TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yes, there are what looks like a few small pre-lift camelbacks.

That looks pretty much impossible to get any airtime on those unless the station is higher than it is in the animation.

Shouldn't be an issue. The original built up nice nice bit of speed before the lift. I always wished for pre lift camel backs then, I'm glad RMC was on the same page!

^Do I see a bunch of little airtime hills over to the right, leading in to the lift hill? That'll be interesting (in a good way)!

That would be fun! Even if they don't produce airtime, I'm sure they will be fun.

^^ Hmmm...converting one of the old stations to an unload platform would theoretically make it easier to hit the correct dispatch times.

That is, of course, if it's going to be a single tracked coaster.

Yes. That is probably going to be the hardest thing to do if it's a single tracked coaster. I'm sure they have a complex computer system that will keep the ride in check, and make sure the side race. I can't really see Magic Mountain blowing it after a large investment like this.

Another thing I just thought of is that since the park is open year round, we will be able to get some great construction updates! ^And I think there are at least five little bunny hops before the lift.

That' going to be exciting! I'm definitely excited that we will be able to see the progress throughout the whole year. Didn't RMC say that they were installing the first piece of track on their FB page? Or was that Cyclone?

i don't really see any station, just track that loops around to those little bunny hills. would be nice to see renderings of that whole area.

It looks like a station to me, but I guess anything is up in the air at this point. Why would it take a long route just to get to the lift hill?

And I really do wish they would release a POV or rendering to clear this up . . . guess we have to be patient and hope they will!

*EDIT* here are some close ups of the pre lift bunny hops. I know it's kind of hard to see . . .

2014-08-28_21-11-26.png.0db763373a5075b475c9bba9fa1844f8.png

2014-08-28_21-12-21.png.28cacaa46e28b0c4e035c534250f98cf.png

^^Totally agree. This seems like a more complex coaster, so it should have more renderings! A POV will probably be released soon, so that should clear things up. I think I'm going to contact the park as well, asking them about this, so hopefully that will solve things fingers crossed.

^That would be awesome! Maybe yellow and orange tracks to fit the theme?

Edited by glouthan

i almost want to say that those bunny hills are just a joke to see who's paying attention. kinda like the rider with the Lakers jersey on.

1004470466_ScreenShot2014-08-28at7_17_41PM.thumb.png.bf16dd7693fc4a0cfea749477785853c.png

here to me it just looks like elevated track doing a circle back to the lift hill. no?

Based on the renderings, it looks like this will probably keep the same station building as the original Colossus and use the right side station platform. The path to the lift looks almost identical, just with bunny hops instead of a gradual downslope. I'm guessing there will be three brake sections (magnetic on the first slope, a final/safety brake where the red train is, and a hold brake on the green flat track. The blue flat track before the turn would be the station platform (I'm guessing the building isn't rendered due to cost...Goliath doesn't have one either). This is purely guesswork, but I'm thinking the line will enter the building at the same location as it formerly did, proceed toward the platform, then go through switchbacks in the former left station area before reaching the platform. More switchbacks could be added between the Colossus station and Scream's entrance as well to accommodate the likely 2+ hour waits this will be getting.

As for syncing the trains, I'm guessing it will be something like this: both lift hills run in creep mode until a train is detected on each hill. At that time, the computer will adjust the speeds of the lifts until the two trains line up. If there is a delay in sending a train, there just won't be a race on the second loop (or with four train operation, the train may need to stop on the second lift). This feature could be disabled during one or two train operation, but would be active any time three or four trains are running.

OMG WHO THE $@ CARES ABOUT DISPATCHES AND TIMING?!?!!!?!?!

Okay, let's assume the dispatches are not timed perfectly and the trains don't go up the lift hill together perfectly, or through the high-five perfectly, or soar over each other perfectly. Is the Earth going to start rotating backwards? Are galaxies going to explode? Will the space-time continuum be ripped to shreds? No. What will happen is that a train will go down the first drop on its own, through the high-five like it was an overbank (the wrong way on the left side), and do a zero-G roll and a bunny hill. It will be a fantastic ride, and it will keep the park relevant.

Of course we would love it if things were timed perfectly and the ride happened just like that concept art video, but we know that isn't going to be the case. And if it's not, so what? Is it worth 20 pages of ceaseless whining? No. Will it be a great ride regardless of if 2, maybe 3 trains at most are running and there isn't dueling anything? Yes. So let's be happy about that, and let's be happy that this amazing coaster is even being built, for one, and being built so close that we have relatively easy access to it.

However it's going to be run, it's going to be a terrific ride that we will all have a great time riding. It will be leaps and bounds better than what just closed recently. I haven't been this excited to go ride something at SFMM in years, and I'm betting I'm not alone in that feeling. That's what's most important here, right?

By the way, has anyone interviewed one of those dopey "Save Colossus" protestors about this? I'd love to see/hear/read their Grumpy Cat-style reaction to this announcement.

^I don't know, I just think we would like to see it race, and hope SFMM doesn't blow it after a large investment. But no, the earth won't stop if it doesn't race - it's still going to be a sick coaster. And yes, I would love to see a reaction of one of the protesters! that would be hilarious.

By the way, I just put in a message to the park asking about the station configuration - so hopefully they will get back soon.

After studying the video for like...30mins, I figured it out. I'm not sure if anyone has said it & I didn't feel like going through the pages to see haha, so here's how it's set up:

- You start out on the blue track coming out of the station, into the little bunny hops, into the first lift hill

- Near the end of the 1st half (blue track), it switches to green. Thus, you will then take a ride on the green side (2nd half). At this point, another train will be making it's way up the lift on the blue tracked side.

- The green track is what will turn into the brake run, go back to blue track, into the station.

So, with that being said, it seems to be that they will only be running 2 trains (not a big shock), one station, 2 for 1 type of ride. In reality the coaster is not short since you're taking two rides on the same coaster, different layouts. With the way it's being ran, the dueling won't start right off the back. One train will lead the coaster, then the other will come after, then the dueling will be continuous from that point on.

Whew, there we go

Alright, now that the thread has slowed down considerably, let me bring this to the public eye -

The corkscrew sections. This is Magic Mountain, home to arguably the worst-behaved guests in the world. How many people are going to get spit on? How many people are going to have stuff thrown at them / dropped on them?

Yes, the ride will be moving at a good speed so the spit option might be off the table, but there's still a very real chance of idiots doing idiot things because they're idiots. Back when Geauga Lake was open I was in line for X-Flight (or whatever they called the Vekoma flyer there) and when the train went into the first swoop after the drop (it passed directly over the queue) the entire front row of teenagers actually hawked huge loogies into the crowd. Luckily I was spared but the woman 5 feet from me got some nice new hairgel that day.

^^Oh, didn't think of that one. Let's just hope they behave and don't ruin a great ride like this by tossing objects into the other train when those interactions happen. hopefully the ops can be really strict towards no loose articles so that something like that doesn't happen. Either that or the State won't let the sides run simultaneously.

Seriously through, that would be really sad.

Edited by glouthan

I am so glad that six flags magic mountain is finally getting better, and I hope it does! Wish I could visit there so badly, but my favorite uncle is taking me to fiesta Texas this September soon!

Just because Twisted Colossus is being built doesn't mean the park's quality is getting better. (Though the coaster collection is greatly improved.)