TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm confused on how this could happen, I mean a fire a top of the lift hill that doesn't just happen.

I'm no local so I was just wondering did this happen during openings hours? Again no Local so I have no idea how late it is over there.

When you're using a cutting torch on a wood structure it does.....

And the park is closed until Saturday.

Edited by DJeXeL

Seems bizarre that you wouldn't have a couple of different fire containment methods on hand (to avoid a fire erupting into something like this), as you're literally cutting/torching stuff on the top of a giant wood structure. I assume having a ready to turn on fire hose up there might be too much, but how don't you have this as a worst case scenario and plan accordingly?

Just another bullet point to the Colossus history page.

Do we know that no one got hurt? I assume the structure fell quite a bit after everyone evacuated? I assume the fire dept's hose water is responsible for knocking over the weakened structure (the video will not load for me)?

Crazy!

Local news is over-sensationalizing this by claiming the fire department has warned the entire lift hill structure might collapse, and total park evacuation is possible.

Media is stupid in general, if I told the average news anchor the sky was red and not blue they would probably believe it and report it as news

Edit: example of complete stupidity by the media: On the day of the lax shooting around 6 o'clock the helicopter was hovering over lax filming the planes taxing and taking off, the news anchor then asked, "are planes moving around yet" when if she would have used 1% of her brain she could have easily seen that planes were moving on the tarmac

Edited by fpsphil

While I realize that the lift hill was going to have to be partially re-built anyway, I can't help but to think this is going to create a lot of additional work. I feel bad for the RMC guys and for the team at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I hope they can pull this together!

While I realize that the lift hill was going to have to be partially re-built anyway, I can't help but to think this is going to create a lot of additional work. I feel bad for the RMC guys and for the team at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I hope they can pull this together!

If the fire and collapse had happened a closer to the Initial drop, which is going to require a significant removal of structure due to it's steep drop as compared to the orginal drawn out drop, it would probably play better into their remoldling plans, see this is right at the top point of the lift hill there definitly will need to be reconstruction of several bents

colla.jpg Photo from KTLA post

From the looks of the cable from the crane connected to the track right below the burn zone more than likely confirms the fire was from them cutting the final bits of metal from the track in order to free the section and lower it down. Luckily more of the structure didn't collapse otherwise that crane could have possible been pulled over in the collapse and fallen on more of the structure

The sheer amount of facepalm I have been experiencing with the reporting and the beloved comments on Facebook seriously make me question the quality of news being reported to me from outside of the Amusement Park world.

So, that being said, I hope that everybody gets evacuated safely from the (closed) park, and the new 3D coaster is everything we were hoping for!

Oh! And regarding the comments, I hope SFMM gets all of the insurance money they were hoping for due to this fraudulent fire that was intentionally set because Colossus just closed forever and now they needed a way to claim some money for it.

Thank goodness that only that small chunk was all that went and that it didn't spread out even farther. Hopefully this won't end up being too big of a road bump in construction in the long run. I'm just gonna pray that any little accidents like this won't happen to the construction team of Twisted Cyclone in Massachusetts.