TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's all for moot anyway. I'm 95 percent sure they're going with the Screampunk theme. It's far too pseudo-hip for them to pass up.

Steampunk was "in" like 3 years ago, and I never really considered it "in". Someone ask the dippin dots guy, stat!

^ And swag.

I can't help but think of The Tickler when I look at that face on the train in the rendering. Honestly, that face alone would be enough to scare away a few people from the GP... not that I'm complaining, cuz that would mean less people in line!

I do like the entrance concept, and it pays homage to the original in a way as well, which is cool. It actually reminds me of the haunted houses and mazes that are all over in the parks right now, especially of Clowns 3D at USH. But for a Six Flags park, this is pretty ballsy of them, and given Magic Mountain's track record, almost sounds like total BS. I guess we won't know until everything is finished, and if they sweep up Scream! in the process, then I'm all for it.

In other news, I heard from my friend who is an Entertainment Lead at the park (manages one of the scarezones) that the park almost hit capacity last night during Fright Fest. Apparently there were 34k people in the park. I can't even imagine that place with that many people in it.

On that note, what is the park's capacity? And has it ever hit capacity before?

SATURDAY WAS OFF THE HOOK P A C K E D !!! MUST HAVE BEEN 100,000 PEEPS IN THERE. CARS WERE PARKING IN FILLMORE (WELL THEY WERE PARKING AT NEW SUNKIST BUILDING) .... IT WAS PACKED BUT FUN AT SAME TIME. I PITY PEEPS THAT WERE FIRST TIMERS AND MIGHT NOT HAVE GOTTEN FRONT OF THE LINE MAZE PASSES. THROTTLE PLAZA WAS PLACE TO BE AT SAME TIME DC UNIVERSE HAD THE NUMBERS.

I am guessing the next couple of Saturdays will be the same. Passes are cheap and time is running out for people to make it to Halloween events. HHN and Knott's will probably sell out as well.

In other news, I heard from my friend who is an Entertainment Lead at the park (manages one of the scarezones) that the park almost hit capacity last night during Fright Fest. Apparently there were 34k people in the park. I can't even imagine that place with that many people in it.

On that note, what is the park's capacity? And has it ever hit capacity before?

SATURDAY WAS OFF THE HOOK P A C K E D !!! MUST HAVE BEEN 100,000 PEEPS IN THERE. CARS WERE PARKING IN FILLMORE (WELL THEY WERE PARKING AT NEW SUNKIST BUILDING) .... IT WAS PACKED BUT FUN AT SAME TIME. I PITY PEEPS THAT WERE FIRST TIMERS AND MIGHT NOT HAVE GOTTEN FRONT OF THE LINE MAZE PASSES. THROTTLE PLAZA WAS PLACE TO BE AT SAME TIME DC UNIVERSE HAD THE NUMBERS.

I am guessing the next couple of Saturdays will be the same. Passes are cheap and time is running out for people to make it to Halloween events. HHN and Knott's will probably sell out as well.

My friends and I had planned on visiting HHN this passed Friday, but we lagged on getting our Front-of-the-Line passes. They were sold out of them for Thurs-Sat (also VIP packages).

A few observations on my weekend visits...

Friday morning/afternoon: I give up on Apocalypse ever being the smooth woodie it once was, and the men's room right near its entrance was not only disgusting, but the A/C was blasting Arctic air (especially dumb since it wasn't even hot that day). Superman closed, then reopened, then closed while we were waiting in line. Of course, only one side was (not) working/operating. Sigh.

Saturday night: Met my BF there later in the night and he was miserable—and for good reason. I have been going to SFMM since 1990 and have even worked there, and I've never seen it that crowded. Not fun.

My Friday night Knott's Scary Farm visit, however, was just about perfect despite their own near-capacity crowds—and I'm not that big of a Knott's fan. We didn't even need the Fright Lane pass.

