TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Repainting all the sun bleached rides will be a good place to start.

That's what I was thinking. With Twisted Colossus being the centerpiece of the new Back Alley, I'm hoping they will give some love to Scream since it should be incorporated. It's been looking rough these last few years.

I'm optimistic about operations on Twisted Colossus. Although SFMM deservedly gets a bad rap for overall operations, X2 has always been an exception as well as (usually) YOLO and Goliath. Even Tatsu usually has pretty good ops (as good as can be on a flyer that by its nature takes longer to dispatch) despite never using the second station until recently. SFMM clearly puts their best operators on their most popular rides, so it stands to reason that as long as TC is popular it should have adequate operations.

Let me start out by saying that in terms of a new coaster, I LOVE what I see. And spring of 2015? Wow, that's going to be a fast conversion compared to the other Rocky Mountain projects. If this was simply a new ride, I'd have zero complaints. But then nostalgia kicks in. The last rides I had on Colossus were still rather good. It's my feeling that they could have incorporated every element of Twisted Colossus, but kept the coaster much closer to how it used to look.

The structure of the old Colossus just had presence. Those massive turnarounds dominated the landscape like no other. And now so much of that is gone. I'm disappointed that they didn't keep the coaster as visually imposing as it was before.

The first drop and first turn around of the modified ride are great. I wouldn't change a thing. The inversions in place of the old low hill after the second drop, also great. But that's where it ends for me. Should have kept it two tracks. After the inversions, go into a new wicked awesome double-up. Dip the middle of the second turn around like they did with the first. Maybe even a second high five? Then after the second turnaround drop, bring back the old double down. The third turnaround that used to be SO slow would have been dropped almost to the ground. And then on the return, re-profile those hills into ones that give awesome airtime. Then back into the station.

And the red track Rocky Mountain used on all the other conversions would have been fitting for Twisted Colossus. A perfect nod to the red handrails of the original ride.

But when all is said and done, we are getting one hell of a ride. And that I can't complain about.

Edited by metrock

Love this addition! Although I wish that they didn't use different colored tracks for each side of the ride, I'm very happy to see RMC realize that getting a roller coaster to duel with two stations at a Six Flags park is not going to happen... Great to go with the "if you can't change them, join them!"

I'm sure they will have some sort of computer program that will allow the chains to change speed so that the trains leave at the same time at the top of the hill...

Can't wait for this ride. Has work started since 2015 is not very far off? Was Colossus already structurally retrofit at some point or is that part of this update too?

Edit: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/season-pass-flash-sale

For the Gold pass flash sale, does that mean I can pay $5.85/month with free parking until I cancel the membership? Or does the free parking only apply for a year?

High Five element coming to the USA??!! At Magic Mountain???! Wow, this awesome! Hopefully they can sync the trains' dispatches so the trains can actually duel. If so, that's not one, but two high five elements per ride! Oh, and 18 airtime hills??!! This may be the best ride ever...at least at Magic Mountain.

Can't wait for this ride. Has work started since 2015 is not very far off? Was Colossus already structurally retrofit at some point or is that part of this update too?

Edit: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/season-pass-flash-sale

For the Gold pass flash sale, does that mean I can pay $5.85/month with free parking until I cancel the membership? Or does the free parking only apply for a year?

If you buy the membership (as opposed to the "pass") your benefits kick in immediately just like they do with the pass, which means free entry and free parking right away. The catch is you can't cancel for one year. Still a great deal, I have one.

It just makes me laugh every time someone complains about how the structure will look, how the elements will feel, etc, before it's even built- BEFORE IT'S EVEN BUILT!

It's even funnier when they say they are disappointed.

Yes, true, this is MM and after the first season it probably won't duel anymore but I don't care, it's still amazing.

It's still going to be a massive structure, with beautiful track and trains, and awesome elements.

Repainting all the sun bleached rides will be a good place to start.

That's what I was thinking. With Twisted Colossus being the centerpiece of the new Back Alley, I'm hoping they will give some love to Scream since it should be incorporated. It's been looking rough these last few years.

Hopefully the park looks into some UV resistant paints. The Cali sun really eats up the colors. My dream for Scream would be to remove the parking lot, but that probably could never happen. I would be happy if the trains and track got some touching up.

that's not one, but two high five elements per ride!

