TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I was wondering about that myself...But I also noticed that the station isn't in the renderings either... I doubt it, but maybe there will be a tunnel as well and they just left it out of the animations?

The first drop of 'old' Colossus was into a trench of sorts. A few of the drops are dug into the ground a bit.

Meanwhile... the Labor Day Sale is awesome. I was able to get Gold passes for $57 this season from a 'special' invite (that I'm sure most subscribers got).

where did this come from? subscriber? i'm cheap like that and wouldn't mind saving a little more.

They first sent me the offer around spring break. It was a letter from Bonnie (not at all personalized; form letter) saying something to the affect of 'we noticed you haven't been to the park this year, he's an offer for you. It had a link embedded in the email that couldn't be shared that gave me the option to buy up to 3 gold passes for $57. I didn't bite at that time, but they sent me another in late June and it was my kid's birthday and she asked to go to SFMM for her birthday, so I bought 2 passes.

Agreed about the Labor Day Season Pass sale. Is anyone opting for the membership, though? Other than the monthly payment part, is a benefit of the membership that you can lock in pricing and benefits for years to come?

That and I like the fact that I dont ever have to bother with renewing my pass.

I don't like seeing the Psyclone trains sitting out there uncovered. They always kept them covered when they were sitting in transfer..make it look like they're going to be scrapped. I hope someone steps in and preserves those in some way. Maybe B&M will take 'em...I could see them wanting to hang onto them.

Agreed about the Labor Day Season Pass sale. Is anyone opting for the membership, though? Other than the monthly payment part, is a benefit of the membership that you can lock in pricing and benefits for years to come?

That and I like the fact that I dont ever have to bother with renewing my pass.

I don't like seeing the Psyclone trains sitting out there uncovered. They always kept them covered when they were sitting in transfer..make it look like they're going to be scrapped. I hope someone steps in and preserves those in some way. Maybe B&M will take 'em...I could see them wanting to hang onto them.

not lately they hadn't been covered on the transfer track...and they looked completely trashed. well, the seating did. i'm not surprised they are just sitting out like that.

They first sent me the offer around spring break. It was a letter from Bonnie (not at all personalized; form letter) saying something to the affect of 'we noticed you haven't been to the park this year, he's an offer for you. It had a link embedded in the email that couldn't be shared that gave me the option to buy up to 3 gold passes for $57. I didn't bite at that time, but they sent me another in late June and it was my kid's birthday and she asked to go to SFMM for her birthday, so I bought 2 passes.

oic, yeah, i go enough i'm sure they don't need to send me that. oh let's see, this guy has been a pass holder for 20 something years, no discount for him. LOL

that and i keep telling them how dirty the park is when they send me the survey after almost every visit.

The lower height probably has something to do with the re-profiling of the drop. I'm guessing they have to take off a few feet at the apex of the lift to allow the structure to support the new first drops.

Just a guess.

So the original Colossus was 125 tall 115 foot drop with max speed of 62 mph. So why would RMC shorten the height to 121, yet make a bigger drop at 128 and come up with a slower max speed at 57 mph? I'm totally confused on this.

My guess is nylon or poly wheels causing more friction. Will be nice when SFMM officially gives us the stat sheet and some more detailed renderings.

Remember when Goliath was announced with the normal wooden lift structure? What if Six Flags does it again, and is hidding us some stuffs? The lack of station in the renderings bugs me... as does the catch on the second lift. What if... What if the lifts will be inclined launches instead?!

^^ The polyurethane wheels don't effect the speed from the drop, they effect the energy carried throughout the ride

So the original Colossus was 125 tall 115 foot drop with max speed of 62 mph. So why would RMC shorten the height to 121, yet make a bigger drop at 128 and come up with a slower max speed at 57 mph? I'm totally confused on this.

First off they dropped the track on the drop all the way down to the footers, which was probably originally about 5-10 feet off the ground on the original colossus. Next, there is an airtime hill immediately following the drop which doesn't allow the train to reach the full potential energy. This is why you have a slower speed.

I just want to comment on this before it potentially turns into a shitstorm.

Every little detail and every little change they decided to make was in an effort to create the best possible product. I'm sure if they decided to add 50 feet of height- the ride would be nothing like it is now and maybe even not as marketable. And the stats do seem a little weird, although a few feet is nothing to get worked up about. We got a non stop airtime machine with Six Flags paying minimal on major additions to the ride and getting the absolute most out of half of what the original structure had to offer.

Also the height of the lift is probably going to be 128 feet . Isn't that what the Six Flags CEO said? It just makes sense too. Probably a typo on the 121 or some kind of technicality.

Just FYI, the train that was pictured in the maintenance yard is the third Psyclone train that has not been used for Colossus backwards over the past couple years. The two Psyclone trains that were sitting on the Colossus transfer track have disappeared along with the Colossus trains.

I can attest that that third train has been sitting exposed in that maintenance yard for a while, as I was one of the 6 who made it through the whole 36 hour marathon, and it certainly hasn't moved since then.

- Spike (Nick Inglis)

Edited by crazydude

i don't really see the benefit of the membership. well, that's coming from someone who buys their pass during the sales, which happen every year. last few years it's been, buy 4 and get parking and upgrade to gold. they even sent me the opportunity to buy more a few months ago as singles for the same price of $72. so there is a little discount. lol

but i do know they've done the gold upgrade thing with parking for a number of years.

the membership requires a $20 deposit to get the $5.85 a month price. the deposit being kept until you stop the membership. i'd rather them keep you in a contract for 2 years like cell service and it be a little cheaper than their sales on gold passes.

either way, i'll get it this weekend. it's sometimes a pain to find at least 2 other people to buy 4 when they do those sales.

The benefit to membership? Not having to stand in the pass processing line every year! $6 a month for me is not buying two iced teas at Starbucks. I think $72 a year for a gold pass is a good deal and I don't even have to think about it at the monthly price, or standing in that god awful processing line.

No here's hoping security doesn't flag my pass because I upgraded and disable it. (This happened with no word when we flew to Six Flags Over Texas for the New Texas Giant bash).

I'm guessing that six flags has gotten rid of the season pass usb sticks? i know half way through the season a worker told me they don't have them any more. that they sold out. i never again, at least at magic mountain, saw them advertised.

for those that don't know, you could buy a usb stick from them, i think 29.99, then every picture taken is only a $1.00. it was an awesome deal.

now i see the season pass digital upload pass. but now the pics are $1.99. still a good deal though.

Not only does this look amazing, but you don't have to choose which side to ride, you get to ride both! This is going to be insane and I can't wait for more pictures and animations to be released!

This is what I like most about it. One queue line, one station, one train loaded at a time, yet it is basically two rides!

Remember when Goliath was announced with the normal wooden lift structure? What if Six Flags does it again, and is hidding us some stuffs? The lack of station in the renderings bugs me... as does the catch on the second lift. What if... What if the lifts will be inclined launches instead?!

Biggest plot twist in SFMM history.

I've had very little interest in returning to MM recently. This announcement has definitely changed that. I think this will be a fantastic replacement for Colossus. Providing West Coast Bash keeps the schedule it currently has, it's highly likely that I'll attend both days next year.

I'm rooting for WCB to both happen, and to be one weekend later next year. I'm absolutely doing a trip to Cali next year now that I can get free tickets to those parks and Disney has both Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain closed right around now for their holiday changeovers. But I hear there is also a TPR tour to Cali next year so maybe WCB is combined with that or who knows.

I'm guessing that six flags has gotten rid of the season pass usb sticks? i know half way through the season a worker told me they don't have them any more. that they sold out. i never again, at least at magic mountain, saw them advertised.

for those that don't know, you could buy a usb stick from them, i think 29.99, then every picture taken is only a $1.00. it was an awesome deal.

now i see the season pass digital upload pass. but now the pics are $1.99. still a good deal though.

I don't think they're discontinued, from what I've been told they just get a certain amount at the beginning of the season and that's it until next season, so you'd have to wait until next season to get one now.

I don't think they're discontinued, from what I've been told they just get a certain amount at the beginning of the season and that's it until next season, so you'd have to wait until next season to get one now.

oh, that's cool. i like the usb stick. just wish Magic Mountain still had the onride photo on the coasters they took it off of.