TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Magic Mountain has been a park that likes to push the envelope. They like to break records and be the first on a lot of their coasters. I wouldn't be surprised if RMC tackled a project like Colossus. A racing style would be a first for them. So we'll see what happens.

I don't see them totally taking out an iconic structure like Colossus, unless they were planning to replace it with something as big.

Yeah, they have really pushed the envelope a lot lately. I mean with latest additions such as the kiddie coaster, Green Lantern and YOL0 they have forced everyone to step up their game

Had a great time yesterday with going to park early then bailing out when temps had beat me up. And returned after the sun had went back down to conclude my long day. I 'm heading over in a few minutes to do a few other things and will grab a view of Season Pass Holder riders but also when it hits over 100 degrees (almost there) i shall bail out again. Easy for me to do when i live within 3 miles of the park.

If I had to make a guess Id say this is going to be them tearing down most of the ride and incorporating just some of the old structure. I think this will be the biggest RMC project to date, I expect to see construction begin tomorrow. As for what's to come, I will seriously be so pissed if they do a 90 degree inversion spiraling first drop that I have a bad feeling is coming. Here's begging for a 200 ft plus standard 85 degree straight drop!!!

What a beauty! Wonder what it will look like next year??

BvLRDbHCcAEmmwA.jpg:large

Despite all the annoYOLOness of the event (only half the ride running; those 'big wood' buttons - so much for appropriate tees n stuff!), Colossus looks DANG good. The beauty is still there - and about to change. I wish I could have been there to ride that classic structure once more. Goodbye to one of the Magic Mountain movie star coasters! Welcome to Iron Colossus, or whatever they call it.

Six Flags, please don't screw this up. Make it the capacity monster that you so desperately need (heck, wasn't Colossus once a capacity monster!?) Ditch that green thing and Scream and dedicate the crews to the new Colossus.

It would be interesting to see how many non season pass holders they have to turn away - and how angry people get. I don't really understand this perk, as it seems that it would only cause bad PR for the park.

I don't know, just seems odd to have an entire? day where the ride is having trains sent out with people on it - but only folks who bought a season pass get to ride (the day before they literally start tearing down/modifying parts of the ride structure.

It would be interesting to see how many non season pass holders they have to turn away - and how angry people get. I don't really understand this perk, as it seems that it would only cause bad PR for the park.

I don't know, just seems odd to have an entire? day where the ride is having trains sent out with people on it - but only folks who bought a season pass get to ride (the day before they literally start tearing down/modifying parts of the ride structure.

^ I agree. The park set up for MONTHS that the final date was 8-16-14. It's been in print. It's been on their Facebokk page. It's been on a sign over the ride. They gave away buttons, etc.

I think it's awful that they pushed that date so much and had a HUGE crowd show up yesterday based on all that with people thinking they were riding on the "last day" only to have the ride run during the normal operating hours the next day but only let a select group of customers ride.

That's just terrible customer service. Although none of this surprises me, ether.

IMO, if they wanted to do something for season pass holders, they should have done it outside of public park hours, just like they are doing the employee final rides.

In my mind, the ride ended yesterday, the final ride was last night, and that's what will go down in history because that's what the park promoted and that's what will be remembered.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

So is Colossus open all day today for passholders? How crowded is the park? Maybe I'll head up later. I agree this seems very weird considering how yesterday was so strongly promoted as the final day.

Yes, it's open all day. It's really light crowds. I've walked on Goliath, Colossus, Scream, Batman, Riddler, and Gold Rusher since I've been here. Currently in line for Superman. One side open and the line starts at the flash pass person.

Park Management is at the pass check at Colossus so that they can control angry guests. But 90% of people that go to Six Flags have passes anyways so.... Yeah.

You people need to accept the fact that colossus would make a terrible RMC coaster as is, and the layout will be changed drastically

LMAO! You write this as though we don't already know!

I definitely agree with that based on what direction RMC has taken their coasters, but I personally would be intrigued by a topper track re-do that brought back the double down and removed the trims along the rest of the way. And returned it to racing.

That being said...Six Flags recent history with RMC proves to me there is no way they will be leaving it in-tact and to expect some crazy inversion/steep drop/intense gimmick(s) to go with the new version of the ride.

^ I agree. The park set up for MONTHS that the final date was 8-16-14. It's been in print. It's been on their Facebokk page. It's been on a sign over the ride. They gave away buttons, etc.

THIS. I bet the majority of the guests who came yesterday were passholders to begin with. Many of them probably weren't even aware there is the bonus day today.

Yeah, they have really pushed the envelope a lot lately. I mean with latest additions such as the kiddie coaster, Green Lantern and YOL0 they have forced everyone to step up their game
Can't argue with the kiddie coaster, but Green Lantern is the first ZacSpin in the US (even if it is neutered) and YOLOCoaster though short still has the tallest loop and the first double sided track and turned out to be a great ride.

Its also maybe a way to get some more people to buy a SP if theyre at the park today and want to ride it.

The local cbs news had a nice Colossus farewell report, most importantly, at the end the reporter mentions that the park told him that fans will be happy with the new addition and it will uses at least part of the old structure.

I think this is the first that some "reliable" news confirms a Colossus refurb

Here is the video

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10481475

Maybe they'll just tear it down and leave a portion by the new ride like they did with Rolling thunder in NJ

I think it's awful that they pushed that date so much and had a HUGE crowd show up yesterday based on all that with people thinking they were riding on the "last day" only to have the ride run during the normal operating hours the next day but only let a select group of customers ride.

That's just terrible customer service. Although none of this surprises me, ether.

IMO, if they wanted to do something for season pass holders, they should have done it outside of public park hours, just like they are doing the employee final rides.

In my mind, the ride ended yesterday, the final ride was last night, and that's what will go down in history because that's what the park promoted and that's what will be remembered.

--Robb

This is what I'm talking about that is pretty obnoxious of the park to do...image.thumb.jpg.868c0137e807ac53bd9a07cfa994dc21.jpg Someone just sent me this pic from the park today. HUGE banners everywhere and a giant "last chance to ride" date over the ride "8-16-14" but people are being selectively allowed into the queue and the ride is actually open today during normal business hours.

No effort to try to hide the fact that they did a giant promotion yesterday that, based on that news story linked a couple of pages back, people flew in from all over to get a final ride on the "last day" and people waited 2-3 hours in line only to have the ride running today during normal business hours with half-empty trains leaving the station.

It's kind of sad because instead of the ride going out with a big fanfare and party, it sort of goes out with a whimper. Which is exactly why I said I look at last night as the last ride and ignore the fact that it's even open today as it's a slap in the face to their local customers.

For the record, I don't have an issue with them doing bonus rides for Passholders for the park to show their appreciation, I have an issue with them doing it during NORMAL OPERATING HOURS while turning away other guests. I think that really sucks.

Edited by robbalvey

I wouldn't have a massive problem with them doing it during park hours if it was before the advertised "last day."

Exactly, or if it was a private event after the park closed or on a day when the park wasn't open to the public, but to purposely run it the day AFTER their huge promotion is a slap in the face to their normal paying guests.

Edited by robbalvey

They are a year-round park

In the most technical sense of the word possible. They stick to weekend-only operation for half the year. Knott's, Disney, Uni, etc all stay open year-round legitimately and yet still manage to get projects and maintenance done in a timely fashion. Imagine Six Flags' construction crews are akin to road construction while most other parks' construction crews are the ones that build a McDonald's overnight.