TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Sorry if I've missed this, but is the rumored Sunday passholder event of thing? I'd like to get one last ride in, but I'm not sure I want to battle the long lines there seem to be today (TPR's Twitter is claiming over 2 hours!). Ha ha

I got in line at 2pm and was done walking out with my button at 2:50. line was a bit shorter now then when I got in.

^ Not surprised at all that they're only running one side. That's the Six Flags way!

The same can be said for Gemini at cedarpoint. Very rarely do I see it race anymore.

Gemini actually races about 95 percent of the time. The only time it doesn't is when one side is just broken.

Here are my experiences with racing coasters-

Colossus - 100% non-racing, 0% racing

American Eagle - 80% non-racing, 20% racing (and didn't even get to go on it while the red site was running.)

Gemini - 60-80% racing, 20-40% non-racing.

Gemini frequently runs solo in the morning, and has the issues of blocking off cars and running one train empty, but it typically races on reasonably busy days.

There's no truth to this, right? [attachment=0]wtf.jpg[/attachment] If not, then I am a complete idiot for being confused.

No, first off, Six Flags goes to the manufacturer and asks for work to be done, not the other way around. Secondly, Six Flags would not install a Giga coaster, and if they were, there is a VERY high chance we would have known about it for some time.

Here are the updates we live tweeted from the final public day of Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Thank you to Joey, Steve, and everyone else who contributed photos. If you see your picture here, please email me at robbalvey@themeparkreview.com and I'll send you something nice for helping out! Thank you!

BvLRDbHCcAEmmwA.jpg:large

It's the last day for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain and crowds have started to show up!

BvLOMZqCMAAXSs6.jpg:large

Final day of Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain and there are protesters to save the ride!

BvLRVgEIMAAXGsO.jpg:large

The Colossus protesters handing out stickers (they know they have no hope, right?)

BvLSFZvIUAAkU1w.jpg:large

WOW!!! Look at the crowd at Six Flags Magic Mountain all here for one last ride on Colossus!

BvLUxyDIgAATmWL.jpg:large

OMG! Crowds getting even bigger to say goodbye to the legendary Colossus

BvLVnWoIQAASsNW.jpg:large

The very first Colossus train of the final day has left the building!

BvLXdPBIYAAn9tW.jpg:large

First 5,000 riders at Six Flags Magic Mountain get this Colossus last ride button!

BvLZH2MIYAA-WW_.jpg:large

What do you think the park map will say next year in place of Colossus?

BvLZg0VIMAAVBhO.jpg:large

Only a few minutes after Magic Mountain opened and the Colossus line is well over an hour long!

BvLZ1rNIgAAQ4P_.jpg:large

"Sorry folks! Colossus is closing! The moose out front should have told you!"

BvLhKn8CAAATO2i.jpg:large

The line for Colossus currently 2 1/2 hours!

BvLhgT9IMAInUaz.jpg:large

Colossus only running one side today at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Sad that on the final day it's not even racing.

BvLlnutIgAALtpN.jpg:large

Who is going to Magic Mountain to get their last ride Colossus button today?

BvLpRe-CQAAAQRH.jpg:large

TPR member taking his final Colossus ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain in the front row! That's the way to do it!

BvLqv5SIUAAszXP.jpg:large

Current line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain reported to be 3 1/2 hours. Only one side running.

BvLs4Z2CEAQIDnd.jpg:large

There's still a group outside protesting the closure of Colossus! lol

BvLym0GIEAAqS7X.jpg:large

On one coast we are live tweeting from Colossus on the other we are having Frozen Summer fun! (I think you know where I'd rather be!)

BvL0rtYIEAApdYQ.jpg:large

Look protesters, Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain is gone & it's never coming back! Maybe you all should just let it go!

BvLEqvZCEAAQ8HG.jpg:large

Want to see more "historic" pics of at Six Flags Magic Mountain Colossus? Click: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=499185#p499185

BvL49AWCcAAec_j.jpg:large

While Magic Mountain only running one side of Colossus Walt Disney World is running both princesses. WDW +1 point!

BvL7Qs1IEAEPDP-.jpg:large

DJ at Six Flags Magic Mountain giving out Colossus wood for answering trivia questions!

BvL9_hCIAAEMoFy.jpg:large

Current line for Colossus reported to be 70 minutes now.

BvLE4srCYAANJj7.jpg:large

Here is an original "fact sheet" for Colossus from when the ride opened!

BvMPyXUCEAA6Yhm.jpg:large

Here's a close-up of the sign around the Colossus Moose at Six Flags Magic Mountain!

BvLFJ57CYAABdUb.jpg:large

I'll bet some of you remember these classic Colossus post cards!

