TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Possibly, but I don't think so. It's nothing RMC can't do. It's pretty clear that RMC can do some crazy elements after seeing Goliath and Medusa, and knowing SFMM, they would want to market a "never-before-done element".

So Colossus is really open today? That's just sad. Not for those petitioners, though. They probably think it will be staying and their petition worked!

^ Sure it's RMC but just because it is doesn't mean you should expect something like Kolmardens Wildfire. Remember when Full Throttle was supposed to be the coaster of the century? That's what I'm saying.... Everyone here is expecting something big but in reality well get something along the lines of Outlaw Run or iRAT. (Not complaining)

Honestly, Colossus wound make a terrible, cliche RMC. Does SFMM really need another coaster to replace Colossus? No- and there are other parks with rides in need of the treatment. Colossus was a historic roller coaster, and having riding it twice in '08, I loved the ride. It may still be dueling today had they not established this plan to let it go.

On the other hand, Cyclone is going to be a interesting RMC. It was in far more need of a treatment than Colossus, and in its condition, it was falling apart. The layout of Cyclone is far superior for a RMC than was Colossus's.

I know that others may disagree, but I'd hate to see steel and wood together next year.

I don't even know how to comprehend posts like this. IMO, they are just so stupid that it makes my head seriously spin. So let me just try to breakdown what you're saying so I can try to put SOME sort of understanding behind it.

1. So you're saying that Colossus, on it's own, was a great ride, and that no matter what RMC does, cannot make it better?

2. You're saying that RMC couldn't possibly make a fun, or a more fun coaster out of Colossus?

3. You're saying that Colossus, despite that most enthusiasts have been complaining about it's decline for literally 25+ years, shouldn't be touched at all?

4. You're saying that Cyclone in New England is a better, more iconic roller coaster that Colossus?

5. You're saying that despite how insanely well received by both the public and enthusiasts, and how highly rated the RMC re-dos of the three Six Flags woodies so far (Texas Giant, Iron Rattler, Medusa) have been, that no more future rides of this type should be built.

Here's what *I* am saying - Rocky Mountain is currently building some of the best roller coasters in the world. There are very, VERY few that have had the track record that company has managed to produce in a short amount of time and a Rocky Mountain re-do of Colossus has a great potential to instantly be the best ride in the park, and I would put money on that bet.

If you *honestly believe* that RMC coming in and making modifications to Colossus is going to be WORSE than just letting Colossus run as is (a terrible shadow of it's former self) then you sir are a perfect example of why some people shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.

/end rant

--Robb Alvey

DISCLAIMER: This post does not mean to inflict on anyones opinions directly, or point any fingers. It's just what has been on my mind. Do not interpret this violently. Everyone here has been and is entitle to their own opinions. Should they be stated is simply a belief of the individual.

There is some confusion here. So, let's straighten this out one bit at a time:

1. Colossus was a good ride. It was by far the most iconic wooden coaster in at least the US, but it was still known worldwide. Colossus is a major part of the parks skyline, and it serves as a reminder to the classic days pre-Six Flags. How many white-woodies have to be torn down this decade?

2. I'm not instating that the ride may have a better future. It's more so that they ride will practically be a mirror of itself, and that, because of the figure-8 design, the only elements that could possibly be placed would turn out very SFish gimmicky. IMO, it's not worth a treatment for these features. For those of you who want airtime, understand that, this would be full of inversions. A cliche move on Six Flag's part.

3. I understand Colossus needs care. Eventually, all wooden coaster will come to a demise, it's just common sense. And someday, the question will come: why build wooden coaster anymore to have more maintenance and less durability? Those times may just be full of RMCs, and is that unique anymore? If they were to tear it down, does SFMM need another YOLOcoaster? There are some so hyped up about SFMM that they forget what they have, and other parks don't. Look around the chain, and towards the bottom you will see parks like SFM, SFA, SFDK, and SFSTL. SFMM has many unique rides, very few clones, and rare rides, especially in the US. Green Lantern - the only Zac Spin in N. America, and while neutered, you still won't find the experience elsewhere here. Riddler's Revenge - A large B&M standup with by far, one of the most unique layouts of any B&M coaster. Tatsu - the only unique flyer under the Six Flags name. Revolution - a classic, extremely iconic Schwarzkopf, that unfortunately, has declined because of Six Flags, but none the less is still kicking. Superman - one of the tallest and fastest rides in the world. Goliath - Only two of these Giovanolas were ever built, and this one is the longer of the two with it's final helix. Need I mention: X2, Full Throttle, or Apocalypse? If one ride is bad, then there are still more than plenty others to ride. Sure competition there is fierce, and the population large, but what about dealing with two RMCs and several world class wooden coasters within under 7 hours by car (SFSFTL), or being in a city with §six million more people than LA (SFMM)? And to them, Six Flags gimmicky is a relocated Boomerang, branded as new and unique, or a small line up of coasters, although they do now have Steel Medusa. SFMM doesn't need more - no RMC's or mega-lites. The only things they need to do is to share their budget down the chain, improve their cleanness, add another real wooden coaster to fill in for Pysclone, and fix Revolution. The YOLOcoaster fantasies are blinding many. Remember, Six Flags did have some bankruptcy problems in '10.

