TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So, even in California, I still have to wait in line for a drop tower attached to another Intamin coaster and worry about being bitten by a painful insect?

I thought they only worried about this in Australia.

However, both situations are still better than being in New Jersey.

I have a pretty big suggestion for Magic Mountain, I know they'll never read this- but at least I'll voice my concern.

Having crew members only in the station being able to consistently load and dispatch trains is one thing, and for the most part I'm sure it'll be getting two trains racing most of the time. But what about getting the trains consistently and perfectly matched up? That's a pretty huge factor that makes the ride much more enjoyable. Simply racing but not being able to high five the other train is like riding a 3D Ride without your glasses on.

So I think Magic Mountain should use some form of quality control, like a ride operator in charge of ensuring both trains line up perfectly. It might sound like too much to ask, but I don't think it is. Getting the most out of your attractions will do wonders for the way people view the ride and the park. Especially in this case!

Edited by iloveblueberries

^Considering it is a Mobius coaster with only one station, having it match up and duel shouldn't be a problem. Until SFMM can't keep the trains running!

Yes, but I still think it will be tough getting the trains perfectly synced up. Even being a few seconds off (a rider putting away a bottle, or a restraint being too loose) means no high-five for you. In that case, my suggestion should be a solution to any possible problem's the station operators may face with load times.

No offense, but I feel like you are ignoring the fact that very sophisticated programming exists in the control systems of the thrill rides of today. Writing a program for two lift hills to automatically sync trains is something the amusement industry is readily capable of.

No offense, but I feel like you are ignoring the fact that very sophisticated programming exists in the control systems of the thrill rides of today. Writing a program for two lift hills to automatically sync trains is something the amusement industry is readily capable of.

But will they go through the effort of implementing something like that? That is what I am suggesting they ensure, regardless of how. As a park-goer, I don't care how they do it.

^I'm not saying whether or not they could. It's obviously possible. But so is synchronizing S:EFK with drop of doom.

What I'm saying is I want the park to put in the effort to get the synchronization perfect, not just somewhat accurate like some arbitrary dispatch time. I want them to go the extra mile (which is a no brainer for other parks, but tends to not be the case with SFMM)

Once again, I'm not questioning if it's possible. I'm suggesting they actually do it. I don't care how.

^I'm not saying whether or not they could. It's obviously possible. But so is synchronizing S:EFK with drop of doom.

What I'm saying is I want the park to put in the effort to get the synchronization perfect, not just somewhat accurate like some arbitrary dispatch time. I want them to go the extra mile (which is a no brainer for other parks, but tends to not be the case with SFMM)

Once again, I'm not questioning if it's possible. I'm suggesting they actually do it. I don't care how.

Agreed, we are comparing Six Flags and Universal. Would Six Flags spend about a million dollars to get coasters on the lift at perfect times? I doubt it, they will probably just try to dispatch at certain times..

I'm going to disagree here and say that if SFMM is going to be syncing the trains it will absolutely be software based on the lift. I doubt the cost would be that much to get the lifts programmed to accomplish this task not to mention that the cost of having to employee the extra people to get the job done will certainly be higher then hiring people to work in the station to get things lined up.

Yeah but with SEFK and LL its something that the ride ops have to do manually. With TC it's presumed that this will be programmed into the controls to be done automatically, the ride ops won't have to do anything special themselves.

i forget where, but i remember hearing the trains would need to be dispatched in 90 seconds to be able to duel. i think it was the cbs news video, that i can't find a working linke anymore. anyway, i really hope they have enough workers, who care and are trained to move fast enough for this to be possible. i just keep thinking about that 100 second countdown clock in Goliath going to zero and flashing when the operators finally get to the front of the train and start working their way back lowering lap bars.

This is how I think it will work:

The train that is finishing its first lap will hit the lift hill, if train 2 hasn't left the station yet or is too far behind, train one will continue through the course without dueling. It will mess up the dueling aspect of the ride for a few cycles but eventually as long as the crew gets their act back together (who knows might ruin dueling for the entire day because it's six flags after all)

i forget where, but i remember hearing the trains would need to be dispatched in 90 seconds to be able to duel. i think it was the cbs news video, that i can't find a working linke anymore. anyway, i really hope they have enough workers, who care and are trained to move fast enough for this to be possible. i just keep thinking about that 100 second countdown clock in Goliath going to zero and flashing when the operators finally get to the front of the train and start working their way back lowering lap bars.

If it is only a timed dispatch system, then good luck getting a high-five!

If it is a timed dispatch mixed with synchronizing lift hills, then they're doing it right!

I know, I really want to watch that video. But, I can't find it anywhere.

I'm optimistic about the syncing. I doubt much of it will rely on human syncing skill and will be heavily automated with varying speed lifts. I'd even go as far as to say that an un-synced ride will be rare. There'll be sensors throughout the ride that keep things on time and keep the station informed.

It's not like a coaster company engineering a design and then MM adding a smoke machine that they'll forget to refill a few weeks later. If the syncing mechanism fails on this, it'll reflect on RMC as much as SFMM and so I assume that RMC will be largely in control of this and MM will have to try a little harder than they normally do to break it.

Only time will tell!

Edited by Rotura Violenta

I'm optimistic about the syncing. I doubt much of it will rely on human syncing skill and will be heavily automated with varying speed lifts. I'd even go as far as to say that an un-synced ride will be rare. There'll be sensors throughout the ride that keep things on time and keep the station informed.

It's not like a coaster company engineering a design and then MM adding a smoke machine that they'll forget to refill a few weeks later, if the syncing mechanism fails on this, it'll reflect on RMC as much as SFMM and so I assume that RMC will be largely in control of this and MM will have to try a little harder than they normally do to break it.

Only time will tell!

first let me say, i don't really care if it does or not. when it does, it will be cool. probably more cool seeing it from the parking lot.

i'd also believe/hope they will do some syncing on the lift hill, but there's a point when the train leaves so late, i doubt they'd make the other take 2 minutes to go up the second lift. they still need to get close to the 90 second dispatches. and no matter how many they let go because it didn't make it, the ones that do, still need to hit that time window. that there is the issue. so, the issues to me are, employees, lack of employees, and then the general magic mountain crowd that takes their sweet ass time.