SteamPunk has ever been about, but i feel i've noticed them implementing it other times. If this is how they're trying to appeal to the younger demographic (or any major demographic) this is not the way to go. Honestly, from when they said YOLO, SFMM became a sad attempt at being the "Cool mom."

I think I prefer CP's coaster collection slightly more than SFMM. It's more complete. However, SFMM's coasters are grittier if that's your thing.

Funny though, I'd take Hershey Park and Busch Tampa over either one. I guess it's just a personal thing.

While there are individual coasters I like better, I have yet to visit a park with a better overall coaster collection than Six Flags Magic Mountain. While nothing at the park is one of the best in the world, the park does have four to six top tier coasters (depending on who you ask) and even their worst major coaster is still a good ride, plus there are no obvious holes in their lineup. If you look at a park like Cedar Point, they have four or five top tier coasters as well (including one that could be considered a top ten coaster worldwide), but several of their major coasters are just okay at best. In addition, Cedar Point is clearly lacking an above average wooden coaster.

Of course, everyone's opinion is different and whether you're more of a B&M or Intamin fan probably has a lot to do with it. I'm more of a B&M fan and Tatsu is one of my top 5 steel coasters (it actually ranks higher than anything at Cedar Point for me), so SFMM's collection is more to my liking. Either way, I think it's a safe bet to say that both Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point are among the best coaster collections anywhere. Now, which is overall the better park is an entirely different story...

If Steampunk is dumb, does that make KBF's new dark ride stupid?

I kind of like SFMM is doing something different...the Coney Island theme would have been the easy way out. You can even argue that Steampunk fits the ride, since it's a hybrid of new and old itself...

If Steampunk is dumb, does that make KBF's new dark ride stupid?

I kind of like SFMM is doing something different...the Coney Island theme would have been the easy way out. You can even argue that Steampunk fits the ride, since it's a hybrid of new and old itself...

Steampunk would work great with a RMC hybrid, just not with those track colors. Also the layout screams "wacky cartoon carnival ride" to me.

^ Yes, its clear that they did count them. Should they not have? Since, you know, that's *exactly* what they are, moments of airtime. I honestly, in all my 32 years walking this earth have not encountered a more cynical, nit-picky, fussy bunch of goofballs as I have on this forum. Really? this is where you choose to focus your attention? Some people need a hobby to get away from this hobby.

And to the guy earlier who likened Superman to driving down the freeway (actually a pretty accurate before the update - the ride was boring as $#!+), but try it again. I've been to both parks and it is now easily in my top 5 between all coasters at both locations. Totally different (better) ride now.

Edited by willthethrill

Steampunk is great, if used properly. I actually do like going to Steampunk events, though not just for the partying aspect. I enjoy seeing the random machines people build for some of these events. In Nevada, we call this "Burning Man for smart people" I see this fad as far more than a partying gimmick. It really is interesting, if you can find the right event.

Having a steampunk themed ride would be the best thing ever. And, we could be getting a bit of that at both Knott's and SFMM.

^ Yes, its clear that they did count them. Should they not have? Since, you know, that's *exactly* what they are, moments of airtime. I honestly, in all my 32 years walking this earth have not encountered a more cynical, nit-picky, fussy bunch of goofballs as I have on this forum. Really? this is where you choose to focus your attention? Some people need a hobby to get away from this hobby.

And to the guy earlier who likened Superman to driving down the freeway (actually a pretty accurate before the update - the ride was boring as $#!+), but try it again. I've been to both parks and it is now easily in my top 5 between all coasters at both locations. Totally different (better) ride now.

Airtime, as I understand it, is when your butt stops making contact with the seat. Call me whatever, but somehow I doubt the train will be going that fast straight out of the station to actually do that in any significant degree. So it seems dumb to overhype it in an overly boastful stat about the coaster. Makes no sense to do that when I'm sure there's enough awesomeness about this coaster to actually talk about. That's the point I was trying to make.

As for the bolded part, perhaps you would be happier spending your time on another forum?

Not that I care that much, but I did watch the full POV video and try to count the moments that looked like there'd be airtime, and it was indeed 18. A few of them look they'l be weird ejector-looking moments rather than standard airtime hills (in which the hill is taken with the train tipped on its side). My count didn't include the little bumps at the beginning—it all came after the first lift hill.