4. Cyclone is not a more iconic coaster than Colossus. It is a much more deserving candidate for the treatment, and much a better existing support layout for a more interesting RMC redo. There are also other coasters that need the treatment more than Colossus: The Boss, Monstre, Roar, The Predator, possibly Georgia Cyclone (if the retracking doesn't hold up). Look at the Boss, as it has never had a good record; it still runs the terrible G trains, and Monstre looks like it could collapse (it might make a better bonfire than an Iron Horse).

5. I love RMC's. All their creations have impressed me greatly, and really make good use of an old ride. I was especially excited for SDC and their Outlaw Run, as well as SFM's Medusa. But what I don't to see is neglect towards other parks. It's bad enough that only Six Flags can currently Iron Horse a coaster under RMC's agreement, but to want to build the next few in larger parks, even if it means using a less likely candidate, is just totally ignorant. Someday, the world would be full of RMC's, and the fad will be over. But until then, they don't need to let some of the rides beat themselves up further and rot. Those rides need the treatment and should be the top candidates. Just think about the streak they are on, and what will happen when other corporations get their hands on this technology. Some rides will be forgotten, and poor choices will be to blame. Say if the interest died out, or RMC began cloning: will some of these rides ever be built, even at a compromise?

And Robb, the real difference in "should" and "could" is an opinion itself; the matter lies in one hand, however firm it may be, but, never in agreement. None of this is intended to cause commotion or flame waring. I have simply wanted to state my opinion, like everyone else has in theis thread. If it was indifferent from others, then would it be an opinion?

Please excuse me if this is somewhat abstract or doesn't coincide with your opinions.

Edited by RollerKid500

Goliath - Only two of these Giovanolas were ever built, and this one is the longer of the two with it's final helix.

Wrong. Goliath is more than 800 feet shorter than Titan. But good on you, I guess.

As for the rest of your post, I don't even want to get into it.

Edit - Had to add this one -

within under 7 hours by car (SFSFTL)

maps.google.com for your consideration.

Edited by KBrylczyk

I do believe that Rocky Mountain will do great things to this ride.

That being said, running one side with a three hour wait on the final day, and giving another day for season pass holders are true disgraces to guests. Factors such as an awful park entrance process and horrible operations demonstrate why I rarely ever return to this park. My last visit, two weeks ago, was plagued with factors as Tatsu running one station with a 45 minute wait, Superman running one side with a full queue, Apoc running one train with a 90 minute wait, consistent stacking on all coasters, and a 90 minute wait to get food at Panda Express.

I actually think that it kind of sucks that they probably will be installing a great ride, due to the fact that I would actually have to return to this park to experience it.

I do believe that Rocky Mountain will do great things to this ride.

That being said, running one side with a three hour wait on the final day, and giving another day for season pass holders are true disgraces to guests. Factors such as an awful park entrance process and horrible operations demonstrate why I rarely ever return to this park. My last visit, two weeks ago, was plagued with factors as Tatsu running one station with a 45 minute wait, Superman running one side with a full queue, Apoc running one train with a 90 minute wait, consistent stacking on all coasters, and a 90 minute wait to get food at Panda Express.

I actually think that it kind of sucks that they probably will be installing a great ride, due to the fact that I would actually have to return to this park to experience it.

You know what does wonders for this problem you are presenting? Moving to Orlando and having your local parks be Islands of Adventure and Epcot!!!

Edited by robbalvey

Everyone here is expecting something big but in reality well get something along the lines of Outlaw Run or iRAT. (Not complaining)
Huh? Are you implying that Outlaw Run or Iron Rattler are anything short of spectacular? I'd be ecstatic if we got anything that great.

^ By "not complaining" I meant that I'm not saying that they aren't great rides. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that at the mountain and I believe that's something along the lines we will get, and not the longest RMC that everyone's expecting ....

You know what does wonders for this problem you are presenting? Moving to Orlando and having your local parks be Islands of Adventure and Epcot!!!

So Jealous.

Then again. I hate humidity and do not want to leave the desert of Las Vegas myself

I'm really hoping that Magic Mountain stays AWAY from any "dueling" aspect. We saw how well that worked for Islands of Adventure. And let's be honest here, it's Magic Mountain we are talking about. If Universal Orlando had problems with people throwing stuff from a train and hurting people on the other train, and that's a park that gets a pretty decent clientele, you can BET that will be an issue at Magic Mountain, too. And the last thing we want is for them to have designed a really awesome feature to only have to take it away a couple of years down the road and neuter the ride.

Of course, that would be a lot like the legacy of the original Colossus, then, wouldn't it?

--Robb "It kills me a little inside every time I ride non-Dueling Dragons." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey