TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Am I seriously seeing people talk about how the winter might delay the construction?

This is LA. There is no winter. There is summer and slightly cooler summer. I was in Hollywood this past January and it was 78 degrees.

i'm guessing this will go pretty smooth as far as construction. it's not like RMC just gives someone the plans and says, have at it. their crew is the ones who head the construction with a little help, correct?

weather, not really a problem. terrain, not issue like with Tatsu. after the bad winter in Chicago last year, the RMC crew will feel like they are on vacation in LA. LOL

Am I seriously seeing people talk about how the winter might delay the construction?

This is LA. There is no winter. There is summer and slightly cooler summer. I was in Hollywood this past January and it was 78 degrees.

I don't know. LA residents don't handle drizzly rain very well.

^ That's a very good point. Driving the 15 through the mountains during a rainstorm was one of the most terrifying things I've done on the road. It didn't help that it was late at night and I was surrounded by 18-wheelers.

In other news, even though I really, REALLY don't like Magic Mountain, that Labor Day Sale was impossible to pass up. $69.99 for a gold season pass that includes parking at every Six Flags property? SOLD!

Agreed about the Labor Day Season Pass sale. Is anyone opting for the membership, though? Other than the monthly payment part, is a benefit of the membership that you can lock in pricing and benefits for years to come?

i don't really see the benefit of the membership. well, that's coming from someone who buys their pass during the sales, which happen every year. last few years it's been, buy 4 and get parking and upgrade to gold. they even sent me the opportunity to buy more a few months ago as singles for the same price of $72. so there is a little discount. lol

but i do know they've done the gold upgrade thing with parking for a number of years.

the membership requires a $20 deposit to get the $5.85 a month price. the deposit being kept until you stop the membership. i'd rather them keep you in a contract for 2 years like cell service and it be a little cheaper than their sales on gold passes.

either way, i'll get it this weekend. it's sometimes a pain to find at least 2 other people to buy 4 when they do those sales.

An entrance (clearly labelled) as SEASON PASSHOLDERS ONLY would help quite a bit of the mess up front ---

What is up with the mess at the gates? I visited my first Six Flags parks this year (Six Flags GA and Gav). I bought season passes and it still took forever to get through the gates.

Nobody reads the signs or they at least don't read and understand engrish. If you listen around, there are so many different languages being spoken. And as far as the delay it takes some talking to let the guest know that the clippers or even the pocket knife is against park policy and option is return it to your car or we shall dispose of it here and that takes some time to explain. It also takes time to explain to the guest that outside food and beverage aside from water is not allowed to be brought into the park. Most people are trying to bring in food of all kinds so just do your best when entering a line to not get behind a stroller or anyone carrying a big beach bag or backpacks. As they will argue that the Cheetos they have are for dietary needs and that will bring your line to a stop. Or even now when guest claim they need a gluten free diet or that they are veggin well low and behold SFMM now has both those type of restaurants so take your gluten and veggin crap back to your car or we shall toss it and you must buy ours..... BUT THEN AGAIN NOBODY READS SIGNS.

Stopped into the park to process my new pass. Colossus is already undergoing work, two crew were on the lift hill taking a saw to the railings. Little piles of debris along the access road, but still looks intact, nothing major yet. Pics for your viewing pleasure.

colossus20140829_2.thumb.png.cb6fe14e0d05cdaee54d3d2354a3f3f7.png

colossus20140829_1.thumb.png.cc7adc2b0ed98c1a8e8ca8ec15e437da.png

What gets me is the continued debate (now on it's fifth or sixth start) about the track(s). Even if you skim through the posts, people were excitedly using the term "Möbius" to describe what's happening...and I'd guess that that would at least stick out?

Wait, you're saying it's one ride with two lift hills?

^^ In the past SFMM has been able to open rides up consistently before the end of May. Even Tatsu with the challenging terrain opened up on 5/13. Something like this, on flat land like Scream, should be able to get finished earlier than YOLOcoaster (6/22).

... One would hope.

Colosstruction and Random Photos from 8/28

So i visited the park yesterday to meet more non-existent crowds and more really hot weather (except for inside the Superman queue). While on Goliath, I did notice how some workers with giant buzz saws were sawing away at the lift hill. There are now a few things worth pointing out now that we all know what the ride is gonna look like. I am really excited for what's coming to the mountain and hope the ride delivers as much as everyone says it will. I kind of wish that they had preserved a bit more of the original structure instead of just being left with one stretch of the original structure. Also, the pacing kind of seems awkward. I know other coasters like Smiler have two lifts, but the 2nd half of Smiler progresses the ride through a different set of elements compared to the first. In the case of TCol, however, it seems like the 2nd half is largely a repeat of the first half. Though, I'm sure I'll still love the ride to death once I get to ride. Anyways, opinions are in the way of pictures...yay pictures!

