TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Roar at SFDK is fine the way it is now. The park did some retracking a few months ago that actually made a huge difference, the ride is quite enjoyable now.

I agree, Roar is fine as a traditional woody. There's a LOT I'd rather see happen at SFDK before this gets the RM treatment.

Last time I was there it was running 2 trains. Was sometime in mid August.

Back to the real topic of this thread, SFMM.... I just booked my hotel for a trip there October 24 and 25, and possibly the morning of the 26th. Are Fright Fest weekends comparable to weekends during the summer? I was hoping it would be relatively slow on Friday, and hopefully not crazy on Saturday.

^ Expect it to be extremely busy on those days, especially in the evenings. Friday might be manageable but Saturday will be one of the busiest nights of the year since its the last Saturday before Halloween. If you have Sunday morning to pick up any missed rides that might be a good idea. Definitely recommend flash pass/fright pass/whatever theyre calling it for Fright Fest now on Saturday. (Last time I was there during fright fest they didnt have seperate flash passes or skeleton keys for fright fest, they just added the mazes to the regular flash pass units)

Similar question to ^:

I figure crowds will probably be quite large, but I figure it's worth the ask. I may be out there the week before halloween, and I might have the opportunity to stay for the weekend. How many people actually go to the park on halloween itself and the sat/sun thereafter? Is it insanely crowded? If it's pretty bad, do the people going for the fright fest stuff take away from the lines for the coasters at all? Thanks.

I seriously do not understand the mentality of people who oppose RMC treatments so much. RMC creations are superior in almost every way to the original designs they replace. Why would anyone oppose this just for the sake of the coaster no longer having wood tracks? Who honestly rides any RMC creation, and says they would still rather have Roar at SFDK than one of these?

I would only oppose an RMC renovation on a select few coasters; those that hold much historical significance. If a coaster like Thinderbolt were to be modified, I wound not hesitate to oppose that. But when people are saying that rides like Colossus, Cyclone, or even The Beast are too classic, that is a position I cannot take.

Back to the real topic of this thread, SFMM.... I just booked my hotel for a trip there October 24 and 25, and possibly the morning of the 26th. Are Fright Fest weekends comparable to weekends during the summer? I was hoping it would be relatively slow on Friday, and hopefully not crazy on Saturday.

I'll be there the 25th as well, and most likely the 26th!

^ I just dont think every coaster should be modified just because it can be modified. I don't think Roar should be modified at the moment because it's a decent ride as is, the recent retracking has made it much more comfortable, and there's just no cause for it at that park right now. That's a small park with a small collection of coasters and limited space where Roar is still pretty popular relative to the other rides in the park. There will probably come a day where that changes, but it's not today.

I do agree with Colossus getting converted. It was in declining condition (granted some or a lot of that may have been because of park management's anticipation of the modification, ie the right side) and this will add a new marquee attraction shown off from the parking lot that will pull in new people without actually (completely) removing the iconic Colossus structure.

Compared to Apocalypse, on one hand I'd like to see Apocalypse redone because it just basically sucks now and anything is better than what's back there currently, but on the other hand Colossus gives RMC much more to work with and what they came up with is pretty amazing.

I seriously do not understand the mentality of people who oppose RMC treatments so much. RMC creations are superior in almost every way to the original designs they replace. Why would anyone oppose this just for the sake of the coaster no longer having wood tracks? Who honestly rides any RMC creation, and says they would still rather have Roar at SFDK than one of these?

I would only oppose an RMC renovation on a select few coasters; those that hold much historical significance. If a coaster like Thinderbolt were to be modified, I wound not hesitate to oppose that. But when people are saying that rides like Colossus, Cyclone, or even The Beast are too classic, that is a position I cannot take.

I pretty much fully agree on this except for maybe the beast. But that's mainly since I've never been on it yet and it looks fun for a classic type of wooden coaster, plus its super long.

It's not that I'd oppose an RMC Coaster at SFDK... there's just nothing wrong with Roar right now, and the park needs to invest in other areas way more (drop tower, dark ride, 4d theater reopening...)

I'll be there the 25th as well, and most likely the 26th!

I'll be there with my 11 year old son. So if you see a tall bald guy with a beer belly probably wearing SF Giants/49ers shirt and a blond haired 11 year old, feel free to say hello!

It's not that I'd oppose an RMC Coaster at SFDK... there's just nothing wrong with Roar right now, and the park needs to invest in other areas way more (drop tower, dark ride, 4d theater reopening...)

And don't forget the super loop!

I'm not sure how they're gonna deal with the missing chunk in the lift hill, if they'll fill it with a wooden or steel replacement. BUT, getting a dumb idea in my head, they could leave it open for a possible keyhole element for a future coaster. Again, a dumb idea, but wouldn't that be neat?

I'm not sure how they're gonna deal with the missing chunk in the lift hill, if they'll fill it with a wooden or steel replacement. BUT, getting a dumb idea in my head, they could leave it open for a possible keyhole element for a future coaster. Again, a dumb idea, but wouldn't that be neat?

Magic mountain is in no way shape or form that forward thinking

FYI: This is the SFMM thread.

No need for the reminder. SFMM is getting an RMC coaster if you haven't heard, which is why RMC is being discussed.

Actually, there is a need for a reminder because there is already a thread discussing potential RMC makeovers

We also have an SFDK thread if Roar needs to be discussed.

Edited by Jew