TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey everyone, I have embedded my NoLimits 2 re-creation of Ninja at SFMM, please enjoy!!

It is not 100% accurate, but I believe it gives a good look and feel of the real ride, transfer table, storage tracks and all!

Is this your first NoLimits recreation? It's pretty good, better than I can do at this point. There are definitely some things I can see that need changes, but it's a great start.

I really wonder how much longer SFMM will keep Ninja around?

I think whether or not a second train returns to service next year will be pretty telling. If the train comes back, I'd say the ride is safe for some time. If not, I doubt it's got more than a couple years left. I could see the ride removed, but without also removing Jetstream there wouldn't be much space for a replacement and if Ninja left there would be nothing worthwhile outside the kids area for children under 48". However, I'm thinking SFMM will keep Ninja for some time, and I could see it becoming the last suspended coaster in North America years down the road.

Ok so I know that this is a long way out but my family is planning a trip to California in late May. We will probably go to Magic Mountain on the 26th or 27th (Tuesday or Wednesday). I think a lot of schools are out already but hopefully not. Anyway I'm hoping to ride all of the coasters (not kiddie coasters) at least once. And also try out Lex Luthor. Without a flash pass, is this idea realistic or ridiculous? 15 rides if you include Twisted Colossus which may or may not be completed by then.

As that is after Memorial Day, some schools will be out by then but a lot of So Cal schools don't get out until June. It should definitely be possible to get on all the coasters and Lex Luthor without a Flash Pass, but you will probably not have time for many re-rides. It is possible that Twisted Colossus will be open by then, but given SFMM's recent history I'm guessing a late June opening is more likely.

Ok so I know that this is a long way out but my family is planning a trip to California in late May. We will probably go to Magic Mountain on the 26th or 27th (Tuesday or Wednesday). I think a lot of schools are out already but hopefully not. Anyway I'm hoping to ride all of the coasters (not kiddie coasters) at least once. And also try out Lex Luthor. Without a flash pass, is this idea realistic or ridiculous? 15 rides if you include Twisted Colossus which may or may not be completed by then.

As that is after Memorial Day, some schools will be out by then but a lot of So Cal schools don't get out until June. It should definitely be possible to get on all the coasters and Lex Luthor without a Flash Pass, but you will probably not have time for many re-rides. It is possible that Twisted Colossus will be open by then, but given SFMM's recent history I'm guessing a late June opening is more likely.

Alright sweet! Plus I'm expecting at least 1 or 2 rides down for the day, so hopefully I can get a lot of rides in on one day!

I'm just praying that it isn't like the time I went to Cedar Point. It rained off and on the majority of the day. Luckily I got on MF in the morning and then TTF finally opened up at night so I got a ride on that. Maverick was the only coaster closed all day though. And it was the one I was looking forward to the most.

The oldest coasters in the park now are Goldrusher, Ninja, Revolution, and Viper. I don't think Goldrusher is going anywhere due to its appeal to families and I doubt Revolution will go anywhere since they can forever advertise it at the world's first vertical loop or whatever.

What does that leave for the other two? Both are Arrow Dynamics creations. Ninja too appeals to families and has a unique layout on the hillside terrain. Viper however is now nearing 25 years of age. I can see both sides of the argument. It's becoming older and more rough, especially those awful OTSR's designed for midgets. The plot of land is also conveniently flat for the most part. On the other hand, I believe it can also spit out a decent amount of riders per hour (correct me if I'm wrong).

None of these coasters are particularly problematic mechanically either like X2 might be or like Deja Vu was. I'm not concerned with how much land SFMM has left either. I'm just curious what's next on the chopping block when the time comes.

The oldest coasters in the park now are Goldrusher, Ninja, Revolution, and Viper. I don't think Goldrusher is going anywhere due to its appeal to families and I doubt Revolution will go anywhere since they can forever advertise it at the world's first vertical loop or whatever.

What does that leave for the other two? Both are Arrow Dynamics creations. Ninja too appeals to families and has a unique layout on the hillside terrain. Viper however is now nearing 25 years of age. I can see both sides of the argument. It's becoming older and more rough, especially those awful OTSR's designed for midgets. The plot of land is also conveniently flat for the most part. On the other hand, I believe it can also spit out a decent amount of riders per hour (correct me if I'm wrong).

None of these coasters are particularly problematic mechanically either like X2 might be or like Deja Vu was. I'm not concerned with how much land SFMM has left either. I'm just curious what's next on the chopping block when the time comes.

My understanding is that Viper is still a popular ride that is fairly reliable. No reason for the park to consider removal. Same goes for Ninja. The ride is safe until the cost to maintain it exceeds the rides ability to be profitable.

I would be curious to know how the profitability of a coaster is determined long term. Initial season or two I'm sure this is easy enough. Not sure how you would do it for a twenty year old ride.

