TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Storytime! Roller coasters and thrill rides in general have operated quite safely for many decades before the "seat-belt craze" of late. I'll explain to all the youngsters out there. Seat belts, as a primary restraint device, are useless. You may as well ask your mom riding next to you to hold you in your seat. Seat belts as a secondary restraint device are *almost* as pointless since most can be unlatched by the rider at any time. And since people are panicky and stupid, they should not be left in control of their own safety at parks. Basically modern seatbelts are a placebo - they make us feel warm and fuzzy in this big cruel world.

So then why the hell are they even there you ask? Well their primary function today is to ensure that rider dimensions (fatness) don't exceed primary restraint tolerances. Meaning if the seat belt can't be buckled then the rider is too big for the lap bar/shoulder harness to function as intended and your chances of going 'bye-bye' while riding go way up.

Rare exceptions do exist of course.

Edited by willthethrill

Storytime! Roller coasters and thrill rides in general have operated quite safely for many decades before the "seat-belt craze" of late. I'll explain to all the youngsters out there. Seat belts, as a primary restraint device, are useless. You may as well ask your mom riding next to you to hold you in your seat. Seat belts as a secondary restraint device are *almost* as point-less since most can be unlatched by the rider at any time. Basically they are a placebo - they make us feel warm and fuzzy in this big cruel world.

Their primary function today is to ensure that rider dimensions (fatness) don't exceed primary restraint tolerances. Meaning if the seat belt can't be buckled then the rider is too big for the lap bar/shoulder harness to function as intended and your chances of going 'bye-bye' while riding go way up. There are a few exceptions of course.

....orrrr they're a fail-safe in case the restraint malfunctions. Even though it's highly unlikely, it's still possible. You can't take any chances.

Yeah and I can see why that is a common misconception. Imagine this scenario; coaster train stalls in loop, OTSR restraints fail in a particular car for whatever reason leaving the seat belt as the only apparatus holding that shoulder harness closed. How many people in that car do you think would panic and release their belt thinking they would be safer if they tried to climb down than hang upside down for hours? Any device that allows the passenger to have control of its function is a poor option.

Yes people can be held in by seat belts but I would argue that a coaster with them is negligibly more safe than one without.

One could even say that the *illusion* of safety created by a belt is even more dangerous than it being absent altogether.

Storytime! Roller coasters and thrill rides in general have operated quite safely for many decades before the "seat-belt craze" of late. I'll explain to all the youngsters out there. Seat belts, as a primary restraint device, are useless. You may as well ask your mom riding next to you to hold you in your seat. Seat belts as a secondary restraint device are *almost* as point-less since most can be unlatched by the rider at any time. Basically they are a placebo - they make us feel warm and fuzzy in this big cruel world.

Their primary function today is to ensure that rider dimensions (fatness) don't exceed primary restraint tolerances. Meaning if the seat belt can't be buckled then the rider is too big for the lap bar/shoulder harness to function as intended and your chances of going 'bye-bye' while riding go way up. There are a few exceptions of course.

....orrrr they're a fail-safe in case the restraint malfunctions. Even though it's highly unlikely, it's still possible. You can't take any chances.

On older rides and those with plain mechanical/ratcheting restraints, sure, but on brand new rides with hydraulic restraints no. will is correct, theyre mostly used to make sure the guest fits properly in the seat, and also they make guests who don't know alot about the restraints (like yourself) feel safer. In reality modern hydraulic restraints require many many times more force than the coaster or rider is capable of delivering to open them. Even still, they have redundancies built in so in the astronomically rare chance that it were to fail, it still would not release. They require a specific voltage electrical current be applied to open them. Normally the station applies that current; in the event of an evacuation, the mechanic has to bring a portable device out to the train and plug it into the car to release the riders.

There's practically no question that the rides will have the selt belts though, Six Flags requires them in California on any inverting coaster that doesnt have an OTSR. They were recently added to Goliath and YOLO which did not have them when originally installed.

