TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This is probably the dumbest thought I've ever had, but anyone else excited at the possibility of SFMM landscaping the area around Colossus a bit for this project?

I'm not asking for anything fancy.. maybe just paint over the old parking spaces and fix the cracked concrete? I mean this isn't a generic cookie-cutter B&M, it's most likely going to be their flagship coaster along with X2 and it's definitely going to be their most visible coaster from both Highway 5 and the parking lot. They might want to treat it extra nice?

I realize how dumb this sounds now that I'm reading it out loud to myself. It'll probably be sitting on a big plot of garbage and broken nails opening day.

I'm just going on the fact that every twisted drop I've ever been on sucks (ie, Riddler, Batman, Viper) compared to a straight drop (Goliath, YOLOcoaster, even old Colossus). You don't get that good feeling at all.

Let me be frank, and of course, this is just MHO.

All of Riddler sucks.

The Batman at SFGAdv is WAY better than the SFMM one, and all of these Batman coasters are meh compared to the best of that style.

Viper -- well, there's a reason most of the SF parks have taken out their seven loop Arrow coasters -- they were state of the art at the time -- I was there for media day for Viper's opening, actually -- but they haven't worn particularly well.

Long story short, it's not just the "twisted drop" that sucks on these rides. The rides themselves aren't very good. They aren't well maintained, so there's a lot of needless banging around, which slows the ride down, and makes it boring.

Second point, these three you mentioned have banked, curved drops. They aren't twisted, where the train makes a tight flat spiral.

I can assure you there are great coasters out there that have banked first drops. I can also assure you that a vertical twisted drop is something unusual that has nothing in common with a banked curved drop.

Hmm, what do I read about most often? How "OMFG amazing" and "freakin' fantastic" and "best" Skyrush and Expedition G Force's first drops are. Recent reviews of Banshee? "wicked first drop" and "surprisingly great first drop with airtime".

So I think it's fair to say twisting drops might only 'suck' at SFMM. Overall they're highly acclaimed seeing EGF and Skyrush are contenders for the top coaster in the world.

Watch it come out with a twisting/inverting drop like on Iron Medusa and people will still complain

You guys can't seriously read "the trains may actually roll you over upside-down before taking a damn near vertical drop, where they will continue to twist and roll you around 180º to face forward once again before pulling out." and immediately think it's going to be a Scream/Riddler/Batman/Viper drop? This is RMC we're talking about. Look at Medusa!

My nightmares have come true!!! Were getting a twisted drop ((( So disappointed!!!

I also agree with this!!!

I was hoping for a steep straight drop like Goliath(SFGAm). SFMM has/had a chance to turn Colossus back into a major airtime machine, yet the more I hear the more it sounds like another inversion fest. Yeah there still maybe some airtime this is RMC, Im just sick of SFMM and inversions. The most I was hoping for inversion wise was maybe a Zero g stall not a twisted mass of loops and barrel rolls.

If they're going to do a Dragster type spiral, they're going to need to give the ride a little more height.

I do agree with this. The structure will look odd to have a spiral drop. IMHO, sorry for the horrible sketch of what the first drop will look like

image.thumb.jpg.94809fccb61f08e48b1117f29db38a0a.jpg

Edited by Diamondbacker27

I would like to take this opportunity to show that an amazing twisting drop CAN be done.

STORM RUNNER.

The picture's not the best, but this element has to be one of my favorite elements on ANY coaster. I imagine Colossus's new first drop will be pretty similar.

100_1007.thumb.JPG.7161db8b9e7e968b1f503997915cea7a.JPG

We don't even know the for sure layout yet. Twisting drop or regular drop, doesn't matter to me. I'll still ride it and if it is anything like RMC's other creations, then it'll be a kick butt ride!

After YOLO last time with YOLOcoaster, I wonder if SFMM will go with COLT (Colossus Only Lives Twice)...yeah, that was lame.

If they're going to do a Dragster type spiral, they're going to need to give the ride a little more height.

Yep, and I think that some additional height is likely. If they didn't rework the first hill, I suspect the general public would be fairly meh to the new ride, given that it sits right next to Goliath, even if it did have some interesting element.

My best guess is that they'll build a new lift hill, with some interesting new elements off of it, before the track heads over to the existing structure. It would not surprise me in the least if the new lift hill topped 200 feet -- you'd spend money on that first hill, possibly an inversion or two, a second hill, and then you'd merge in with the existing structure.

This could work regardless if they made the two existing tracks into one long single track, or if they just made the two tracks into one short single track.

I'm just upset because this was sfmm one real shot at a top 10 coaster, and there's not one top 10 coaster with a twisting drop. Just saying

Probably because not too many enthusiasts have gone down to Six Flags Mexico to ride Medusa: Steel Coaster yet. That sure looks like a top 10 coaster to me.

This is RMC we're talking about. This thing is going to be an incredible ride no matter how they build it, straight drop, twisting drop, or whatever. I'm sure they'll put in some killer airtime hills and drops throughout the ride. The first drop isn't everything.

EDIT: Neither is airtime for that matter. Sometimes a top 10 ride can be a plain old looping coaster with some great pacing. Example: Mind Bender and Kumba, both are in my top 10.

I'm just upset because this was sfmm one real shot at a top 10 coaster, and there's not one top 10 coaster with a twisting drop. Just saying

Probably because not too many enthusiasts have gone down to Six Flags Mexico to ride Medusa: Steel Coaster yet. That sure looks like a top 10 coaster to me.

This is RMC we're talking about. This thing is going to be an incredible ride no matter how they build it, straight drop, twisting drop, or whatever. I'm sure they'll put in some killer airtime hills and drops throughout the ride. The first drop isn't everything.

I have to agree. There is only one ride where I'd say the first drop is the best part of the ride, Leviathan. Now look on my signature as to where it is on the list... Second from the BOTTOM. First drop is definitely not everything.

I have great faith in RMC, and definitely believe this and Wicked Cyclone will be world class rides.