TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I agree... I think the continuous track idea would be so much better in this situation... Easily could be first half being lots of hills, second having lots of inversions... Could be cool...

I think this design is the one thing I'm most excited about for the six flags announcement next week!!

^ Oh, the continuous track thing is a potentially horrible idea. Especially if you have to go up the lift hill twice. I've always hated rides with multiple lift hills (other than maybe mine trains) as it breaks the flow of the ride. If you want to give me one lift hill and then a kick ass launch to get me more energy to make it through the second part of the ride (Hi Maverick) that's fine. But two lift hills, ugh, no....lame.

How a bout a never-been-done-before element such as interlocking vertical loops of both tracks, I mean vertical loops on a woodie that do not cause it to self destruct!

That would be a first.

You would really have to rip apart Colossus'supports to do that while keeping the ride synchronized. How about an interlocking racing corkscrew? One train passes under another as it corkscrews over and then the pass-under train does the same.

Here is a picture - the s-bends are stretched-out corkscrews/barrel rolls. The trains go in the same direction in a synchronized manner. One train passes under the rolling train. Then the train that rolled passes under the other side as the other side rolls over.

I'm really hoping that Magic Mountain stays AWAY from any "dueling" aspect. We saw how well that worked for Islands of Adventure. And let's be honest here, it's Magic Mountain we are talking about. If Universal Orlando had problems with people throwing stuff from a train and hurting people on the other train, and that's a park that gets a pretty decent clientele, you can BET that will be an issue at Magic Mountain, too. And the last thing we want is for them to have designed a really awesome feature to only have to take it away a couple of years down the road and neuter the ride.

Of course, that would be a lot like the legacy of the original Colossus, then, wouldn't it?

--Robb "It kills me a little inside every time I ride non-Dueling Dragons." Alvey

How about they just enforce a no-loose-articles policy? Zippered/Velcro/Button pockets only (except maybe things like tissues, napkins, etc. that are too light to fly directly at another train.)

^ Oh, the continuous track thing is a potentially horrible idea. Especially if you have to go up the lift hill twice. I've always hated rides with multiple lift hills (other than maybe mine trains) as it breaks the flow of the ride. If you want to give me one lift hill and then a kick A$$ launch to get me more energy to make it through the second part of the ride (Hi Maverick) that's fine. But two lift hills, ugh, no....lame.

Mavelossushark? Seriously, though, maybe they could do something like California Screamin and use launched lifts. RMC could probably pull that off.

How about they just enforce a no-loose-articles policy? Zippered/Velcro/Button pockets only (except maybe things like tissues, napkins, etc. that are too light to fly directly at another train.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That's a wonderful idea in theory, but could you just image the clusterfuck that would create? And trust me, if it could be done anywhere, I'm sure Universal Orlando could pull it off, and even they can't.

Edited by robbalvey

What, and Dueling Dragons didnt have this? There is no ride that doesnt require loose articles to be stowed, DD included. That doesnt stop accidents from happening...

That's a wonderful idea in theory, but could you just image the clusterfuck that would create? And trust me, if it could be done anywhere, I'm sure Universal Orlando could pull it off, and even they can't.

Has it worked at SFGAdv on El Toro (where the strategy is hawked all the time?) El Toro is near a midway, it isn't inconceivable that somebody could throw an object at the midway. Same with TTD's queue, you'd think that would be a recipe for disaster (although wasn't KK's old queue closed for that reason?)

Edited by GigaG

If they're going to combine both sides and make it a continuous track, in my opinion, one side at least has to have a launch and needs to be a completely different ride experience from the other side. I know one thing, Alan Schilke will give this thing the best most creative design he's allowed to give it.

Has it worked at SFGAdv on El Toro (where the strategy is hawked all the time?) El Toro is near a midway, it isn't inconceivable that somebody could throw an object at the midway. Same with TTD's queue, you'd think that would be a recipe for disaster (although wasn't KK's old queue closed for that reason?)

You and I are talking about two totally different things. We started discussing the idea of a dueling coaster and what happened on Dueling Dragons, and now you're onto "What happens if someone throws something off El Toro???" I don't even know where that came from. It's probably best to just table this right here.

Honestly, Colossus wound make a terrible, cliche RMC. Does SFMM really need another coaster to replace Colossus? No- and there are other parks with rides in need of the treatment. Colossus was a historic roller coaster, and having riding it twice in '08, I loved the ride. It may still be dueling today had they not established this plan to let it go.

On the other hand, Cyclone is going to be a interesting RMC. It was in far more need of a treatment than Colossus, and in its condition, it was falling apart. The layout of Cyclone is far superior for a RMC than was Colossus's.

I know that others may disagree, but I'd hate to see steel and wood together next year.

I don't even know how to comprehend posts like this.

Please excuse me if this is somewhat abstract or doesn't coincide with your opinions.

You and I are talking about two totally different things. We started discussing the idea of a dueling coaster and what happened on Dueling Dragons, and now you're onto "What happens if someone throws something off El Toro???" I don't even know where that came from. It's probably best to just table this right here.

Both involve people throwing things off other people. I'm saying if loose article regulation works on a fast coaster near a midway, there might be a way it could work on a dueling coaster. Unfortunately, there is more temptation for a moron to throw things from a dueling coaster.

Both involve people throwing things off other people. I'm saying if loose article regulation works on a fast coaster near a midway, there might be a way it could work on a dueling coaster. Unfortunately, there is more temptation for a moron to throw things from a dueling coaster.

It's probably best to just table this right here.

Will be interesting to see if RMC uses both tracks and in what fashion (racer, dueler, a complete circuit with two lifts). The structure is there for two tracks, why have it go to waste??

Then again there is the cost element, Six Flags meager spending ways raise a huge question mark in my eyes.

Just a few more days 'til we know!!

LOL...To me it Doesn't matter the coaster style I know your still going to have those silly ones who think they are funny and throw, drop, or spit on a coaster just because they can, Such a silly world we live in but makes life interesting. I'm just going to wait and wait and wait like you do during a Holiday Que line at a Disney Park till Six Flags releases their announcement on all their parks in a very long 10 days. I sure do have fun reading all the speculations and guesses.

I think people need to give Colossus and Ride Centerline/RMC the benefit of the doubt. It's the first conversion on mostly linear track which should make an interesting and out-of-the-box opportunities such as sides crossing over. While this may have inversions, I would wager it'll have a reasonable balance of both inversions and airtime. In other words, it's going to be a world class ride.

We know what the ride became, but it is still a classic, one of the legends you always saw in coaster books, websites and TV shows back in the day. Sad to see it go, but hopefully whatever is done to it now will thrust it into top 10 territory like the others!

I still have high hopes for this conversion! The only thing SFMM is missing at this point is airtime, how great would it be if they went for an airtime record? It would be easy to get an airtime records with a super long coaster, right? We'll see in a week and a half I suppose...

I do really hope the conversion is worthwhile. It's been a long time since I've been interested in anything the park has had to offer but RMC seems to do consistently great things so I doubt it'll be disappointing. I have no expectations as to how they'll actually convert the ride, but considering Colossus has been mediocre at best for 20 or so years, almost any upgrade would be worth it.