TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The link redirects. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

they are all dead links for me, except for the classic colossus one. i just assume, i know, never assume, that it will just keep the old stats around for people to view.

They all say "Access denied" so.......

Alright! So RMC colossus confirmed! I know it was obvious for years now but those links are the first official piece of confirmation from six flags. I'm happy.

And if the original guy with the "sources" is right, then itll be the longest RMC. Good luck filling that with inversions only, it sounds like an airtime machine!!!! Don't kill my hype Rob! I'm so excited!

Not to sidetrack the conversation back to roller coasters currently operating.... Headed to the park this Friday - I'm expecting pretty good crowds since it kicks off the holiday weekend. I know back in the day it was always "run to X2 first" - is still that the recommended thing to do? Or do you go to Full Throttle/Green Lantern first? I was thinking X2 then Green Lantern. (And no, I'm not thinking FlashPass as I just want to get in ride the few rides I haven't been on and X2 and get out).

Goliath looks like it could stop 5 seconds earlier and still pack a punch. I don't know how those folks at Great America are not having their minds exploded by that ride.

No ride Great America has built in the last 20 years has had the reception Goliath has. I can't wait to see season attendance numbers, but I would not be surprised if the ride has added over 1 million more guests over last season. The park has had it's most crowded year in several decades. It helps that it has a 48" ride height and was marketed correctly. Batman was the last ride to have this kind of impact.

However about the only complaint I have heard is that it is too short. It carries tons of speed back to the station. It feels like a shorter El Toro to me.

It's impact on other lines has been very noticeable. Great America will have to figure out where to reroute the que line this offseason. It has been hundreds of feet beyond Iron Wolfs overflow que all season, taking up a midway area and wrapping around the train station, which has left that ride closed all season.

Not to sidetrack the conversation back to roller coasters currently operating.... Headed to the park this Friday - I'm expecting pretty good crowds since it kicks off the holiday weekend. I know back in the day it was always "run to X2 first" - is still that the recommended thing to do? Or do you go to YOLOcoaster/Green Lantern first? I was thinking X2 then Green Lantern. (And no, I'm not thinking FlashPass as I just want to get in ride the few rides I haven't been on and X2 and get out).

These days its a pickem between YOLO and X2. Personally I usually go to YOLO first because X2's line tends to die more in the latter half of the day than YOLO, but you could go either way. Whichever you choose, its a good idea to go to the back of the park next because with most of the people starting at X2/YOLO and going from there the back of the park is always dead in the mornings. I'd go YOLO, GL, Batman/Riddler, Apocalypse, then work your way from there. Also I bet Scream! is probably going to be super dead all day every day since it was relatively unpopular to begin with and now is all by itself in that corner.

Not to sidetrack the conversation back to roller coasters currently operating.... Headed to the park this Friday - I'm expecting pretty good crowds since it kicks off the holiday weekend. I know back in the day it was always "run to X2 first" - is still that the recommended thing to do? Or do you go to YOLOcoaster/Green Lantern first? I was thinking X2 then Green Lantern. (And no, I'm not thinking FlashPass as I just want to get in ride the few rides I haven't been on and X2 and get out).

These days its a pickem between YOLO and X2. Personally I usually go to YOLO first because X2's line tends to die more in the latter half of the day than YOLO, but you could go either way. Whichever you choose, its a good idea to go to the back of the park next because with most of the people starting at X2/YOLO and going from there the back of the park is always dead in the mornings. I'd go YOLO, GL, Batman/Riddler, Apocalypse, then work your way from there. Also I bet Scream! is probably going to be super dead all day every day since it was relatively unpopular to begin with and now is all by itself in that corner.

Yeah, what he said. My experiences recently have been that YOLO has poor throughput so the lines tend to stay ridiculous pretty much all day long. X2 gets a big line early but once you've ridden it, it's not something people get all excited about reriding, and the locker policy (everything in a locker, even refillable drink containers) makes it a pain in the butt and a few extra dollars every time you ride, so I think it's not terribly popular with STH anyway.

