TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't think they are having you go around twice, but the concept artwork is indeed confusing on that issues because it doesn't show the full setup of the stations, etc. While it would be badass to go around twice for coaster enthusiasts, it's unnecessary, and therefore SF wouldn't want to pay for it when they could get double the capacity (or rather, be able to alternate keeping one side closed and one side open in a few years).

The ride looks great though, I love the stall. Better make sure we all get our classic woodie credits in while we still can, no wooden coaster is safe from RMC anymore!

Watch the video all the way through. They show multiple times the section where the train gets to the second lift and the track switches from blue to green. It goes around twice.

Now, how the hell are they going to synchronise two trains??? Add this to the horrible operations of Magic Mountain, and you get a coaster that SHOULD duel but will be a second time coaster. Still looks to pack quite a punch! It'S just a bit sad to see such a giant among coasters getting remastered in a much smaller layout.

Now you can scream AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN! And shablam, you're of to another turn!

Le Monstre at La Ronde has to get the same sort of treatment!

Edited by ThatMaverick

I believe the ride ops will have the be on top of their game to get the trains out of the station on time so that the coasters duel, too. If that's true, this ride will eat through the line with no problem.

Agreed.

Though the animation only shows three trains, it wouldn't surprise me if the ride has the capability to run five trains.

At first I had my doubts that RMC would be able to make a masterpiece out of Colossus, but I guess I've been proven wrong. I'm impressed with how they were able to make what were the original long turnarounds into thrilling parts. Although, the best sounding parts to me are that you basically traverse the course twice in one cycle, and the fact that it has 18 airtime moments. Also, it's cool that they're bringing the high-five element to the US (correct me if I'm wrong). If they sync up the coasters to run together, it will be a much more interesting experience. Even though a new coaster isn't really what Magic Mountain needs right now, I think it will a fantastic addition to the park. I wish I lived closer to LA...

Wow, looks awesome. I'll have to plan another trip to Cali next year.

When both my kids are in college next year they won't be starting class until mid-late September. When do crowds drop off during the week for SFMM? I would assume mid-late August when Cali schools go back in session?

wow, looks like a great, fun ride.

But what an odd final design, no? Two fairly short-ish (but very cool) runs separated by a lift hill. I wonder how that will flow -- but i love the idea of getting the first drop twice and having two very different runs along a similar general path.

What was surprising (to me at least) was the following:

1. Lift hill was not raised by much. I am a little surprised they didn't go for a bigger drop. For instance, just raising the lift hill to 160ft -ish and use the entire original course once, which would have got them to the total 5,000 ft. without a second lift hill run. Obviously, SFMM or RMC wanted to preserve the racing aspect of Colossus, which I understand and like, and so there was no interest in using the entire layout.

2. Pretty radical reconfiguration of the original layout. I was somewhat surprised with how radically they have reconfigured the ride after the first turn-around -- I didn't see them abandoning about 50% of the layout and having the course reversed after the first turn-around. Also the rest of the ride is fairly unrecognizable, with the severe lowering and reconfiguration of the third turnaround hill. Will look like half of colossus was semi-preserved, and then a brand new ride at the back end. I didn't expect the profile to change so much given how RMC largely preserved Texas giant and other makeovers. I like it, though.

Overall: I really like the Moebius style and the way the trains interact.

The inevitable nit-picking point: I would have gone the full monty and kept most of the original layout to make each run a bit longer and kill the length record at the same time. I think the first run (the blue run) will fly by and it will be odd to hit a lift hill again so quickly. The pacing might have been better had they routed it past the lift hill again and swung it around. Still, kickass.

The Cyclone layout technically looks a bit more "complete" (as in a complete well-paced ride), but personally I think Colossus will ride better -- i like more out-and-back, 'open' type layouts as opposed to twisters, and Colossus looks like it will be great fun.

Yeah, that second lift hill looks like it'll play an important role in synchronizing the dueling aspect, perhaps delaying or catching up the train on its second lap with one just leaving the station. My guess is that this will be largely automated, thus minimizing chances of non-dueling rides.

Another point is that on the high-five, because it's on a curve here, it seems that one lap could produce positive forces, but the second time through will result in insane negative g's.

Edited by Rotura Violenta

Watching that vid not only has me excited, but heartbroken because we're NEVER gonna see two trains side-by-side ever again after the first few weeks of operation.

My first thought as well. I'm gonna make sure to get down there ASAP when it opens to experience that. This thing looks so awesomely insane though that SFMM's inevitable bad operations are my only criticism.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. This looks absolutely fantastic and I'm legit excited about this ride. I have about .05% faith the trains will be synced after media day. Did anyone notice how fast the train shoots up the second lift in the animatic? Haha.

The new Twisted Colossus dual-lift coaster will require precise timing to dispatch one train every 110 seconds so that riders on both tracks will simultaneously climb the parallel lift hills and navigate the high-five element together.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81201830/

This got me a little "concerned" on the capacity of this ride -- that 110-second dispatch seems very slow, and would put the capacity at 700 PPH. That can't be right, can it?