BvMJR4_IEAIwuzH.jpg:large

I rode the last day #farewellcolossus ):

BvMc-j9CcAIrmCf.jpg:large

Line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain down to about 35 minutes. Get your last ride! #farewellcolossus

BvLFV-dCEAE-JEu.jpg:large

Flashing back to when TPR got a backstage tour of Colossus a few years ago!

BvMj7Z8CUAA4gcj.jpg:large

All of the Colossus protesters have left! I guess we know who won that battle!

BvMmB1kCUAA52tY.jpg:large

Just reported Magic Mountain still handing out Colossus buttons! Get to the park & get one!

BvLFi2kCMAE-S8E.jpg:large

Here's another "retro" postcard for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Who is taking their final ride today?

BvMxjrgCAAAaK_d.jpg:large

Line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain just reported to be back over two hours again!

BvMzc3ZCEAA5I2o.jpg:large

More TPR fans taking their final ride on Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain today! #farewellcolossus

BvM35NgCEAIKm6C.jpg:large

Both original Magic Mountain wood coasters Colossus & Psyclone will now be gone. Which did you like better?

BvM7A6VCIAEpjpb.jpg:large

Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain looks a LOT different without Goliath, doesn't it? #farewellcolossus

BvNAaQRCYAMpWXE.jpg:large

Colossus aka "Screemy Meemy" in one of the most iconic roller coaster movie scenes of all time!

BvNC3riCMAIWnf9.jpg:large

More TPR fans taking their final ride on Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

BvNDmFyCEAE0uG2.jpg:large

RT if you guys have been enjoying our coverage of #FarewellColossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

BvNKyq6CUAIxNGH.jpg:large

RT if one of your favorite at Six Flags Magic Mountain Colossus memories is watching National Lampoon's Vacation!

BvNOg8lCEAE_PRB.jpg:large

Sun is setting on Colossus one last time at Six Flags Magic Mountain - get your night ride in! It's not too late!

BvNP_RxCUAIQ7vg.jpg:large

The sunset is giving a beautiful orange glow on Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain right now! Maybe it's on fire? (wishful thinking?)

BvNVuSkCMAEt1BC.jpg:large

This Colossus postcard was the last item in the main gift shop!

BvNXRqJCIAAYHJP.jpg:large

Line for a night ride on Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain pretty long again. Estimate 70-90 minutes.

BvNX4DmCcAA4pvP.jpg:large

Line for Colossus starts back by the Magic Moments theater.

BvNc4aHCUAAKLeT.jpg:large

How many of you remember THIS view of Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain? With the double-dip and everything!

BvNe6H1CcAIai6W.jpg:large

Current line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain is two hours. They are handing out "boarding passes" to get on the ride!

BvNhK3fCIAA6tLL.jpg:large

TPR's Joey and a TPR fan taking their final ride on Colossus! Back seat, baby!!!

BvNj4sUCYAE-Juk.jpg:large

You've got about five minutes to get in line for Colossus if you want a ride! Better hurry!!!

BvNj89zCIAA4m0C.jpg:large

Line for Colossus getting even longer now! Everyone trying to get in that final ride!

BvNlx0qCIAAEdyp.jpg:large

Just heard they have extended the time to get in line for Colossus by 15 min! Be in line by 9:15!

BvNnw3TCAAIP2Mo.jpg:large

Line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain has officially closed to the public forever. (Guy on right trying to talk his way in!) lol

BvNorpZCIAIscfa.jpg:large

There it is. Line for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain totally closed now. No more guests allowed in!

BvNvvYYCcAANc6m.jpg:large

Apparently this group will be the final riders of Colossus! Lucky group!!!

BvN2z1-CcAALCGW.jpg:large

Here's a current look inside the Colossus station at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Last train hasn't gone yet!

BvN7KlCCIAEYXwd.jpg:large

The final Colossus train at Six Flags Magic Mountain has left the building.

Video of the final train coming back into the station:

[vine]

[/vine]

BvN9WKECYAE9z-2.jpg:large

There sits the Colossus train in an empty station at Six Flags Magic Mountain waiting for it's final demise.

colossus_final_pic.thumb.jpg.647587d28ad0578a1f59419997d88fdb.jpgAll is very quiet out in the parking lot as you get one final look at the legendary roller coaster.

BvN-741CIAEnnzJ.jpg:large

Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain is now closed to the public forever. Goodnight Colossus. You will be missed by many.

UPDATE! The night after the final "public riders", Six Flags Magic Mountain had a private party for the park employees and allowed them to be the final Colossus riders. IMO, I think that's awesome! The park showing appreciation to the people who have the hardest jobs... putting up with all of us! Here's some pics of the actual FINAL TRAIN. This was the last one that will ever leave the station with riders on it!

