TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey, I might be heading to California sometime in the future and I was wondering if this park is really worth hitting while in California. I've heard the park is awful, so is it really worth the trip? Thanks for the help.
Basically it's a coaster park. That should tell you a lot right there.

If roller coasters in specific are your thing, then it's a must do. There are more coasters here than anywhere else, but that's about all there is. If you're looking for more family options or a theme park with more to do than just coasters, then try Knott's Berry Farm.

Thanks for all the support, I think I needed it toward the end. They had us change seats every hour, so sometimes good, and sometimes brutal. Not to mention the 30 laps on Apocalypse...OMG!

I have no idea how you did 30 laps on Apocalypse, but it separates the men from the pussies! Congrats on making it through the whole thing!

30 laps on Apocalypse to me sounds more daunting than 300 on Colossus...not that I could do either!

I totally agree with this. I love Apocalypse, one per visit. It is crazy fast, and crazy fun, but a bit rough on this 49 year old body.

I don't think I could do either, but any thought I might have had about participating in the Colossus marathon was wiped out when I read that you would have to do three hours on Apocalypse.

Thanks for all the support, I think I needed it toward the end. They had us change seats every hour, so sometimes good, and sometimes brutal. Not to mention the 30 laps on Apocalypse...OMG!

Congratulations, Caesar! I always thought that Apocalypse was fairly smooth. But the last few visits it's been torture, but still fun. Empty train with my friend and I in the back, was pretty debilitating though. LOL no way I'd even be able to do 30. long ago I did Viper 56 times in 4 hours. one bathroom break. i'm not sure I can do 3 in a row now. ha!

Congratulations Caesar, riding a woodie over 300 times would be my dream. I wish they did it for SFNE's Cyclone, would've done that in a heartbeat.

Very proud of your efforts. We have a lot of respect for you now (not that you didn't have any before) on TPR!! Once in a lifetime experiences fly by. Hope you enjoyed one of the most spectacular ones!

I am seriously impressed that you lasted the whole time. Balder is probably the only woodie I'd ever be willing to re-ride for an extended period of time. Well done mate!

First of all hats off to you Cesar what an awesome achievement. I hope they invite you to be the first rider on whatever they replace Colossus with. What do you guys see Six Flags doing after the Colossus project (your 5 year realistic plan)? I know there is clearing in the Deja Vu area. I can see a water ride go there and what I'd love to see after is them remove Green Lantern (send it to sfa) and tidal wave and add a euro fighter in that spot and maybe keep the Green Lantern theme. After that I think it'd be time to say bye to Viper and maybe add a giga or a lengthy mega light. During this time in 2016 for the 40th anniversary of Revolution I'd get new trains.

First of all hats off to you Cesar what an awesome achievement. I hope they invite you to be the first rider on whatever they replace Colossus with. What do you guys see Six Flags doing after the Colossus project (your 5 year realistic plan)? I know there is clearing in the Deja Vu area. I can see a water ride go there and what I'd love to see after is them remove Green Lantern (send it to sfa) and tidal wave and add a euro fighter in that spot and maybe keep the Green Lantern theme. After that I think it'd be time to say bye to Viper and maybe add a giga or a lengthy mega light. During this time in 2016 for the 40th anniversary of Revolution I'd get new trains.

SFA - Six Flags' junkyard. Hopefully Six Flags will have the sense to de-neuter GL if it goes to SFA.

Giga or Mega-Lite? I really wish, but SFMM doesn't realize that you can (gasp!) market something that isn't tall, weird, and loopy. Gigas do have the tall feature, but SF has recently been more interested in building short, intense rides on the cheap. Sometimes these turn out good and not that short (NTAG), sometimes they turn out a waste of potential (YOLOCoaster, and possibly iRat. Maybe SFDK Superman, but that WAS a small area and they made pretty good work out of it.) Those are good rides (I've been on YOLO and Superman, both are good), but it's sad to see YOLO be so short.

Colossus is set to close for good Aug. 16, according to Six Flags Magic Mountain officials, and the group Save Colossus is attempting to stop that from happening.

They’ve started a petition and filed a nomination with the California Office of Historic Preservation to have Colossus added to the list of national landmarks, according to the group’s website.

“Proposed nominations are reviewed by your state’s historic preservation office and the state’s National Register Review Board, according to the Office of Historic Preservation’s website. “The length of the state process varies but will take a minimum of 90 days.’

Jay Correia, the supervisor for the registration unit at the Office of Historic Preservation, is also a state historian.

He was “disappointed” he’s never been able to ride Colossus, he said, but added the idea that Colossus could be saved through a historical ordinance is “unrealistic.”