Hi there guys, sorry to post this again but I have a quick question about season passes! Does anyone know if you can process your pass at any time during park hours? So if I can't be there until 9pm, can I still get my pass? Thanks in advance!

^I think you can process them at the turnstiles now since the cards no longer include photos.

That is correct. They take a fingerprint, then sharpie your name on the back. If the doggone things are working well that day, it is about a 30 second process, tops.

slightly off-topic, but I am curious if SFMM will ever change Riddler's Revenge to a sit down format similar to Mantis->>Rougarou..?

I think Riddler's Revenge is the best stand up coaster in the world, keeping it as it is and let Scream get all rusty and forgotten is better. The world needs at least one decent stand up coaster.

^^^ To that I have always suggested, why not hire a visual artist who paints

scenic, optical illusions on the flat ground, to do the whole lot under Scream.

That would be amazing, IMhO.

Question for MM regulars!)

I would run to Tatsu first ......

I appreciate your reply, thank you!

We went to MM on Friday. We drove from Phoenix, had lunch and checked in our hotel before getting to the park. So it was close to 4 when we got there. We were incredibly lucky with wait times. My husband was with me and he just isn't able to do rides the way he used to. We get to Magic Mountain every couple of years but used to go much more in our 20's.

We did:

• -Goliath - loved it, it shook my hubby up a bit, he used to love that ride.

• -I rode the Bucaneer fun!

• -I did the Drop of Doom for the first time, loved it! Didn't use single rider but didn't need to. It was a 5 minute wait.

• -I did Batman - that shook me up more than I remembered!

• -We did Apocalypse. I had read that it was a rough ride these days so I was worried what my husband would think. He loved it! We rode closer to the front on Friday. No fire.

• -I did Tatsu, the line was so short! Just a 5 minute wait! Loved it.

• -I did X2, another short wait, about 5 minutes! Loved it, such a fun ride! I rode next to a guy who was riding for the first time which made it fun, too. No fire effect.

• -The scare zones were so cool. Definitely enjoyed those.

• -We did Ninja

• -We were going to do Superman but the line was long and we needed to use the restroom. So we had to go back down the hill since the restroom up there is boarded up?

• -We got some fried food and beer at Full Throttle bar.

• -We did some of the Haunted Mazes. The Aftermath was really good. We did Willoughby's a few years ago, it was still good. I really liked Toyz of Terror - those 3D glasses really enhanced the effect!

• -We were pretty tired so we called it a night.

• -We came back Saturday morning about 10 minutes before opening and, DAMN, it was PACKED. I was able to show my Discover to use the short entrance.

• -We went straight to Full Throttle! It was so great. I had purposely never watched any videos of the ride because I wanted to be surprised. I had no idea how fun it would be! My husband really liked it. He almost backed out but he's glad he went.

• -We went back up the hill to ride Superman finally (we haven't rode it since 2008! So we've never experienced it facing down) and the ride kept going down. We would wait out each "down time" and the ride would go again. Then it would go down. Finally after 50 minutes we were next in line! And then they announced it's down and closed, go ride something else. So we never got to ride it.

• -We opted to try to get one more Apocalypse ride. I forgot about it only running one train. The wait was long, probably 45 minutes, in the sun. We were smack dab in the middle this time. I thought the ride was the same in roughness as the day before but my husband said he thought it was worse! We did get the fire effect though.

• -We called it a day after that.

Since we got season passes during the Labor Day sale we'll actually come back next year after Twisted Colossus opens. Colossus was always one of our favorite rides, especially backwards during Fright Fest!

We processed our season passes at the gate, like some of the other posters said. It also worked as a parking pass the first day. I know previous posters had asked if it would work for parking. It does.

