TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I completely agree. While it's nice to get a pass for that cheap (including season parking!) it sucks because parents start using the park as their babysitter.

But honestly we're just repeating old discussions at this point.

And bad parents equals annoying kids. That was always my biggest complaint of MM other than poor operations and limited flat rides. Its like your stuck in an inner city classroom with a substitute teacher!! No rules being followed! lol

All that needs to be said about SFMM can be summed up by the fact they were offering GOLD PASSES for $70 over the holiday weekend.

Ok?

The fact that the park was discounting their premium level pass to $70 is a pretty telling sign as to the quality of the product. They're not even trying to pretend they are a high quality amusement park. $70 for a gold pass is basically them saying "we know our product sucks, but we also know you guys who visit us don't give a sh*t and just want to ride coasters."

All that needs to be said about SFMM can be summed up by the fact they were offering GOLD PASSES for $70 over the holiday weekend.

Ok?

The fact that the park was discounting their premium level pass to $70 is a pretty telling sign as to the quality of the product. They're not even trying to pretend they are a high quality amusement park. $70 for a gold pass is basically them saying "we know our product sucks, but we also know you guys who visit us don't give a sh*t and just want to ride coasters."

Oh I see what you mean. Yea. At least it was just a sale.

Ok?

Just checked their website and it is now the September Early Bird Sale! Now you have to buy 2 or more passes at $75 to get the Gold Upgrade. One gold pass is $134.99, Combo $114.99, and Regular $74.99. Still a great deal. Oh, and the dining pass went up from $84.99 to $99.99.

Was the $70 deal not chain-wide?

I know it at least was promoted for SFMW as well.

it was even cheaper at most parks. i think as low as $50.

but, MM has always had cheap passes. they have always hovered around that price or cheaper. them and universal are the cheapest passes. $80 annual at Costco for Universal.

Was the $70 deal not chain-wide?

I know it at least was promoted for SFMW as well.

it was even cheaper at most parks. i think as low as $50.

but, MM has always had cheap passes. they have always hovered around that price or cheaper. them and universal are the cheapest passes. $80 annual at Costco for Universal.

There is a catch with Universal though, the Costco, Buy a Day, and Value passes are loaded with blockout days. Most of the summer and holidays are blocked. None of the Six Flags passes have blockout days.

There is a catch with Universal though, the Costco, Buy a Day, and Value passes are loaded with blockout days. Most of the summer and holidays are blocked. None of the Six Flags passes have blockout days.

oh really? it wasn't like that the last time i got one. but it's been a while. but the good thing is, at least it's annual, and not seasonal like they try to get you with the, buy a day, get the rest of 2014 free. also, universal is open every day, which is cool. those off season days, same with Knott's are ridiculously dead.

i remember when magic mountain stayed open daily through september. there would be more people at WalMart than Magic Mountain.

God it must be so awful to go through life being that pessimistic.

What a nightmare.

How long does it take before it stops being pessimism and starts being reality? I have 26 years of hands-on experience with SFMM. No matter what it used to be, or what we hope it will become one day, SFMM will be what it is and it will do what it does. TC won't be any different just because it's TC. It's not pessimism to expect Twisted Colossus to not look like it does in that CG concept art video. This is from the same park that showed YOLO with one train in the loop and another train sailing over at the same time. These videos are meant to sell Gold Passes. They are not meant to display with 100% perfect accuracy what the ride will do, look like, or how it will be operated.

It isn't pessimism to disbelieve the concept art video and instead envision a reality where the trains don't go up together, high-five together, soar around each other, as normal operations. Sure it'll happen some of the time, just like Colossus used to race some of the time, but that won't be how it will normally run. The larger point I was trying to make was that even though this is true, it really doesn't matter because it won't make Twisted Colossus any less fun to ride. TC will still be an amazing fun ride.

Lets switch gears here! Is anyone here excited for WCB this weekend? I know everyone is excited for Knotts, but how about SFMM? Anyone? Its funny to see how different the WCB's are since I went in 2009, 2010 when everyone was going to SFMM and hardly anyone made it to Knotts. Now its totally the opposite.

Lets switch gears here! Is anyone here excited for WCB this weekend? I know everyone is excited for Knotts, but how about SFMM? Anyone? Its funny to see how different the WCB's are since I went in 2009, 2010 when everyone was going to SFMM and hardly anyone made it to Knotts. Now its totally the opposite.

I'll be there at both parks/days! I've attended the SFMM day of WCB every year since 2010, and this will be my 2nd year attending Knott's (first time was last year). While I appreciate the fact that SFMM still does WCB and I'm looking forward to it, it is sad that there's nowhere near as much offered now as there was in the past (examples- no backstage tours, formal Q&A session, etc), whereas Knott's has been stepping up their offerings. So that probably explains why it's shifted. The reason why I haven't been to the Knott's day of WCB as much as SFMM is because in past years I haven't been able to stay for Sunday due to school. But I enjoy both parks (have season passes at both!), and I'm looking forward to this weekend!

I'm especially excited for ERT on Full Throttle and X2! Although I'm not counting on it, I'm hoping that maybe more details will be revealed about Twisted Colossus during lunch since there will be some Q&A. Obviously we're aware of the layout thanks to the video, but maybe we can get questions answered such as how long this was in development, and get the debate settled as to how loading will work (some think it'll be dual station loading like Tatsu, others think it'll be one station, the question of how many trains it'll have when it opens, etc).

The point is that myself and others here who perhaps aren't, shall we say, at the height of optimism when it comes to considering how TC will be operated, might know a little bit about what we are talking about.

But I'll say it again because it's worth saying again - it doesn't matter that likely only 2 trains will be run! TC will still be an AMAZING ride that will be much better than what was there before! That's ultimately what matters, right?

If people are having a great time, who gives a flying $@ if the two trains are not going up the lift hill together or flying over each other in perfect sync?

On a more speculative note, when the video does show 3 trains simultaneously (2 on course and 1 on brake run), two of the three are red, and the other purple.

Thoughts, if this ends up being the final color scheme and number of trains?

I wouldn't mind seeing a red, a purple, and a black if we're only getting 3.

Apocalypse actually has a similar airtime hill right after the drop, it just curves a bit to the right first.

i don't even call what's off the lift hill a drop on apocalypse. similar to outlaw run, pre drop? raging bull? great ejector drops.

maybe that little hill off the first drop is what he's talking about. that's hard to tell. it would be nice if it gives some pop, but i'm not anticipating it to be anything significant.

I meant the small airtime hill that happens under the exit walkway before the first turnaround.

oh yeah, that's small.

i think i need to re adjust my definition of airtime when i read stuff. lol

kinda like the ntag video where the guy says 40 something moments and i'm more with robb when he counts like 11 or so.