TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm still failing to understand the infatuation with revolution? Even if it were to be restored, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wouldn't be anywhere close to a top-10 ride. Improved? Sure. A lot more fun than it is now? Most definitely. I'm guessing I would still get off the restored Revolution and say to myself, "I'd rather have a Megalite."

I'm still failing to understand the infatuation with revolution? Even if it were to be restored, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wouldn't be anywhere close to a top-10 ride. Improved? Sure. A lot more fun than it is now? Most definitely. I'm guessing I would still get off the restored Revolution and say to myself, "I'd rather have a Megalite."

Or Maverick style coaster...

If it were up to me, I would give Revolution a Steel Phantom/Phantoms Revenge make over. Remove everything except the drop into the loop, the loop, and station. Then have Intamin or Premier come in and build a entire new coaster around whats left of Revolution.

If you had a speed hill

We have so many coasters that "do a bunch of things quickly" (including speed hills). Revolution is an old design from a different time. Different things are cool.

Scenario - Magic Mountain would be reprofiling Revolution and taking its trims off for its 40th anniversary. Modifications include the speed hill, reprofiling the slower parts of the ride, restoring the operations involving 3 or more trains. Here's how it could be marketed-

I may (or may not) be in the minority on this, but you will never ever convince me that changing Revolutions track profile (other than a minor tweak to the loop entrance/exit) is a good idea. What is there is pure genius; it's a work of art. I could nearly say the same thing for Mind Bender and Whizzer... just my 2 cents though. Maybe they can redo some of the old Arrows (envision a Phantoms Revenge-ish remake of Viper! Now that sounds good!)

I'd love to see what Morgan could do with Viper, especially after Lightning Run.

Chance has been very clear that Lightning Run was their's and an entry point/demonstrator that they can built big coasters.

As for a Megalite at SFMM....I have no idea how they market that successfully. "Come ride this crazy coaster without loops! OK, Goliath doesn't have them either and this is half as tall, but still, please come ride it!"

Chance has been very clear that Lightning Run was their's and an entry point/demonstrator that they can built big coasters.

As for a Megalite at SFMM....I have no idea how they market that successfully. "Come ride this crazy coaster without loops! OK, Goliath doesn't have them either and this is half as tall, but still, please come ride it!"

They can market it a world-class roller coaster that will keep you out of your seat.

WTF? Worst comment I have read in a while.

Have you been on a megalite or even a coaster like Maverick? I don't think you have. Neither is tall and neither has loops, but they are better than every ride at SFMM.

Do you think they should continue to build gimmicky one-trick rides like YOLO or Green Lantern? If so you need to get out a bit more. MM has been nothing but a let down since they built Tatsu.

I doubt they would have trouble marketing a good roller coaster such as a Megalite.

^He means that Six Flags Magic Mountain won't get one because they can't market it as a gimmicky, YOLO-baiting coaster. The ride kicks ass but the general public isn't going to be super impressed with the stats on paper and in a commercial.

Have you been on a megalite or even a coaster like Maverick? I don't think you have. Neither is tall and neither has loops, but they are better than every ride at SFMM.

It doesn't matter how good I think a megalite or Maverick (which, ostensibly, YOLO is their equivalent of) are or could be at Magic Mountain in my argument. And Cedar Fair had a hellacious time trying to market Maverick because it lacked those grabbing "firsts" and records.

I doubt they would have trouble marketing a good roller coaster such as a Megalite.

They have trouble marketing anything. Megalites are great ideas for smaller parks IMO (or a place without a larger equivalent ride, like Knotts), but for a place like Magic Mountain, it doesn't fit. They have a huge non-looping steel coaster.

Edited by DirkFunk

Do you think they should continue to build gimmicky one-trick rides like YOLO or Green Lantern? If so you need to get out a bit more. MM has been nothing but a let down since they built Tatsu.

I'm sure they'd have no trouble marketing a coaster like Maverick to enthusiasts, but the general public isn't going to go crazy over it.

I think it just has something to do with how much worse the OTSRs make it than it would be otherwise. If the ride is a 5 normally, it's a 1 with the OTSRs. Personally I've never had a chance to ride it without them and would really love to see how it is.

Also although its not the most exciting or intense ride, without the OTSRs it might actually be a relaxing ride in a cool part of the park. Obviously right now it isn't.

I think it just has something to do with how much worse the OTSRs make it than it would be otherwise. If the ride is a 5 normally, it's a 1 with the OTSRs. Personally I've never had a chance to ride it without them and would really love to see how it is.

Also although its not the most exciting or intense ride, without the OTSRs it might actually be a relaxing ride in a cool part of the park. Obviously right now it isn't.

Yeah. SFMM will have to replace the trains eventually. Maybe we should start a "compromise petition" - tell them "when you must overhaul the trains and restraints, get lap bar trains."