Cut through the gift shop, go directly to YOLO, then go anywhere, Green Lantern or Tatsu would be my pick as they are both difficult in terms of lines. (I think Riddler is running very rough, I like Apocalypse but lines are erratic, Batman is meh... I could see Green Lantern than Goliath, or Green Lantern then Lex Luthor.) Scream is always dead. Rare to see any line on Riddler or Batman either.

YOLO seems to have long lines all the time

Tatsu seems to have long lines all the time

X2 seems to have long lines in the morning

Apocalypse can have long lines but normally not, might be worse now that Colossus is down

Goliath tends to have long lines but the ride has good throughput, rare to wait more than 45 minutes even in big crowds

Lex Luthor, Superman and Green Lantern have crappy throughput so even a short line can take a while, especially for GL (consider single rider if there isn't anyone in the single rider line)

I think that mostly covers the bases. I've heard Ninja lines can get a bit long these days as they are running one train.

Enjoy.

Hey AndrewRnR,

By any chance do you have a Honda? If so, you can get in an hour early this Friday. Superman and Ninja will be operating, then you can wander over to the ride of your choice to get on first thing before the GP enters.

I did this a couple weeks ago. Rode Goliath a couple times, then wandered over to Tatsu. Got to ride back to back, once in front and once in back.

And the advice about X2 being less of a line in the afternoon is spot on. Went on it about 4:30, and only had to wait 15 minutes or so.

Note: You do not have to drive the Honda into the park, but if you do, they give free parking for the first (?) ones to enter, I don't remember how many. My wife has the Honda, I have a Charger. All I had to do was show her key at the gates to get in.

Another good tip that I'm assuming is still true is that they have a separate entrance for Discover cardholders. Those folks get let in just a little early, maybe 5-10 minutes before the posted time, but minutes can mean a lot!

Discover has no annual fee and so I applied for and got one just so I could get into MM a little earlier on the occasional trips I make there. It matters -- on January 1st we got in a few minutes early, cut through the gift shop, rode YOLO and then immediately got back in line and probably only had to wait two trains. The GP showed up in force by the time we were off the second ride, I'd guess the line was 45 minutes at two minutes after park open.

Just got home . SFMM was E M P T Y. As in no crowds or lines. Seems perfect week to go as its last full week and seems most are back in school.

Yeah, end of august/beginning of september is always the least crowded time of the whole year. The first time I ever went to the park was on 9/1/07, every ride in the park was a walk-on except X which was about a 10 minute wait and I think we waited about 5 minutes for Deja Vu.

Pretty excited for the announcement! After riding NTAG and Iron Rattler, I have no fears if RMC is involved. Even if it ends up as RMC's worst creation, it will probably still stand as the best coaster at the park (and California in general).

RMC's worst coaster to date is still better than 99% of all roller coasters in the world.

That's quite a track record!!!

RMC's worst coaster to date is still better than 99% of all roller coasters in the world.

That's quite a track record!!!

So true! Is it even fair to call it "worst"? Maybe "least best" or something

I'm not even sure I could say which is "least best." I haven't had the privilege to ride any yet, what do you think?

^ I've only been on the two I listed, New Tx. Giant and Iron Rattler, the former of which is better, but Iron Rattler is easily a top 10 ride on nearly anybody's list, so it hardly matters. Seriously, if RMC puts in something at SFMM, I think it will definitely turn people's heads in California. We don't have anything like those currently (and unfortunately)

I am wondering as to why there is a page titled "Classic Colossus". I'm guessing that it'll just be an article on the history of the original ride, but I'm wondering if they'll keep one side the original way. Sure, it'd be a stupid decision, but I wouldn't put it past SFMM.

I am really looking forward to what RMC does with this massive structure. It should be spectacular, whatever they do with it.