TPR fan & Magic Mountain employee Amber made the VERY LAST #Colossus train EVER!!! RT @michaelwschwinn @vanlunatic

"We got on the last train, then they let us go for a bonus round! Goal accomplished! I am so happy! "

Don't forget to check out these awesome retro Colossus videos!

Edited by robbalvey

Dueling Colossus.

Why? Well, this is Six Flags, they've really got two types of ride names lately. Either thinly-veiled racism (Zumanjaro, Kingda Ka) or blatantly obvious (Iron Rattler, New Texas Giant).

Or if neither of those work, they just go with Goliath.

"Greezed Lightnin'"

they still have those old Astroworld signs laying around

From TPR twitter

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408216911.067667.jpg[/attachment]

wow. . the Westboro Baptist Church really have lost their way since Fred Phelps died.

American Eagle - 80% non-racing, 20% racing (and didn't even get to go on it while the red site was running.)

Gemini frequently runs solo in the morning, and has the issues of blocking off cars and running one train empty, but it typically races on reasonably busy days.

We must be visiting the parks on different days

American Eagle was racing all 3 times I was at the park this year, and Gemini was racing maybe 50% of the time(I hit up cp 12 times this summer). I can't say much about colossus racing as I have only been to the park twice in the past 10 years and only remember it racing once.

There have been several times that I have waited in line for gemini the past few summers and had to wait in a 15-20 min line with only one side running.Still not a bad line, but only running one side of a racing coaster is taking away most of the fun and point of riding a racing coaster in the first lace.

I can also say that lightning racer was also racing every time I visit Hershey park.

My guess is Ultimate Colossus. Why?

-Well, today Robb posted this video titled "Ultimate Colossus ..."

• Robb has inside knowledge into the amusement industry.

• There are 3 pov's of Colossus in the video.

• Robb previously worked in the video game industry.

• There are 3 'S's in Colossus

Now what does this mean - Ultimate Colossus and Half Life 3 CONFIRMED

If you look closely at this teaser for the 2015 new attraction that was posted on the Six Flags Magic Mountain Facebook page, under the section for the first names it says, "If your first name starts with an "U", your roller coaster first name is Ultimate, and under the section for the last names it says, "If your last name starts with a "C" your roller coaster last name is Colossus. I think your speculation might be correct and that this is a teaser for the name, "Ultimate Colossus",

for the rumored transformation of Colossus into an RMC hybrid coaster for the 2015 season next year.

image.thumb.jpg.9358832c2fa599491be81792af9c9e5f.jpg

My guess is Ultimate Colossus. Why?

-Well, today Robb posted this video titled "Ultimate Colossus ..."

• Robb has inside knowledge into the amusement industry.

• There are 3 pov's of Colossus in the video.

• Robb previously worked in the video game industry.

• There are 3 'S's in Colossus

Now what does this mean - Ultimate Colossus and Half Life 3 CONFIRMED

Post of the century.

We must be visiting the parks on different days

American Eagle was racing all 3 times I was at the park this year, and Gemini was racing maybe 50% of the time(I hit up cp 12 times this summer). I can't say much about colossus racing as I have only been to the park twice in the past 10 years and only remember it racing once.

There have been several times that I have waited in line for gemini the past few summers and had to wait in a 15-20 min line with only one side running.Still not a bad line, but only running one side of a racing coaster is taking away most of the fun and point of riding a racing coaster in the first lace.

I can also say that lightning racer was also racing every time I visit Hershey park.

On a typical day, Gemini opens with red side and the blue side opens at 11:30. On cold or windy days, Gemini is at a high risk to valley, so if you see one loaded train and one empty train, the empty train will have sandbags in it and will continue to cycle without riders until there are enough people in line to consistently fill both trains. This is pretty rare but happens usually in May and during Halloweekends. Also, Gemini only runs one side toward the end of August and occasionally beginning of May as staffing levels are lower due to many of the employees going to school. CP doesn't have the advantage of being in a big city, so nearly all seasonal employees come from far distances and can't always work while going to school.

Went to Magic Mountain to get that last ride for the heck of it, and hopefully get a pin. Waited roughly 50 minutes. Also got lucky to get the front row. I honestly hadn't ridden forward in a while. Honestly can't remember the last time I rode Colossus forward. I did ride reverse earlier this year, and it was the worst ride I've ever had. Today, in the red train, front row, was the complete opposite. I was totally amazed at how smooth it was, at least in the front. I think I could have done the 36 hour! lol

Anyway, excited to see what's next.