“The group meets quarterly, and the next meeting is to be held on November 7, I believe they will have started demolition by then,” said Correia. He also added that, “Anyone can nominate a property to be listed, but Colossus is on private property, and a national register doesn’t protect anything.”

Colossus is more than 4,000 feet long and takes up more than 10 acres of land, according to the Six Flags Magic Mountain website. The coaster was built in June of 1978.

According to the Save Colossus website, “Colossus means more to millions of people throughout the globe than any other coaster ever will. Colossus set records for height, speed and total lumber when it was opened; it has been in countless movies, television shows and commercials; it is an icon for Magic Mountain, Santa Clarita, southern California; it is a living memorial to John Candy and the humor he brought to all of us.”

The coaster has been featured in films including "The A-Team", "Wonder Woman" and "National Lampoon's Vacatio

http://hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/arts-and-entertainment/magic-mountain/california-history-official-says-save-colossus-petition-not-realistic-080713

:-/

Congrats on the completion of the 36 hour marathon! I saw the train dwindle down to only 6 riders; I'm honestly surprised anyone lasted more than 1 ride.

No there isn't. That area is the newest addition to the Magic Mountain backstage dumping ground. Don't get your hopes up for something being put there for the time being.

I'd also be shocked if they tore out Green Lantern and gave it to another park. It doesn't take up any space and adds to their valuable "coaster count". It would also never be torn out only to be replaced by a ride of the same name because then there goes any realistic chance of marketing. Personally though, wouldn't be sad to see it go.

When is Six Flags announcing all of their 2015 plans?

I don't see GL going anywhere either. It's a small footprint, its relatively new, and it is easily the MANLIEST coaster in the park. As I've said before, it's clearly not very popular here but I really love the thing. Reminds me of the elusive zippers at carnivals, and, maybe one day they can un-neuter it. Hey one can dream, right?

I don't see GL going anywhere either. It's a small footprint, its relatively new, and it is easily the MANLIEST coaster in the park. As I've said before, it's clearly not very popular here but I really love the thing. Reminds me of the elusive zippers at carnivals, and, maybe one day they can un-neuter it. Hey one can dream, right?

I think "manliest" is a poor adjective for GL. All it does is tear up your manly parts. One of the worst coaster concepts in the last 20 years. I still think of it as a flat over a coaster. I know most would disagree but I don't care. I could care less if i ever rode it again.

One of the worst coaster concepts in the last 20 years.

That's quite the blanket statement, considering how highly regarded Insane is among enthusiasts. I get that not everybody likes it, but the whole TAER IT DOWN sentiment boggles me. I also don't understand how its any less kind on your manly bits than X2 or Riddler. Have never had a problem down there on GL.

^Agreed. Stand-up coasters hurt me more down there than Green Lantern. All that I find painful after riding GL is the restraint crushing my thighs, but it's still tolerable.

I actually like GL quite a bit. It's one of the few rides that still terrifies me a little every time I ride.

It's polarizing, thats part of the reason I love it - the people who don't love it absolutely hate it. Also like thrillseeker said, I've had enough roller coaster rides now and know enough about how they are built and maintained that they're not really thrilling so much as just fun to me now, but Green Lantern still freaks me out a bit when I'm going up that lift and down the first drop, especially if I'm on the back side. It's just unpredictable - sometimes you get a midly thrilling albeit jarring ride, and sometimes you flip multiple times and get your face ripped off. I would love to do an ERT or something where they intentionally unbalanced the cars, though I'm not sure if you could find enough people willing to do it at SFMM.

I like GL as well, and it is a scary wtf ride. Those drops are truly insane, and I can only imagine how scary the non neutered versions are, holy moly. Wussie A$$ America could never deal with it.

No, America could deal with it. It's a few morons (like the $67m pants guy) that make America's companies paranoid about lawsuits in areas where nobody would sue them. Even on rides that were, oh, I don't know, DESIGNEDto be intense by a reputable company.

Although, one could point to SFGAm being sued when a guy got stuck on S:UF, the court system should, oh, I don't know, prove he has a reasonable claim before dragging the park into this... unless he has a REALLY bad medical condition, being stuck on a lift or brake run for less than 30 minutes while hanging in your restraint, while uncomfortable, should NOT result in nervous system injuries, bruises, cuts, and permanent disabilty that is worth $50,000. The guy wasn't "hanging upside down" - if the ride experienced a failure severe enough to strand riders inverted, it would have been well-known by now. If you want to see the idiocy that is that lawsuit, look here-

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/07/28/69871.htm

For anybody who has ridden it, does Insane whip you back and forth like GL or does it rock you into the "back and forth" acceleration?