When I purchased the gold passes I also bought the "Season Pass Digital Photo Uploads" plan. I wasn't sure if that would be worth it or not but decided to give it a shot. I was a little bummed after I purchased it because I thought it was only for the 2014 season. But once I got it at the park I saw that it was good for 2015, too. It was $34.99. We got our photos taken twice in the park and I also purchased the Full Throttle coaster photo. So I spent $6 on adding my photos. So it wasn't that great of a value, but, since I can use it next year it may work out to be a good value. We will bring our son with us next year, he'll be 11, but he still won't ride most of the rides.

Thanks for all the tips here. I enjoy reading this forum and all the updates to the park.

Question for MM regulars!)

I would run to Tatsu first ......

I appreciate your reply, thank you!

We went to MM on Friday. We drove from Phoenix, had lunch and checked in our hotel before getting to the park. So it was close to 4 when we got there. We were incredibly lucky with wait times. My husband was with me and he just isn't able to do rides the way he used to. We get to Magic Mountain every couple of years but used to go much more in our 20's.

We did:

• -Goliath - loved it, it shook my hubby up a bit, he used to love that ride.

• -I rode the Bucaneer fun!

• -I did the Drop of Doom for the first time, loved it! Didn't use single rider but didn't need to. It was a 5 minute wait.

• -I did Batman - that shook me up more than I remembered!

• -We did Apocalypse. I had read that it was a rough ride these days so I was worried what my husband would think. He loved it! We rode closer to the front on Friday. No fire.

• -I did Tatsu, the line was so short! Just a 5 minute wait! Loved it.

• -I did X2, another short wait, about 5 minutes! Loved it, such a fun ride! I rode next to a guy who was riding for the first time which made it fun, too. No fire effect.

• -The scare zones were so cool. Definitely enjoyed those.

• -We did Ninja

• -We were going to do Superman but the line was long and we needed to use the restroom. So we had to go back down the hill since the restroom up there is boarded up?

• -We got some fried food and beer at YOLOcoaster bar.

• -We did some of the Haunted Mazes. The Aftermath was really good. We did Willoughby's a few years ago, it was still good. I really liked Toyz of Terror - those 3D glasses really enhanced the effect!

• -We were pretty tired so we called it a night.

• -We came back Saturday morning about 10 minutes before opening and, DAMN, it was PACKED. I was able to show my Discover to use the short entrance.

• -We went straight to YOLOcoaster! It was so great. I had purposely never watched any videos of the ride because I wanted to be surprised. I had no idea how fun it would be! My husband really liked it. He almost backed out but he's glad he went.

• -We went back up the hill to ride Superman finally (we haven't rode it since 2008! So we've never experienced it facing down) and the ride kept going down. We would wait out each "down time" and the ride would go again. Then it would go down. Finally after 50 minutes we were next in line! And then they announced it's down and closed, go ride something else. So we never got to ride it.

• -We opted to try to get one more Apocalypse ride. I forgot about it only running one train. The wait was long, probably 45 minutes, in the sun. We were smack dab in the middle this time. I thought the ride was the same in roughness as the day before but my husband said he thought it was worse! We did get the fire effect though.

• -We called it a day after that.

Since we got season passes during the Labor Day sale we'll actually come back next year after Twisted Colossus opens. Colossus was always one of our favorite rides, especially backwards during Fright Fest!

We processed our season passes at the gate, like some of the other posters said. It also worked as a parking pass the first day. I know previous posters had asked if it would work for parking. It does.

When I purchased the gold passes I also bought the "Season Pass Digital Photo Uploads" plan. I wasn't sure if that would be worth it or not but decided to give it a shot. I was a little bummed after I purchased it because I thought it was only for the 2014 season. But once I got it at the park I saw that it was good for 2015, too. It was $34.99. We got our photos taken twice in the park and I also purchased the YOLOcoaster coaster photo. So I spent $6 on adding my photos. So it wasn't that great of a value, but, since I can use it next year it may work out to be a good value. We will bring our son with us next year, he'll be 11, but he still won't ride most of the rides.

Thanks for all the tips here. I enjoy reading this forum and all the updates to the park.

Great Report, welcome to the forums!