One could even say that the *illusion* of safety created by a belt is even more dangerous than it being absent altogether.

I would disagree with that part. Thanks to final destination and all those fake videos floating around the internet, I am sure many guests actually do believe their restraints can fail, so the seat belt is an extra psychological thing to make the guests feel safer.

I still think, regardless of how safe modern restraint systems are, any additional safety measures are a welcome addition. I know, to enthusiasts we recognize they rarely ever serve a purpose. A lot of the time I don't even use a seat belt. But still, it's a fail safe measure that is good to have, you can never be too safe.

I still think, regardless of how safe modern restraint systems are, any additional safety measures are a welcome addition. I know, to enthusiasts we recognize they rarely ever serve a purpose. A lot of the time I don't even use a seat belt. But still, it's a fail safe measure that is good to have, you can never be too safe.

You don't use a seatbelt a lot of times yet it's a good measure to have and you can never be too safe? Well it doesn't work if you don't use it, right? Just sayin' but I do get your point.

As much as I agree that seatbelts are (generally) stupid, I'm pretty sure the one on YOLO saved my life.

My first ride on YOLO

TL;DR -- The unique design of the lap bar left an enormous gap between it and my actual lap, and I actually felt the seatbelt supporting my weight during the hang time on the loop. It was kind of legitimately scary.

^ wait what? A lose belt can fly around and hit people

Yeah seriously. Whether you need it or not, if you are on a ride with a seat belt, put it on. I've never seen a ride op fail to check mine (Though I have seen them neglect to check unoccupied seats), so I'm surprised you could even ride without it.

As much as I agree that seatbelts are (generally) stupid, I'm pretty sure the one on YOLO saved my life.

My first ride on YOLO

TL;DR -- The unique design of the lap bar left an enormous gap between it and my actual lap, and I actually felt the seatbelt supporting my weight during the hang time on the loop. It was kind of legitimately scary.

The shin pads are the primary thing keeping you restrained on premier rides. If that was down where it was supposed to be, you were fine.

You don't use a seatbelt a lot of times yet it's a good measure to have and you can never be too safe? Well it doesn't work if you don't use it, right? Just sayin' but I do get your point.

Oh Haha that came out wrong. It's because sometimes I accidentally just sit on the seat belt without noticing. This especially happens on rides with those two-person belts that need you both to hook it up.

Headed to the park tomorrow with my son! Will be there Friday, Saturday, and for a couple hours on Sunday. Praying for light crowds (doubtful on Saturday I know).

Anyone else going to be there?

Yuppers! Flying into burbank from Phoenix tomorrow!

This is slightly off topic, but is there an efficient way to get from Burbank airport to Valencia? We were just going to Uber/Taxi there, but if there's another (cheaper) method, I'm willing to do it, as we did not want to rent a car.

A taxi will run you a fortune. As much as you do not want to rent a car, that is the best, and cheapest way. I am not even sure you can catch a taxi to get back from SFMM easily.

It is an easy drive from Burbank...the 5 is right there, and SFMM is off of the 5. Depending on traffic, it is usually a half an hour or so.

I am going tomorrow as well. First time going solo. Hoping for light crowds, and knock out 15-20 rides and take off before the fright fest crowds arrive.

Headed to the park tomorrow with my son! Will be there Friday, Saturday, and for a couple hours on Sunday. Praying for light crowds (doubtful on Saturday I know).

Anyone else going to be there?

This is slightly off topic, but is there an efficient way to get from Burbank airport to Valencia? We were just going to Uber/Taxi there, but if there's another (cheaper) method, I'm willing to do it, as we did not want to rent a car.

Good gosh rent a car son Hotwire has em for under $15 and Burbank is sweetest place to rent and drop off cars.

Good gosh rent a car son Hotwire has em for under $15 and Burbank is sweetest place to rent and drop off cars.

Ah yes, I checked online and they have them for about $15. I was hesitant because we weren't planning on going anywhere else except the mountain for the weekend, but seeing as the rental would be about equal to an Uber ride, I think I'm going to rent one.