TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yes I have seen NTAG in person. It's personal preference really.

You...you realize NTAG is the original structure, yes?

Edit - You can see the color difference where RMC added their new structure atop the existing.

Has anyone even noticed that the word "Giga" is listed in the names SFMM has posted? I hope it's a clue that's it'll be a Giga coaster, cause that'll be weird for them to randomly have that on the list. But that's just my opinion

To be fair, the list also includes "Bobsled" and "X3". You can make a million predictions by picking out words from that list.

Before everyone gets all excited that RMC will be on-site soon...the de-construction right now is probably still being done by the park themselves. They will be removing anything they want to salvage before it is turned over to the contractor to begin work on the new version of the ride.

Also, as a side note...I can't even keep track of what the actual last train was. Between Saturday's advertised final day, Sunday's pass holder day, and the following employee event...I've seen 5 or 6 claims of being on the "last" train!

Here's my hope.

I could imagine an RMC conversion where the two current tracks are utilized, as they are more or less, with some elements added, but as one long track.

The secret sauce? New lift hill, very high, probably giga, likely starting outside the existing structure and bracing and recontouring and raising one of the existing first drops. Use the outer circuit with extra material added above and around, including some inversion and "bridge" type structures between the existing hills, add banking. Keep the second circuit somewhat like it is currently but with no braking, faster, so the elements can be felt the way they were meant to be felt.

Note that I'm not suggesting a second lift hill. I don't think that's necessary. The current structure runs fine at about 50 mph maximum speed. If you went giga with the first hill, and had a top speed for that of 80 plus mph, then you'd have 50 plus after the first circuit.

I could see them using basically all of the existing structure -- for the first new cycle around, it would just essentially be the scaffolding for the rest of the ride, which would mostly be at 150 to 200 feet off the ground, and the second cycle would be much like the current ride, just easier to maintain and still a bit more thrilling due to a higher speed.

That's what I'd like to see anyway.

Also, as a side note...I can't even keep track of what the actual last train was. Between Saturday's advertised final day, Sunday's pass holder day, and the following employee event...I've seen 5 or 6 claims of being on the "last" train!

Quite a few people have been making "claims" that they were on the final train (as though it matters in some sort of "I have a bigger penis than you" contest) but to set the record straight, here were the real "last trains."

According to the park, this is the "last official public train" -

BvN7KlCCIAEYXwd.jpg:large

With the "last official riders" that the park tweeted out:

BvN0SUzCEAEXlDv.jpg:large

And this was the actual final train EVER to leave the station - (after hours employee party to send a final farewell to the coaster!)

Those are the only people with any REAL "bragging rights!"

Edited by robbalvey

Does being on the "final Colossus train" entitle you to free coffee and beer for life? Then it would be worth it.

Being on one of the actual last final trains entitles you to being cooler than the rest of us. Pretending to be on one of the last final trains in an effort to get fake bragging rights entitles you to be a guest on this show:

Edited by robbalvey

On another note, did anybody here like Colossus backwards better than forwards? Considering the ride was a bit boring to begin with, the backwards ride added to it. Plus, even with the old Psyclone trains that the track wasn't usually used to, the ride was pretty smooth except in the "dip" of the double-up. On yet another note, do you think they'll continue the "tradition" of Colossus going backwards during Fright Fest if it is Iron Horsed?

And on YET another note, I'm VERY excited to see what this will bring. Will it be an Iron Horse racer? "Single Ride Möbius" layout? One coaster? Will they make it taller? Will it follow a similar layout? As Colossus has a somewhat bland layout, I'm excited to see what RMC could do. As for names, YOLOssus sounds pretty good . I've seen other people call it that, too.

(as though it matters in some sort of "I have a bigger penis than you" contest)

No, I win the "bigger penis than you" contest for Colossus. Although Elissa has a much bigger ropes course penis than I do.

This is quite a bit of truth to this statement right here.

Edited by robbalvey

I know at some point where was a walkback of Colossus, right *Robb posted a pic from it earlier in this thread*? I couldn't find it, but I'm really curious to see fairly up close pictures of the old hills (that are still visible in the structure) ... I assume the removed the track there, right? And it's just the old supports that help highlight what used to be?

