TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This is how I see it as well. If the park were getting another B&M, I wouldn't be very excited at all, but the combo of RMC and the iconic nature of Colossus makes me look forward to this.

Of course if any park could mess this up, it's SFMM.

Combining the tracks would make it the world's longest coaster, wouldn't it? Seems like a very attractive record to hold, my bet is that's what they go with. Even if they kept it as two separate tracks it's not like they'd actually race them, this is Six Flags we're talking about. What would be the point?

EDIT: Do we even have any iron-clad proof this is getting converted or is everybody just guessing?

Edited by neil009

Combining the tracks would make it the world's longest coaster, wouldn't it? Seems like a very attractive record to hold, my bet is that's what they go with. Even if they kept it as two separate tracks it's not like they'd actually race them, this is Six Flags we're talking about. What would be the point?

Right, but this is what you've got to think about. One HUGE track is a *LOT* of track to have to maintain (even if it's less maintenance than a traditional wood coaster.) Two separate tracks means in 10 years they can still be running one while they do work on the other.

Do we honestly think that SFMM is going to be able to maintain a ride with 8,000+ feet of track?

Edited by robbalvey

Right, but this is what you've got to think about. One HUGE track is a *LOT* of track to have to maintain (even if it's less maintenance than a traditional wood coaster.) Two separate tracks means in 10 years they can still be running one while they do work on the other.

Do we honestly think that SFMM is going to be able to maintain a ride with 8,000+ feet of track?

I wasn't aware iron horse track really required any maintenance at all. But to answer your question, this being Six Flags I'd fully expect them to make a massive investment for the short term attendance boost, without any thought at all to how they'll maintain it or if the state will even allow them to run it as planned.

I wasn't aware iron horse track really required any maintenance at all. But to answer your question, this being Six Flags I'd fully expect them to make a massive investment for the short term attendance boost, without any thought at all to how they'll maintain it or if the state will even allow them to run it as planned.

Very good point!

Would California really not let SFMM run an intense RMC? In that case... Cal/OSHA or whoever is mandating this should REALLY lighten up.

I honestly can't believe I am saying this but Magic Mountain has handled the closing of Colossus amazingly well with out a hiccup. I mean honestly who knew such a bad management staff at MM could actually do something right. The whole way the ride was closed with a send off and a marathon was awesome. This is how iconic rides when they close should be handled. Now if Magic Mountain pulls this off maybe just maybe they can start to turn things around. Also just throwing this out there but RMC website states they only have three projects for the next two years. Two for 2015 which would be Colossus and Cyclone and one for 2016 which is Wildfire. So that rules out a 2016 opening date for Colossus and any other RMc projects unless something is developed quickly.

image.thumb.jpg.015a9a6354b535059a5a61fbf9613d3b.jpg

are we going to have anyone visit the park regularly from now until Six Flags announces anything, so we can see if they spill the beans like they did at SFNE? (have RMC stuff everywhere)

I'm going on Thursday. I'll post some pics. But for now here are pics of the last season pass / public Colossus train. I understand the employees get to party for a few hrs after the park closes. I saw they had drinks and food for them.

IMG_0404-1.thumb.JPG.3048f64b3dab480974cefb087edf926a.JPG

This is me towards the back on the last public car ever.

IMG_0406.thumb.JPG.dec8910ab15c31142c54f89ab04635b5.JPG

This is the front of the last Colossus train!

Edited by SimiGeek

That actually wasn't the last Colossus train... this one was!

TPR fan & Magic Mountain employee Amber made the VERY LAST #Colossus train EVER!!! RT @michaelwschwinn @vanlunatic BvTF65PCQAAPalw.jpg.70aff68b844aaea685897f61951d43fe.jpg

That's the very last train that will ever leave that station with riders in it!

BvTPF0PCMAAxsdq.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.4cc89dfddc2954921e058febd0775ba6.jpg"We got on the last train, then they let us go for a bonus round! Goal accomplished! I am so happy! "

Edited by robbalvey

TPR fan & Magic Mountain employee Amber made the VERY LAST #Colossus train EVER!!! RT @michaelwschwinn @vanlunatic [attachment=0]BvTF65PCQAAPalw.jpg[/attachment]

It was the last feasible one for me without inventing a Time Machine giving up my good paying job to work for min wage at a theme park in the hot sun. #NoThankYou

TPR fan & Magic Mountain employee Amber made the VERY LAST #Colossus train EVER!!! RT @michaelwschwinn @vanlunatic [attachment=0]BvTF65PCQAAPalw.jpg[/attachment]

It was the last feasible one for me without inventing a Time Machine giving up my good paying job to work for min wage at a theme park in the hot sun. #NoThankYou

Hey now, don't disrespect those park employees! Remember, they dispatched your final ride tonight!

Hey now, don't disrespect those park employees! Remember, they dispatched your final ride tonight!

Its no disrespect. If anything its quite the opposite. I couldn't handle that heat. I'm very red for one day at Huricane Harbor last week.