TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is Apocalypse/Terminator really that bad now? I think I last rode it last year but I didn't think it was anywhere close to as bad as my ride on Medusa in Mexico. I don't think any ride I've ever been on comes close to that, actually. I found Apocalypse fairly tolerable, but man, did that ride age poorly.

I say rip that B*&^% OUT! Went on it opening day and never ever ever got on it again after that! My jewels were killing me when I got off! Big man parts and GL do not mix! I would love to see them put in a coaster like Smiler, now that would be AWESOME!!!!!

My first ride on Apocalypse was only last week so I can't compare it to before that, but I didn't think it was that rough. Out of control and throws you around, yes. Bumpy, yes. But I like a woodie that's bumpy and throws me around like that, plus the seats are very well padded. I personally loved it and rode it 8 times in the day and a half I was there.

How many other GCI woodies, or even woodies in general have you been on?

Never been on any other GCI woodies, but have been on 20 or so others.

My first ride on Apocalypse was only last week so I can't compare it to before that, but I didn't think it was that rough. Out of control and throws you around, yes. Bumpy, yes. But I like a woodie that's bumpy and throws me around like that, plus the seats are very well padded. I personally loved it and rode it 8 times in the day and a half I was there.

How many other GCI woodies, or even woodies in general have you been on?

Never been on any other GCI woodies, but have been on 20 or so others.

My comments are based on ONE ride I took on it sometime in the evening during West Coast Bash last year. It had gotten pretty rough "for a GCI", keeping in mind I've been on every one they've built. I'd say it wasn't as rough as Gwazi or Wildcat, but on par with both Roar's.

Still better than GhostRider and a huge handfuls of other rough woodies out there, but for a GCI that was only 4 years old at the time, it was not in good shape.

There was at one point where I'd ridden Terminator 20+ times in a row, but last year, I took one ride on it and that was enough.

Take that for what it's worth.

My comments are based on ONE ride I took on it sometime in the evening during West Coast Bash last year. It had gotten pretty rough "for a GCI", keeping in mind I've been on every one they've built. I'd say it wasn't as rough as Gwazi or Wildcat, but on par with both Roar's.

Still better than GhostRider and a huge handfuls of other rough woodies out there, but for a GCI that was only 4 years old at the time, it was not in good shape.

There was at one point where I'd ridden Terminator 20+ times in a row, but last year, I took one ride on it and that was enough.

Take that for what it's worth.

Makes sense. Thanks for the additional thoughts. My experience on it was based on never having ridden Terminator (or any other GCI besides Apocalypse a few weeks ago), so we're kind of on opposite ends of that.

I've also ridden some of the rougher ones (Villain being the worst of my experiences), so compared to those I didn't think Apocalypse was too bad.

^^^ I do agree with you Robb, "Pocky" has gotten rough. I can still ride it a lot. If you go there early in the morning you can get many consecutive rides. I love the back seat. Someone else mentioned this, but it's the padding that makes it comfortable. It has gone down hill since the "Termie" days with the shows you had to watch. TAKE THE TUNNEL!

I did notice that Apocalypse has a preshow (read: video screens) in its queue line. It is a post-apocalyptic "settlement" leader holding a gun rallying the settlement to defend itself (this is all filmed in front of the coaster.) I forgot what comes next, but I believe it is pretty much the guy shooting his gun at people invading the settlement and beating them up. This repeats itself. Is my memory accurate?

EDIT - I see other preshow videos online. They only show the "gunfight scene" after a much longer intro. I know that the preshow changed when the ride became Apocalypse, but has the it been shortened since?

Thinking of going to WCB but its kind of pricy considering I already have a season pass. How long are the lines for the ERT when I do juicy fruit/ season pass type ERT the lines are usually a 1/2 hr which means 1 or 2 extra rides. If its exclusive to TPR where the lines are 5 min or so I mite be tempted to go.

Thinking of going to WCB but its kind of pricy considering I already have a season pass. How long are the lines for the ERT when I do juicy fruit/ season pass type ERT the lines are usually a 1/2 hr which means 1 or 2 extra rides. If its exclusive to TPR where the lines are 5 min or so I mite be tempted to go.

The latter. The ERT is TPR exclusive and they purposely limit the number of participants precisely so you don't encounter waits like that, cause it kinda defeats the purpose of ERT. It's not really pricey considering what they give you, especially the KBF one with all the extras that park is throwing in.

Lines during our ERT sessions are usually a 1-2 train wait.

Yeah, WCB ERT is some of the best you'll find. Many of the coasters will be open and there aren't tons of people, so the crowd gets spread around pretty well. Some rides will be busier than others of course (X2, YOLOcoaster), but you should have no problem getting plenty of rides in.

Regarding Apocalypse, wasn't there some kind of incident that it had closed for a while last summer and required some track work? I rode it shortly before that happened and thought it was fine, but during my WCB rides I thought it'd gotten significantly rougher (and it has remained so). It's far from being unrideably rough (it's still one of my favorite coasters in the park; the first half of the ride is great), but it's nowhere near as butter smooth as GCI's tend to be.

Regarding Apocalypse, wasn't there some kind of incident that it had closed for a while last summer and required some track work? I rode it shortly before that happened and thought it was fine, but during my WCB rides I thought it'd gotten significantly rougher (and it has remained so). It's far from being unrideably rough (it's still one of my favorite coasters in the park; the first half of the ride is great), but it's nowhere near as butter smooth as GCI's tend to be.

I felt Apocalypse to be pretty rough before it closed for the Summer for track work, but I do have to agree that it has gotten rougher than before at WCB and it's still pretty rough as of my last ride on August 1st.

Multiple rollbacks on YOLO Coaster today. Two extended closures. Too bad we missed the last rollback by a couple trains.

did the rollbacks occur in the first launch? on my second ride it never stopped in the tunnel and didn't make it up the loop and rolled back. sat in the tunnel for about 10-15 minutes then resumed the launch back and forward. then got an immediate re-ride.