TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm planning on going out to Southern CA in either late January or early Feb, I know it's only weekend operations then, but I have a few questions concerning rides. I know they rehab a lot, but do they shut anything entirely down, or is it bare minium one train operations on the stuff they rehab?? Also, do they rehab the same rides at the same time every year? I haven't been since 07 so I definitely want to get Green Lantern, Apolocyase and Full Throttle credits, also I missed on Tastu and Riddlers Revenge last time I was there, so I would like to get those as well, would it be doable?? Also, I know Southern California pretty much has the best weather, but am I right that the rainy season is usually January or February?

Usually they take out one train at a time. It all depends. If something like the infamous chain lift on x2 breaks that would require the whole ride down. They usually rotate what they take down so if anything one ride mite be closed.

I think your list is definently doable. They do close the watersides that time of the year.

If you are only coming once you may want to budget a fast pass. I'd go regular since the lines aren't going to be that long then you can have rerides ((You make a reservation and then go in the regular line. When you are done in the regular line go in the fast pass line.

Usually they take out one train at a time. It all depends. If something like the infamous chain lift on x2 breaks that would require the whole ride down. They usually rotate what they take down so if anything one ride mite be closed.

I think your list is definently doable. They do close the watersides that time of the year.

If you are only coming once you may want to budget a fast pass. I'd go regular since the lines aren't going to be that long then you can have rerides ((You make a reservation and then go in the regular line. When you are done in the regular line go in the fast pass line.

I'm definitely planning on a flash pass, although I figured I might spring for the Platinum since Full Throttle is only available on it, I know X2 is also, but I rode the original X, and definitely wasn't a fan, Is there really a difference between X and X2??

I'm planning on going out to Southern CA in either late January or early Feb, I know it's only weekend operations then, but I have a few questions concerning rides. I know they rehab a lot, but do they shut anything entirely down, or is it bare minium one train operations on the stuff they rehab?? Also, do they rehab the same rides at the same time every year? I haven't been since 07 so I definitely want to get Green Lantern, Apolocyase and YOLOcoaster credits, also I missed on Tastu and Riddlers Revenge last time I was there, so I would like to get those as well, would it be doable?? Also, I know Southern California pretty much has the best weather, but am I right that the rainy season is usually January or February?

I'm definitely planning on a flash pass, although I figured I might spring for the Platinum since YOLOcoaster is only available on it, I know X2 is also, but I rode the original X, and definitely wasn't a fan, Is there really a difference between X and X2??

They do tend to rehab rides more in the offseason. It shouldn't result in anything being closed since rehab just means they go down to one train operation. A possible exception might be Ninja since it only currently has one operable train. I dont know if its the same every year but I believe it was Scream and Apocalypse during that time this year. I remember YOLO got rehabbed in April when I was there.

Last year there pretty much wasnt a rainy season..its been a drought in California. I wouldn't worry too much about the rain, it doesnt rain a lot and when it does its still not usually cold at least during the day, and SFMM doesnt have a real restrictive rain policy like some parks. X2 and Superman close pretty fast, and I'm guessing YOLO might but havent seen enough rain since it opened to really know.

Unless you want to take advantage of double rides, I wouldnt recommend the platinum pass. You can easily do YOLO first thing in the morning and get that out of the way. Realistically the wait times aren't any shorter than the gold pass. Also last time I was there X2 reservations only required Gold, not platinum. If you aren't going on a Saturday you may not need a flash pass at all. I always tell people just budget the money for it and then when you get there decide whether you will need one based on the crowds you see in the morning and then buy it if you do.

I actually liked the original X more than X2. The audio and fire don't really do anything for me and I found the original seats much more comfortable. Always still worth riding to me at least once for the first drop if for nothing else.

I'm planning on going out to Southern CA in either late January or early Feb, I know it's only weekend operations then, but I have a few questions concerning rides. I know they rehab a lot, but do they shut anything entirely down, or is it bare minium one train operations on the stuff they rehab?? Also, do they rehab the same rides at the same time every year? I haven't been since 07 so I definitely want to get Green Lantern, Apolocyase and YOLOcoaster credits, also I missed on Tastu and Riddlers Revenge last time I was there, so I would like to get those as well, would it be doable?? Also, I know Southern California pretty much has the best weather, but am I right that the rainy season is usually January or February?

I'm definitely planning on a flash pass, although I figured I might spring for the Platinum since YOLOcoaster is only available on it, I know X2 is also, but I rode the original X, and definitely wasn't a fan, Is there really a difference between X and X2??

They do tend to rehab rides more in the offseason. It shouldn't result in anything being closed since rehab just means they go down to one train operation. A possible exception might be Ninja since it only currently has one operable train. I dont know if its the same every year but I believe it was Scream and Apocalypse during that time this year. I remember YOLO got rehabbed in April when I was there.