Scream is just in an unenjoyable portion of the park. I just visualize concrete, run down uninteresting buildings, walls, and the hot hot Valencia heat. Just making the day oh so bland. Ehhh

Rather stick to more fun areas of the park

If you have a gold pass and you can cross off YOLOCoaster in the morning early entry (Or Twisted Colossus on the extremely slim chance that it's open by then..) your chances improve greatly as you can get a walkon for one of the longest lines of the day. From there work your way forward from the back of the park and you should hit most of the lines as short as possible. Wait until 4:30 or so to hit X2 as the line will be very short by then.

If your family is a small group, you dont mind not riding together, or some people wont ride everything then consider using the Single Rider lines on Lex Luthor, Riddler, and Green Lantern. 45+ min wait turns into 15 for LL, Riddler always a walkon for single rider and Green Lantern is usually no more than 10-15 mins or less.

If Twisted Colossus does by some miracle open by this time, the entire park is likely to be a lot busier as it will bring a lot of people to the park that wouldn't otherwise be there at all. Strongly recommend a flash pass if that's the case. You've got some time to save up for it.

I'm just praying that it isn't like the time I went to Cedar Point. It rained off and on the majority of the day. Luckily I got on MF in the morning and then TTF finally opened up at night so I got a ride on that. Maverick was the only coaster closed all day though. And it was the one I was looking forward to the most.

SFMM doesnt shut down nearly as quickly in the rain. CP is a bit infamous for their super strict rain shutdowns. At SFMM, Lex Luthor, SEFK, YOLO, and X2 can close pretty quickly in the rain (or wind, which shuts down the Sky Tower too if it's open by then) but practically everything else will stay open in drizzle or light rain in my experience.

My understanding is that Viper is still a popular ride that is fairly reliable. No reason for the park to consider removal. Same goes for Ninja. The ride is safe until the cost to maintain it exceeds the rides ability to be profitable.

I'm not sure i'd call it popular. reliable yes. reliable that there's never a line. LOL

^Also remember that Viper has excellent capacity, and the dispatches always seem quick. That combined can keep lines short all day long.

yeah, i know. my definition of popular must be different. it used to be my favorite ride there.

i'd say when they opened up the que in the station is when it died down. died down from wildly popular to just popular.

^Also remember that Viper has excellent capacity, and the dispatches always seem quick. That combined can keep lines short all day long.

yeah, i know. my definition of popular must be different. it used to be my favorite ride there.

i'd say when they opened up the que in the station is when it died down. died down from wildly popular to just popular.

Yes, I recall the three separated railings going up the stairs all split up the station into front, middle, and back cars. Those were there when I first when to SFMM in 2006 and 2007. Sometimes in the past few years, I noticed once you reach the station that those dividers are now gone. I'm sure many people were outraged to find they weren't where they wanted and would jump the line to reach their desired car.

Yes, I recall the three separated railings going up the stairs all split up the station into front, middle, and back cars. Those were there when I first when to SFMM in 2006 and 2007. Sometimes in the past few years, I noticed once you reach the station that those dividers are now gone. I'm sure many people were outraged to find they weren't where they wanted and would jump the line to reach their desired car.

I hated when waiting for the front area patiently, people ducking under into the open space. especially because the front part was the longest part in the downstairs part of the line. I just couldn't do that. but a flashpass/fast lane is another story. lol

I don't know why people hate on Scream so much. It's ugly as anything and the location is awful but it's a good ride.

I think it's a bad ride--one of B&M's worst (outside of the stand-up coasters). And, yes, I dislike it for the other two reasons, as well.

I don't know why people hate on Scream so much. It's ugly as anything and the location is awful but it's a good ride.

I think it's a bad ride--one of B&M's worst (outside of the stand-up coasters). And, yes, I dislike it for the other two reasons, as well.

Scream has always seemed like a very ho-hum ride. I don't think it's a bad ride. I just don't think that it's a good ride. If there isn't a line it is worth a ride, but I've never really waited more then a few minutes for it. Personally it always felt like a last minute decision to put Scream in the park (and I had decent sources back when it was built who told me the same thing).

As far as Standup's go, I've only been on a few, but I've always thought that Riddlers is a solid ride.

Hey everyone, I have embedded my NoLimits 2 re-creation of Ninja at SFMM, please enjoy!!

It is not 100% accurate, but I believe it gives a good look and feel of the real ride, transfer table, storage tracks and all!

Is this your first NoLimits recreation? It's pretty good, better than I can do at this point. There are definitely some things I can see that need changes, but it's a great start.

It is not, but it is with suspended coasters, they are a bit tougher to get to swing properly. I did a Millennium Force recreation that I believe is spot on, but this was a bit trickier. Thanks for the feedback!