It's a great ride with out the shoulder bars. It's not a super fast intense thrill ride; it's a middle of the road family thrill ride. A tiny step above Whizzer at Great America.

As for the Mega-Lite proposal, let me give my marketing spin on that, just like my Revolution concept.

Scenario - Six Flags Magic Mountain installs a Mega-Lite themed to Bizarro.

"Superman may tower over Six Flags Magic Mountain, but his nemesis is quite the force to be reckoned with! Despite it's small appearance, Bizarro will be one of the most intense coasters at the park, twisting and turning you from right to left, all while you fly up and down steep hills designed for maximum "airtime." You and 15 other riders will be hauled up the first hill, arriving at the peak in just seconds. At over 50 miles per hour, you will plummet into a banked turn just feet from the ground before rising up and twisting the other way in the blink of an eye. Next comes a large hill, throwing you up and into your lap bar. Before you can comprehend what you just went through, Bizarro will will fling you 180 degrees into a triple s-turn, flinging you side to side as you undulate up and down. Finally, you will be faced with a set of low, fast hills, each one full of stomach-dropping negative G-force. As you round the final turn into the station, you will be in a state of amazement - Superman's new rival may not be a record-breaking giant, but he sure is powerful!"

Just for the record Maverick does have inversions, so it's a Megalite with inversions.

It has some of the concepts of a Mega-Lite, but you also have the 95-degree drop, 2 LSM launches, and a completely different, longer layout. It has many similarities, but it is extremely different as well.

It's a great ride with out the shoulder bars. It's not a super fast intense thrill ride; it's a middle of the road family thrill ride. A tiny step above Whizzer at Great America.

I loved the ride's layout and despite the shoulder bars, I still was able to enjoy it (though I did go in bracing myself for each turn).

As for the Mega-Lite proposal, let me give my marketing spin on that, just like my Revolution concept.

"Superman may tower over Six Flags Magic Mountain, but his nemesis is quite the force to be reckoned with! Despite it's small appearance, Bizarro will be one of the most intense coasters at the park, twisting and turning you from right to left, all while you fly up and down steep hills designed for maximum "airtime." You and 15 other riders will be hauled up the first hill, arriving at the peak in just seconds. At over 50 miles per hour, you will plummet into a banked turn just feet from the ground before rising up and twisting the other way in the blink of an eye. Next comes a large hill, throwing you up and into your lap bar. Before you can comprehend what you just went through, Bizarro will will fling you 180 degrees into a triple s-turn, flinging you side to side as you undulate up and down. Finally, you will be faced with a set of low, fast hills, each one full of stomach-dropping negative G-force. As you round the final turn into the station, you will be in a state of amazement - Superman's new rival may not be a record-breaking giant, but he sure is powerful!"

I think the GP wouldn't bite that. Sure, after they had ridden it it would be a different story but I can imagine the complaints about it being small when announced.

-Restraints - Lap bars only, maybe seatbelts or newer, tighter bars if California insists.

Seatbelts maybe, but the bars work fine on Shock Wave, Mind Bender, sooperdooperLooper, Montezooma's and Scorpion.

Yeah unfortunately it's Six Flags policy now that any inverting coaster without OTSRs must have a seat belt, thats why they were added to YOLO, and apparently they consider the MCBR tilt on Goliath close enough to an inversion. I'd GLADLY trade those awful OTSRs for any seat belts they want to put in.

DDD @ SFOG doesn't have seat belts to my knowledge.

That is correct. Mindbender at SFOG lacks seat belts as well.

I think the GP wouldn't bite that. Sure, after they had ridden it it would be a different story but I can imagine the complaints about it being small when announced.

Apocalypse is probably a successful ride. Yes, I know it is wooden, but that just gives the GP another think to complain about. The dumbest GP will think that woodies are all old. I can see it now: "That ride was built in the 1920s and killed 20 people in 2008, so they renamed it. Then it killed another 20 people, so they had to rename it again."

So why did I mention this? Because Apocalypse is a small, "normal" wooden coaster to the GP besides its special effects (which don't always run.) Even SFMM didn't use huge gimmicks on it besides theming, an element which can be applied to any coaster, such as a Mega-Lite. A Mega-Lite is a bigger investment, yes, but couldn't you wrap it in enough special effects that people would be attracted? That first turn gives an awesome opportunity for some Superman rings and synchronized fire/water effects.

Something that was a cross between a Mega-Lite and a Blitz Coaster I think would fit well at the mountain. I just don't see Six Flags forking over the $$$ for one if it was built by Intamin. If say Premier or Chance gave it a go, then maybe they'd be up for it since the cost would be much lower.

Does really have me curious as to what MM's future coaster plans are in the years following Iron Colossus, I'm pretty sure the higher ups already have an idea of what's going to be built in the next 5 years or so...