While I'm busy making requests for pictures, does anyone have a 1992 or 1993 aerial picture of the Colossus corner of the park? Specifically, I'm curious to see what that area looked like prior to Hurricane Harbor going in. It's been so long, now, that all I recall was the lake/pond that used to be there - and even that memory is faint at this point. I've found plenty of old aerials from the 70's and even 80's, but I'm curious to see what the "more filled in park" of the '90's looked like without Hurricane Harbor. (Crazy to think that there are now adults that ONLY know the park with Hurricane Harbor there!)

On another note, did anybody here like Colossus backwards better than forwards? Considering the ride was a bit boring to begin with, the backwards ride added to it. Plus, even with the old Psyclone trains that the track wasn't usually used to, the ride was pretty smooth except in the "dip" of the double-up. On yet another note, do you think they'll continue the "tradition" of Colossus going backwards during Fright Fest if it is Iron Horsed?

I remember liking it more backwards than forward. I also felt the same about Psyclone. So, I decided to ride with my nephew from out of town this past reverse stint. In that Psyclone train, in whatever row we were in, I thought it was one of the worst wooden experiences I've ever had. LOL But back in the day, I remember really liking it. go figure.

I wasn't planning on riding Colossus ever again after that. But figured I'd get one last ride before it closed. I hadn't ridden Colossus forward in a number of years, but felt it was surprising decently smooth. At least in the front.

After riding SFGA Goliath last month, and Robb saying its his least favorite RMC, I'm hoping for any RMC to replace Colossus. Hoping for a zero g stall!

I think if they did the RMC treatment and kept the existing structure, it would be a very interesting choice by Six Flags. and the only reason why I say that is because the structure is white.. Why would they want to keep up with maintaining the paint of the ride in the future? seems like a lot of money and work. Not like they really care about painting though. Look at Tatsu and Scream.

I remember liking it more backwards than forward. I also felt the same about Psyclone. So, I decided to ride with my nephew from out of town this past reverse stint. In that Psyclone train, in whatever row we were in, I thought it was one of the worst wooden experiences I've ever had. LOL But back in the day, I remember really liking it. go figure.

I wasn't planning on riding Colossus ever again after that. But figured I'd get one last ride before it closed. I hadn't ridden Colossus forward in a number of years, but felt it was surprising decently smooth. At least in the front.

After riding SFGA Goliath last month, and Robb saying its his least favorite RMC, I'm hoping for any RMC to replace Colossus. Hoping for a zero g stall!

Sorry to derail, but why the least favorite? Length? I'd say Goliath is a kickass ride, but quite short.

I'm expecting the ride to be brown instead of the classic white. My main reason being is that will be the best way for the ride to be marketed as something new to a lot of the GP who will see a white wooden ride and say "Colossus is still open!" Isn't that why they changed the X2's paint as well?

Wouldn't the orange/red or blue or whatever rails on Colossus stand out, as well as the inversions and steep drops that the ride may very well get? If it gets a drastic transformation, a GP would have to be a complete idiot if they saw that and thought that it was the same old Colossus. NTAG, IRat, and Medusa were not repainted. I think Colossus should stay with white supports. The ride is iconic, and it would be nice to keep an appearance that is reminiscent of the old times while still having an epic ride experience.

Sorry to derail, but why the least favorite? Length? I'd say Goliath is a kickass ride, but quite short.

I'm expecting the ride to be brown instead of the classic white. My main reason being is that will be the best way for the ride to be marketed as something new to a lot of the GP who will see a white wooden ride and say "Colossus is still open!" Isn't that why they changed the X2's paint as well?

Wouldn't the orange/red or blue or whatever rails on Colossus stand out, as well as the inversions and steep drops that the ride may very well get? If it gets a drastic transformation, a GP would have to be a complete idiot if they saw that and thought that it was the same old Colossus. NTAG, IRat, and Medusa were not repainted. I think Colossus should stay with white supports. The ride is iconic, and it would be nice to keep an appearance that is reminiscent of the old times while still having an epic ride experience.

I completely agree that it would be cool to keep it white for the reminiscence of the classic Colossus but I think Six Flags would be stupid to want to keep the up-keep of re-painting it white in the future. They don't even re-paint their current coasters as it is... If it was going to go brown instead of white, doesn't that mean they would have to demolish the existing structure and build an entirely new one?

I doubt they'll make it brown... They probably would want to use the old structure (didn't somebody confirm it will use part of the structure, effectively screaming "RMC"?) and I doubt they'd scrape all the paint off the structure. Nor would they let the white paint rot away completely - imagine the bad publicity THAT would create.