TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Twisted Colossus Announced for 2015:

news_twistedcolossusla.jpg.41754894dadc5ea2727facd06dc46560.jpg

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Another Record Breaker for 2015

Iconic “Woodie” Returns As Twisted Colossus — World’s Longest Hybrid Coaster

Link: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/twisted-colossus/overview

Video:

Six Flags Magic Mountain, the “Thrill Capital of the World,” and voted by USA TODAY readers as America’s Best Theme Park, today unveiled plans for the highly anticipated, world-record-breaking hybrid coaster, Twisted Colossus, an unprecedented, awe-inspiring four-minute journey through nearly 5,000 feet of track and two lift hills.

Twisted Colossus, the next generation of the beloved wooden roller coaster that thrilled millions of guests in its 36-year reign at the park, will be a unique technological marvel combining an iconic wooden structure with state-of-the-art Iron Horse Track. The advanced technology, available exclusively at Six Flags, provides ride experiences never before possible on wooden coasters, such as over-banked turns and inversions. Twisted Colossus will feature numerous exciting components including a “Top Gun” element, the western hemisphere’s first “High Five” element, and a Zero G Roll.

“At Six Flags, innovation is in our DNA and with Twisted Colossus, innovation will go to an extreme level with record-breaking elements, faster speeds and steeper banks. This cutting-edge technology marries the best of both classic and modern coaster designs. It is definitely a twist on a traditional wooden coaster experience,” said park president Bonnie Rabjohn.

Twisted Colossus, the next generation of the beloved wooden roller coaster that thrilled millions of guests in its 36-year reign at the park, will be a unique technological marvel combining an iconic wooden structure with state-of-the-art Iron Horse Track. The advanced technology, available exclusively at Six Flags, provides ride experiences never before possible on wooden coasters, such as over-banked turns and inversions. Twisted Colossus will feature numerous exciting components including a “Top Gun” element, the western hemisphere’s first “High Five” element, and a Zero G Roll.

With its unique construction, Twisted Colossus will feature:

- “Top Gun Stall” – an inversion where the train slows down upside down

- Western Hemisphere’s first “High Five” – where two trains pass through an overbanked turn facing each other with the illusion that you can reach out and “high five” other riders

- Zero G Roll where track twists 360 degrees

- A staggering 128-foot drop at an amazing 80-degrees

- 18 airtime hills

- Two lift hills on one continuous track

- Four minutes of thrills on nearly 5,000 feet of track – longest hybrid coaster in the world

Twisted Colossus will be the focal point of the newly themed area, Back Alley, where you can expect the unexpected through whimsical experiences in entertainment, food and retail. The original Colossus wooden coaster opened on June 29, 1978 and offered its farewell run on August 17, 2014.

Twisted Colossus — the World's Longest Hybrid Coaster

Opening Date: Spring 2015

Height Restriction: Must be at least 48” tall

Location: Twisted Colossus will be the focal point of the newly themed area, Back Alley, where guests can expect the unexpected through whimsical experiences in entertainment, food and retail.

Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain Construction

gallery_twistedcolossus4b.thumb.jpg.a79574b3851f53a2ecd434afbd35216d.jpg

gallery_twistedcolossus2b.thumb.jpg.39f46d13c2c814775414fd92a3bf722f.jpg

gallery_twistedcolossus1_0.thumb.jpg.222ebf4cad37984ce58b342ad7f6420b.jpg

twistedcolossuslogoblack.thumb.png.cb35a1c7f73befd930ca848fe8340458.png

Edited by robbalvey

Watching that vid not only has me excited, but heartbroken because we're NEVER gonna see two trains side-by-side ever again after the first few weeks of operation.

it's not a racer...it's one track with 2 lift hills. so, i hope there is something that can sync the trains on the lift.

Looks like we are finally getting a RMC creation, sweet! I like how they made it so it'll still race and the focus doesn't seem to be on the inversions, although I think its awesome we got a high five element and zero-g stall, plus it seems like there will actually be some good airtime moments in there as well. I'm really looking forward to riding this thing. They kept it simple; almost like a nod to the old colossus. I'm not dissapointed

Watching that vid not only has me excited, but heartbroken because we're NEVER gonna see two trains side-by-side ever again after the first few weeks of operation.

it's not a racer...it's one track with 2 lift hills. so, i hope there is something that can sync the trains on the lift.

The press release says

Four minutes of thrills on nearly 5,000 feet of track

That length doesn't match up at all with it being one long ride, wouldn't that mean it's staying the same as a racer with two sides?

Edited by Garet

I'm impressed! Looks like they paid homage to the original version of Colossus while really giving it a good update! The first drop looks amazing, and I like how the inversions sort of "interact" with the other side of the track. I'm genuinely excited for it. Can't wait!

That length doesn't match up at all with it being one long ride, i'm pretty sure it's staying the same as a racer with two sides.

The original length was only 4235'.

In the video, one of the track sections changes from blue to green. Look at the finish.

Looks like Colossus will now be a mobius coaster.

That's what I mean. The vid shows two trains at least near each other when on the lift hills, and the likelihood we'll see that occurring ever again is once in a blue moon (if the things I've heard about operations is true).

Granted, I'm still excited to see the West Coast finally getting an RMC!

Edited by StuckInSD