I hadn't actually thought of it that way until now. I'm surprised they didn't announce it as being the first coaster on the planet to have two high five sections.

At first I thought Twisted Colossus was a racer but when I heard it had two lift hills I was like huh? and watched the video again realizing it's twice around the same circuit (tracks changes from blue to green right before the second lift hill) which means the high five element twice (once on each side).

Anyone else out there think that this could be a 4 train ride. Colossus is already set up for a duel station. With two trains unloading/loading at the same time, it would give the ops more time to get the trains loaded to keep up the "racing" aspect of the ride.

I think it will be a four train ride with a dual loading station. This would make it easier to sync the trains' dispatches so they can duel. When one train is in rehab, it could still duel with three train operation and one side of the station. It could possibly be a five train ride with a dual loading station but that is wishful thinking and one train would always be stacked.

Oh hell yeah! First New Texas Giant, then Iron Rattler, then Goliath (this year), and now TWISTED COLOSSUS!!! Planned on doing Six Flags Magic Mountain when I go back to California; definitely doing this when I do go! Rocky Mountain is changing the coaster game!

^That would be pretty sweet! They seem to take a break every year after a large coaster and go with a cheaper option, so this could be it (not sure how much these thing cost - can't be that expensive), so maybe for 2016 or 2017. And we pretty much know Magic Mountain isn't opting for a 200 foot version - they're going all 400 feet or maybe even more!

that's not one, but two high five elements per ride!

I hadn't actually thought of it that way until now. I'm surprised they didn't announce it as being the first coaster on the planet to have two high five sections.

At first I thought Twisted Colossus was a racer but when I heard it had two lift hills I was like huh? and watched the video again realizing it's twice around the same circuit (tracks changes from blue to green right before the second lift hill) which means the high five element twice (once on each side).

Anyone else out there think that this could be a 4 train ride. Colossus is already set up for a duel station. With two trains unloading/loading at the same time, it would give the ops more time to get the trains loaded to keep up the "racing" aspect of the ride.

I think it will be a four train ride with a dual loading station. This would make it easier to sync the trains' dispatches so they can duel. When one train is in rehab, it could still duel with three train operation and one side of the station. It could possibly be a five train ride with a dual loading station but that is wishful thinking and one train would always be stacked.

RCDB says the ride only has two trains I can see the lines all the way back to Apocalypse already

It just makes me laugh every time someone complains about how the structure will look, how the elements will feel, etc, before it's even built- BEFORE IT'S EVEN BUILT!

It's fair to say that you can't truly judge a coaster before you ride it. Animations and POV's never do a ride justice. But complaints about how it will look are totally legitimate. Especially regarding Twisted Colossus. We all know how the ride looks as it currently stands. This makes it very simple to get an idea of how it will look with lower turnarounds and whatnot. Will it still dominate? Sure, the lift hill and first turnaround will. But the last half wont quite as much as it used to. With all that said, the excitement factor is going to be off the charts with those twists right next to the parking lot. We all know what coaster people will be bolting for. Hope this takes some load off X2.

This will be a nice showpiece, right there in your face at the parking lot!

And somebody mentioned if they made the main entrance right there, going through this beast- that would be sweet, not gonna happen but could you imagine going through security right there under the structure as the trains roar by overhead?

This will be a nice showpiece, right there in your face at the parking lot!

And somebody mentioned if they made the main entrance right there, going through this beast- that would be sweet, not gonna happen but could you imagine going through security right there under the structure as the trains roar by overhead?

How bout a season pass holder exclusive entrance instead? Now that would be nice!

It's fair to say that you can't truly judge a coaster before you ride it. Animations and POV's never do a ride justice. But complaints about how it will look are totally legitimate. Especially regarding Twisted Colossus. We all know how the ride looks as it currently stands. This makes it very simple to get an idea of how it will look with lower turnarounds and whatnot. Will it still dominate? Sure, the lift hill and first turnaround will. But the last half wont quite as much as it used to. With all that said, the excitement factor is going to be off the charts with those twists right next to the parking lot. We all know what coaster people will be bolting for. Hope this takes some load off X2.

Nicely Put, Thank You!

Edited by Wes

Everybody needs to remember to divide all the stats (number of airtime hills, number of inversions, and ride time) by two, since this will undoubtedly be a dual loading platform coaster. If you want a 4 minute ride you will have to wait in line twice for two 2 minute rides.