TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Didn't NTAG take 1-1.5 years to Iron Horse? Was that due to the fact that it was the first or that it was a long, rather twisty layout? If it was the latter, Colossus also has a long layout which isn't extremely accessible from the outside, so it might take longer. iRat's layout was more spread out and easier to access, especially when the helix was demolished. Of course, Medusa was a (smaller) twister layout, and didn't it get Iron Horsed in a short time frame?

Call me dumb, but I don't understand why a bigger project would take a longer time. Who would be stopping them from, you know, having a larger crew in order to get the work done? Seems like a simple solution.

More trained supervisors, iron workers, etc etc who have technical skills and experience in the firm that won the bid. It's the reason no major project goes up in a day simply because they would want it to.

^^I think your post kinda proves my point that the size of the project shouldn't really matter when it comes to completion time. I know Medusa at SFM took less than a season to build, and while shorter than iRat and NTAG, the terrain it sits on is not the most welcoming on the planet. I also know that they had a core group of RMC employees and hired the rest of the crew locally, so once again, I think they can hire however many people they need to in order to get the project completed by its opening date.

Yeah, I know SFMM blah blah blah but I'm posting this as if a reputable company is in charge of the project, so for once I don't think that an SFMM factor will play into the completion time.

Colossus also has a long layout which isn't extremely accessible from the outside, so it might take longer.

But don't they have an entire parking lot of space on the side? If Magic Mountain could pull off Tatsu as fast as they did then they can pull off Iron Colossus.

Edited by iloveblueberries

Great photos - I guess there hasn't been any RMC-branded vehicles on site?

Also, and this may sound odd, it's still striking to me how vivid the old hills are in the structure...do we have close ups of what they look like? It's really interesting that all these years later, they're still so prominent when you look at the structure.

It would be interesting for them to move the park entrance to that side of the park so it would be much closer for guests. Also that way you could enter beneath the new RMC Colossus in a similar way you go underneath Gatekeeper at Cedar Point. Would it also be possible to enter Hurricane Harbor from that side as well?

It would be interesting for them to move the park entrance to that side of the park so it would be much closer for guests. Also that way you could enter beneath the new RMC Colossus in a similar way you go underneath Gatekeeper at Cedar Point. Would it also be possible to enter Hurricane Harbor from that side as well?

That would be amazing!! Not having to wait for a tram or making that long trek back to the car with sore feet

Can the Waterpark be accessed from that point also?

They would have to put in some type of "main street" for gift shops and food stands. It could be grand if they did not do it on the cheap. Also an entrance there would give better access to both sides of the park. I am sure that would save on trams and it also opens the "old entrance" to expansion opportunities. Not going to happen.

The food is good at the Johnny rockets at Knotts. So not all theme park JR are bad

That actually makes sense, because the reason its bad at Six Flags is because its Six Flags. Despite Cedar Fair being a cut above, if I were JR I'd want to run or at least train those locations myself to protect my brand.

Yes, that would be nice. Even if they don't reroute the main gate, it would be nice if they put in a summer gate, or gate for pass holders over by scream.

^^ The ride was long rumored to be getting the RMC treatment (ever since the construction of the New Texas Giant in 2011) around 2015/2016. Earlier this year magic mountain announced they would be closing the ride down. We will find out on the 28th what the park is going to be doing. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for a RMC coaster though.

^^ The ride was long rumored to be getting the RMC treatment (ever since the construction of the New Texas Giant in 2011) around 2015/2016. Earlier this year magic mountain announced they would be closing the ride down. We will find out on the 28th what the park is going to be doing. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for a RMC coaster though.
I'm pretty sure it's a strong bet that RMC is iron horsing Colossus. If they weren't planning on doing it, the ride might be open for a little while longer, and there might be completely destroyed sections of the coaster. It's the same pattern we saw with NTAG, iRat, and Medusa. This is all but confirmed to be RMC. Edited by simaticable

Anyone happen to spot Six Flags CEO Jim Anderson at any of the parks recently??? Last year's announcement video had him doing 2 "live" segments for both SFGAdv & SFSL while the rest were on a soundstage of sorts. Maybe someone within earshot might get the inside track. Then again they might have already wrapped and could be in post..

My guess is they'll completely gut the entire structure and build an RMC from scratch, like Outlaw Run or Goliath. I don't think they would reuse that old structure. I'm really hoping they rebuild the station too, it looks really outdated.

I can definitely see that happening! If they do that before the announcement it's going to be a total ****storm of controversy and speculation. And on more of a personal note, I hope the ride doesn't look ugly and Popsicle Stick-y like the other RMC coasters.

My guess is they'll completely gut the entire structure and build an RMC from scratch, like Outlaw Run or Goliath. I don't think they would reuse that old structure. I'm really hoping they rebuild the station too, it looks really outdated.

I can definitely see that happening! If they do that before the announcement it's going to be a total ****storm of controversy and speculation. And on more of a personal note, I hope the ride doesn't look ugly and Popsicle Stick-y like the other RMC coasters.

Popsickle Stick-y? Have you seen one in person? They are actually pretty striking, beautiful, and intimidating.

Every RMC conversion so far has utilized some of the existing structure, and I highly doubt Colossus will be any different. At minimum I'm guessing the structure for the lift hill and the two turns will remaining mostly intact, with modifications as necessary to accommodate new elements (probably a taller lift with a steeper drop and some type of turn other than a flat unbanked one). I wouldn't be surprised if the middle structure, especially that for the midcourse brakes, is entirely replaced.

As for the station, unless they move it I'm guessing there won't be many modifications to the building itself. The queue layout will probably change, especially if there is only one track.