TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On another note, TPR's Twitter is complaining that the ride is only running one side on its final day. Hasn't the other side been left to rot since 2008 or so?

Yeah the right side is not in operable condition. Running it today was not an option, they would have to have started rehabbing it a long time ago and they arent going to do that just to shut it down again.

I would be insanly happy if they just add topper track to both sides and restore it to its original form
Me too, but if that was all they were going to do they wouldn't be promoting the end of the ride like they are.

On another note, TPR's Twitter is complaining that the ride is only running one side on its final day. Hasn't the other side been left to rot since 2008 or so?

Yeah the right side is not in operable condition. Running it today was not an option, they would have to have started rehabbing it a long time ago and they arent going to do that just to shut it down again.

I thought they ran both sides at least as recently as 2012 Fright Fest? Did they not run forwards AND backwards for 2013 Fright Fest?

I thought they ran both sides at least as recently as 2012 Fright Fest? Did they not run forwards AND backwards for 2013 Fright Fest?

I believe 2011 was the last time they ran both for fright fest (I rode it during FF 2012 and only they were only running the left side with B&M trains), and I could be mistaken but to my memory I think 2011 FF is the last time the right side has been run at all. They definitely weren't using it at all during 2013. In the last couple years you could see the condition of the tracks and lift deteriorate as time went on, it looked completely abandoned as though they had made a planned decision to let it go.

The local cbs news had a nice Colossus farewell report, most importantly, at the end the reporter mentions that the park told him that fans will be happy with the new addition and it will uses at least part of the old structure.

I think this is the first that some "reliable" news confirms a Colossus refurb

Here is the video

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10481475

Honestly, Colossus wound make a terrible, cliche RMC. Does SFMM really need another coaster to replace Colossus? No- and there are other parks with rides in need of the treatment. Colossus was a historic roller coaster, and having riding it twice in '08, I loved the ride. It may still be dueling today had they not established this plan to let it go.

On the other hand, Cyclone is going to be a interesting RMC. It was in far more need of a treatment than Colossus, and in its condition, it was falling apart. The layout of Cyclone is far superior for a RMC than was Colossus's.

I know that others may disagree, but I'd hate to see steel and wood together next year.

Edited by RollerKid500

I think that the ride may see a higher height, overbanks to replace the turnarounds, and maybe a return of the double dips.

This project is truly the turning point for RMC. They've done well with the crappy rides, now they have their hugest challenge yet. If people aren't satisfied with the new ride, they will let the park know. I think that this ride will be their best work yet.

Honestly, Colossus wound make a terrible, cliche RMC. Does SFMM really need another coaster to replace Colossus? No- and there are other parks with rides in need of the treatment. Colossus was a historic roller coaster, and having riding it twice in '08, I loved the ride. It may still be dueling today had they not established this plan to let it go.

On the other hand, Cyclone is going to be a interesting RMC. It was in far more need of a treatment than Colossus, and in its condition, it was falling apart. The layout of Cyclone is far superior for a RMC than was Colossus's.

I know that others may disagree, but I'd hate to see steel and wood together next year.

I don't even know how to comprehend posts like this. IMO, they are just so stupid that it makes my head seriously spin. So let me just try to breakdown what you're saying so I can try to put SOME sort of understanding behind it.

1. So you're saying that Colossus, on it's own, was a great ride, and that no matter what RMC does, cannot make it better?

2. You're saying that RMC couldn't possibly make a fun, or a more fun coaster out of Colossus?

3. You're saying that Colossus, despite that most enthusiasts have been complaining about it's decline for literally 25+ years, shouldn't be touched at all?

4. You're saying that Cyclone in New England is a better, more iconic roller coaster that Colossus?

5. You're saying that despite how insanely well received by both the public and enthusiasts, and how highly rated the RMC re-dos of the three Six Flags woodies so far (Texas Giant, Iron Rattler, Medusa) have been, that no more future rides of this type should be built.

Here's what *I* am saying - Rocky Mountain is currently building some of the best roller coasters in the world. There are very, VERY few that have had the track record that company has managed to produce in a short amount of time and a Rocky Mountain re-do of Colossus has a great potential to instantly be the best ride in the park, and I would put money on that bet.

If you *honestly believe* that RMC coming in and making modifications to Colossus is going to be WORSE than just letting Colossus run as is (a terrible shadow of it's former self) then you sir are a perfect example of why some people shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.

/end rant

--Robb Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Yea, what he said!

I think anything RMC does with either of these rides will be great! I would be happy with them bringing Collossus back to its original glory, doing nothing more than reprofiling it back to its original design, or going totally OMFG insane with the ride.

As for Cyclone, I have a feeling it will be more of a medusa redo than anything else, and I'm very happy about that!

This is going to be the true test of RMC's skills. Redoing a ride as famous as this and with a layout like it is will really prove how good RMC is. I know they have already proved themselves as an amazing manufacturer, but I feel like if RMC does an amazing job with this, maybe it will convince Cedar Fair that RMC is the real deal, and maybe they might decide to do a few of their coasters.

^^and I don't think he was trying to say that Cyclone was more iconic.

He was just stating his opinion. The cyclone at SFNE does have a better existing layout for an RMC than Colossus.

I can't deny that Iron Colossus or whatever it's going to be called is going to be an amazing ride and be one of the best rides in the park, but in my opinion, as of right now, think that it would have been better for Magic Mountain to build a wooden RMC from scratch.

Magic Mountain has been a park that likes to push the envelope. They like to break records and be the first on a lot of their coasters. I wouldn't be surprised if RMC tackled a project like Colossus. A racing style would be a first for them. So we'll see what happens.

I don't see them totally taking out an iconic structure like Colossus, unless they were planning to replace it with something as big.