111.thumb.jpg.044bbbb128f510fdf5cda49b6f21460c.jpg

I explored by this quaint little section by Colossus where the right side exit bridge is.

20140828_115927.thumb.jpg.11effa8568930843e809e1c6b096cf50.jpg

So I'm guessing that we are gonna be seeing blue RMC track coming out of this section underneath the bridge.

20140828_115933.thumb.jpg.e474b9d821734b75e9b200d2496bdf13.jpg

And its gonna continue out this way into those bunny hops from the video. Footers are all that's left from here all the way to the lift hill.

20140828_120017.thumb.jpg.d0ca8488f237ff0019e41d18b80d5169.jpg

I really hope that they can maintain all the beautiful shrubbery that would surround you as you enter the ride. It's like a little tunnel of trees. I fear though that they'll rip all this out to put in the track...

20140828_120032.thumb.jpg.c90796fc286ab8746d744808c32f2c01.jpg

...and it will end up like this. I still have no idea why they cut all these trees between the Goliath lift and Colossus. I guess they save money by using in-house wood for construction.

20140828_120119.thumb.jpg.86ede4715ea1d9858997dc3cd0729d97.jpg

I can't get over how awesomely quaint this little section of the park is.

20140828_120204.thumb.jpg.2841b1c382bbb8cabd66512e2d2407f3.jpg

This is hard to see, but the old final break run from the right side track is now gone.

20140828_120341.thumb.jpg.2b097985cda5f63ce395bba721518de0.jpg

This was a thing until it left in the afternoon

20140828_121732.thumb.jpg.7efc592cab799fe4978f8379045e689c.jpg

I wonder what's in these white wrappers. My guess is planks of wood because the other stacks of white packages that were hidden by the Colossus left-side exit track were partially removed and showed planks of wood...so yeah, it's wood. (You could only see the other packages of wood from Goliath lift hill)

20140828_121852.thumb.jpg.af67697fdeed5b4436fbdac647a68037.jpg

Scream was shining today. Actually had really fun on this one today.

20140828_121937.thumb.jpg.f50546731d8345bd1a7060651bd615f5.jpg

More of this.

20140828_121950.thumb.jpg.a40aa80bfcd64f567c2dba5f79d027a0.jpg

This is the exit of Colossus now.

20140828_150442.thumb.jpg.acbad19ce7400b1fc4132ac6791d5025.jpg

These are what all the "lines" looked like today

20140828_164320.thumb.jpg.370f1772a6e3139b9f028fb43338d81f.jpg

Another view of the decimated trees. Bye trees! I hate when they cut trees.

20140828_164325.thumb.jpg.d5113cfe96a65815272a367dc287de76.jpg

20140828_172105.thumb.jpg.21edcc9f53c59016a1c1295a0a183cd1.jpg

I found the Pyclone trains baking away

20140828_173258.thumb.jpg.dc239634c01c583c92cfc8aada7944a5.jpg

Some more Colossus photos I took in the afternoon.

20140828_173312.thumb.jpg.45bcc3301b0577fa71bdf221150d7a67.jpg

20140828_173324.thumb.jpg.5d81b2a52a484c963e5a2fcdd648767c.jpg

20140828_173500.thumb.jpg.19a67a432e094d7093786f062d3142cf.jpg

Maybe some company will come around and modify Goliath to have an 80+ degree drop, add crazy ejector hills, and then end the ride with the same crazy gray out helix all without killing the speed of the ride mid-ride.

20140828_180438.thumb.jpg.a61e8f082b97f191862079bfaf26f9b3.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures!

OMG OMG OMG!!! I take back what I said about the ride being repetitive in my previous post. The color scheme totally justifies EVERYTHING! Does the green/blue colors remind anyone about DeJaVu (because of the color scheme). DeJaVu was all about going through the same ride twice, the 2nd time around with some different twist to it. Now, we have TCol where you go through largely the same experience each time with a few differences in the sequencing of elements the 2nd time around. Aww that's so meta!!! This ride delivers on all levels! SO much perfection! Whoever thought of those colors has a really twisted mind...oh wait the name.

OMG OMG OMG!!! I take back what I said about the ride being repetitive in my previous post. The color scheme totally justifies EVERYTHING! Does the green/blue colors remind anyone about DeJaVu (because of the color scheme). DeJaVu was all about going through the same ride twice, the 2nd time around with some different twist to it. Now, we have TCol where you go through largely the same experience each time with a few differences in the sequencing of elements the 2nd time around. Aww that's so meta!!! This ride delivers on all levels! SO much perfection! Whoever thought of those colors has a really twisted mind...oh wait the name.

I guess you have a point it's largely the same. I mean just one lap will deliver so much airtime and fun. Doing it again is like the joy of re riding a

Roller coaster without leaving the train. Except it's like riding a better roller coaster after you rode a really good one. So wtf are you going on about?

Thanks for the update!

Also, I told you guys my sources were right... Until next time.

And for those of you complaining about the length: Full Throttle isn't anywhere close to half the length of this!

In fact, this is the LONGEST RIDE IN THE PARK!

Then again, I think Tatsu wasn't worth the investment. Am I the only one that thinks it is really short? It doesn't seem worth the wait for me and I think it's just as much of a gimmick as Full Throttle. However, X2 is a different story.

^ that the color scheme is sort of a nod to the DeJaVu coaster that the park removed in 2011. The whole repetition of the ride twice is in essence what was the appeal for the DeJaVu coaster. They could have picked any two colors to separate the two parts of the ride. I think that they chose blue and green sort of as a throwback/recognition of the DeJaVu coaster that once stood at the back side of the park.

Thanks for the update!

And for those of you complaining about the length: YOLOcoaster isn't anywhere close to half the length of this!

Then again, I think Tatsu wasn't worth the investment. Am I the only one that thinks it is really short? It doesn't seem worth the wait for me and I think it's just as much of a gimmick as YOLOcoaster. However, X2 is a different story.

Your source being a guy who publicly posted this info to his blog/twitter, then you scurried over here to post as if it were some top secret stuff from an anonymous source? In that case, good on you dude - you were right, please advise of the Emmy and Grammy winners ahead of time so I can place my wagers, I now have full faith in your impeccable sources.

Thanks for the photo update, by the way, am. That was fantastically detailed - appreciate it, though I don't have a great idea of just how many trees were actually cleared (haven't been to the park for awhile, and not sure if I had if I'd realize anyway)!

Thanks for the update!

And for those of you complaining about the length: YOLOcoaster isn't anywhere close to half the length of this!

Then again, I think Tatsu wasn't worth the investment. Am I the only one that thinks it is really short? It doesn't seem worth the wait for me and I think it's just as much of a gimmick as YOLOcoaster. However, X2 is a different story.

Your source being a guy who publicly posted this info to his blog/twitter, then you scurried over here to post as if it were some top secret stuff from an anonymous source? In that case, good on you dude - you were right, please advise of the Emmy and Grammy winners ahead of time so I can place my wagers, I now have full faith in your impeccable

He was actually not my source. I knew about it and posted here way before he posted that stuff. I have insiders in the park that get me my information. This was all before the website leak too. They actually knew what they were talking about.

Supposedly they are completely getting rid of the dueling aspect and putting one single track in the middle of where the two were before. Other sources have also said that it will be called Twistesd Colossus.

So much for your sources. You probably just found out about the name on Coaster-Net and then went off of some speculation going on around there.

And didn't the leak just happen through the nodes or whatever in the main website? That's what it sounds like all you had to go off of. Stop trying to be all important and relevant with your "I got sources" attitude. Just ride some roller coasters.

^ that the color scheme is sort of a nod to the DeJaVu coaster that the park removed in 2011. The whole repetition of the ride twice is in essence what was the appeal for the DeJaVu coaster. They could have picked any two colors to separate the two parts of the ride. I think that they chose blue and green sort of as a throwback/recognition of the DeJaVu coaster that once stood at the back side of the park.

I highly doubt that the colors were picked because of Deja Vu. Would be cool if they were though. Supposedly the colors were chosen because they will be a big part of the color scheme that will be in the new Back Alley section of the park.

All the wood that is pictured is new and was just shipped to the park. Full on deconstruction and construction of the actual structure should be happening within the next few weeks.

Supposedly they are completely getting rid of the dueling aspect and putting one single track in the middle of where the two were before. Other sources have also said that it will be called Twistesd Colossus.

So much for your sources. You probably just found out about the name on Coaster-Net and then went off of some speculation going on around there.

And didn't the leak just happen through the nodes or whatever in the main website? That's what it sounds like all you had to go off of. Stop trying to be all important and relevant with your "I got sources" attitude. Just ride some roller coasters.

I really don't care about the credit or that attitude. I'm just trying to help you guys out with some information. And for just getting the facts straight.

Anyways, my opinion about it... I am thoroughly impressed. I just about facepalmed while watching the video the first time when I saw the two tracks and was thinking it's gonna be really short, but I LOVE the idea of going around twice! I can't wait to ride this thing and I'm in no way disappointed. But one question: when are we going to hear the precise top speed, height, and track length on this thing? Those things seem kind of important and they have to be known by now.