Last year there pretty much wasnt a rainy season..its been a drought in California. I wouldn't worry too much about the rain, it doesnt rain a lot and when it does its still not usually cold at least during the day, and SFMM doesnt have a real restrictive rain policy like some parks. X2 and Superman close pretty fast, and I'm guessing YOLO might but havent seen enough rain since it opened to really know.

Unless you want to take advantage of double rides, I wouldnt recommend the platinum pass. You can easily do YOLO first thing in the morning and get that out of the way. Realistically the wait times aren't any shorter than the gold pass. Also last time I was there X2 reservations only required Gold, not platinum. If you aren't going on a Saturday you may not need a flash pass at all. I always tell people just budget the money for it and then when you get there decide whether you will need one based on the crowds you see in the morning and then buy it if you do.

I actually liked the original X more than X2. The audio and fire don't really do anything for me and I found the original seats much more comfortable. Always still worth riding to me at least once for the first drop if for nothing else.

Thanks for all the advice .. I have a question about Apocalypse, is it rough for a CGI? The only ones I've been on are American Thunder & Thunderhead, both of which I loved.

Thanks for all the advice .. I have a question about Apocalypse, is it rough for a CGI? The only ones I've been on are American Thunder & Thunderhead, both of which I loved.

It's still pretty enjoyable, but it has gotten pretty rough in the last few years. You'll probably find it rougher than most GCIs. The GCI near me at SFDK (Roar) had gotten really rough, but the park did some serious retracking recently and have managed to actually get it back pretty close to how it was when it was young. I'd love to see SFMM do the same thing since Apocalypse used to be a pretty great ride back when it was Terminator, but I won't hold my breath.

I have a question about Apocalypse, is it rough for a CGI? The only ones I've been on are American Thunder & Thunderhead, both of which I loved.

I rode it once last year during West Coast Bash and I couldn't believe how much they let this ride go. It's probably the roughest GCI next to Wildcat and Gwazi, and that's just insane for it only being built in 2009. The way it's going now it's headed to be "Son of Psyclone" in a matter of a few years.

I have a question about Apocalypse, is it rough for a CGI? The only ones I've been on are American Thunder & Thunderhead, both of which I loved.

I rode it once last year during West Coast Bash and I couldn't believe how much they let this ride go. It's probably the roughest GCI next to Wildcat and Gwazi, and that's just insane for it only being built in 2009. The way it's going now it's headed to be "Son of Psyclone" in a matter of a few years.

That's just sad. Whatever they do with Collosus, I hope they take better care if it then they have Apocalypse.

Wow!! I figured it might be a tad rough, I had no idea it was this bad, it looks like an amazing ride.

My first ride on Apocalypse was only last week so I can't compare it to before that, but I didn't think it was that rough. Out of control and throws you around, yes. Bumpy, yes. But I like a woodie that's bumpy and throws me around like that, plus the seats are very well padded. I personally loved it and rode it 8 times in the day and a half I was there.

My first ride on Apocalypse was only last week so I can't compare it to before that, but I didn't think it was that rough. Out of control and throws you around, yes. Bumpy, yes. But I like a woodie that's bumpy and throws me around like that, plus the seats are very well padded. I personally loved it and rode it 8 times in the day and a half I was there.

How many other GCI woodies, or even woodies in general have you been on?

I've been on many woodies and Apocalypse isn't bumpy at all. Any roughness adds to the experience. It is a wooden coaster afterall. Makes it feel more out of control. Also, the fact that the ride has cushions all around you that are 6

inches thick and feel better than my sofa... I could ride that thing all day. It's not in the least bit uncomfortable.

Yet I think Viper is smooth as glass and love Ghostrider (not as much as Apocalypse though).

I can only handle 3-4 consecutive rides on Revolution though. Ahhh.

If you think Ghost Rider isnt rough then you pretty much lose your right to comment on what is or isnt rough. That ride is screaming for topper track...such a great layout. Loop-de-loop, if this is an RMC makeover on Colossus hopefully that will negate the requirement for the type of care that wooden coasters normally require. Just the kind of thing SFMM needs.

Very good sized crowd at SFMM today (Fri) guess word is out that the white coaster is really closing and people seem to be coming to pay their respect with one final ride on Colossus. Saw the show Masters of Illusions on TV tonight and the magician is Michael Truco and he preforms 3 shows daily in the theater at SFMM near Colossus. I see one final ride for me in the coming week and then its adios.

I guess in a few years if Six Flags still has a good working relationship with RMC, they can just put topper track on Apocalypse. I think it's still a great ride, no where near as rough as Ghostrider

Agreed. I find it personally smoother in the front and I always ride it when I go , but my body can't handle Ghostrider any more...