TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

“We’re thrilled that so many people are as passionate about Colossus as we are at Six Flags Magic Mountain. We think they’ll love what we have planned for the future.”

She basically gave it away. Not like it was a secret to begin with, but this nearly confirms an overhaul.

Here's the facts regarding SFMM and annual maintenance: they simply don't spend enough money to get them all done on time. They don't have the manpower or resources to get them all done. 100% on them.

It would have been a good idea to buy all their coasters with an extra train so that each ride could run at full capacity while one train was being rehabbed but lack of money was probably a factor.

A few of you are hitting it right on the head. Your experience at SFMM is largely about expectations. If you go in expecting an experience in a clean park with great ride ops, guest relations, etc. then you're going to be disappointed. If you go there to ride some fun rides and don't sweat the rest of it, you'll have a good time.

Exactly!

People have unrealistic expectations for MM, I said this a while back on this very thread and was told I didn't know enough about parks and I was making excuses for MM

A few of you are hitting it right on the head. Your experience at SFMM is largely about expectations. If you go in expecting an experience in a clean park with great ride ops, guest relations, etc. then you're going to be disappointed. If you go there to ride some fun rides and don't sweat the rest of it, you'll have a good time.

Exactly!

People have unrealistic expectations for MM, I said this a while back on this very thread and was told I didn't know enough about parks and I was making excuses for MM

I went in expecting it to be similar to SFGAdv and the park was a bit better. The coasters were fantastic and honestly, all of the employees I encountered were quite sociable. The only thing that hurt the park were its lack of flat rides (I didn't have time to ride any, but they would be good for families) and the food prices like any Six Flags.

I saw a Theme Park website other than this one (so I won't name it - but it's not "that" one) that said that they've been told about the plans for Colossus, but there's an embargo on the information. According to this seemingly pretty reputable site there's to be a formal announcement on the plans for Colossus on Thurs 8/28.

That comment above pretty much gives it away though, it all but confirms an RMC overhaul. The question is which type will it be?

Exactly!

I know, f^$# me, right? How dare I expect a clean park that knows how to operate their rides while treating their guests with some decency?

I know, f^$# me, right? How dare I expect a clean park that knows how to operate their rides while treating their guests with some decency?

You just need to adjust your expectations. If you know you're paying for garbage, then you'll be happy that you did spend money on garbage. Isn't that how it works? I think I read it on the internet once.

Sign the petition to keep Colossus running terribly!

I don't know why these people think that Six Flags cares about their dumb petition. If they thought the ride was so great then how come nobody was riding it? If the ride was as popular as these people want the park to believe it was then they wouldn't be messing with it because it would have huge lines every day and it would be a major draw for the park.

I'm sure that the only number the park cares about is how many people ride the ride. If there aren't enough people riding it to justify the cost of operating and maintaining it then the ride isn't going to be around for very long. Ridership is all that matters, petitions that try to pretend everyone in the State of California is in love with the ride and will never go back if they remove it are pointless when Six Flags knows that actual ridership numbers.

Is anyone here going out to the park soon, and interested in doing a photo trip report?

I understand they cut down quite a few trees, and did a lot more trimming, in Ninja's course. Also, have we seen a current picture of the track where the tree fell? I'm assuming there was no damage to the track, just wondering if there is any visual evidence that anything happened there?

Also interested if anyone has ridden the new kid's coaster - from pictures I've seen, it looks decent.

Thanks!

Exactly!

More or less, this is what some parks (like SFMM) are saying. My point wasn't that they shouldn't care about that. It was more that people are constantly complaining about things that SFMM is probably never going to change. So as long as you realize what you're going to get, you'll have a more positive experience because they do have a number of above average roller coasters. I've only been to that park 10 times or so, but I've always had a lot of fun and I'm excited for my trip there next week.

Exactly!

More or less, this is what some parks (like SFMM) are saying. My point wasn't that they shouldn't care about that. It was more that people are constantly complaining about things that SFMM is probably never going to change. So as long as you realize what you're going to get, you'll have a more positive experience because they do have a number of above average roller coasters. I've only been to that park 10 times or so, but I've always had a lot of fun and I'm excited for my trip there next week.

So, I should expect terrible operations, inedible overpriced food, horrible customer service, and poorly maintained rides in order to have a great day?

Jeez, this is why I don't go to SFMM anymore and rather spend my money at Knott's and SeaWorld.

I don't get why everyone gives Magic Mountain such a hard time.

I have been there and RAREly experience something that ruins my day. I have a season pass and there was an employee who accidentally said fuck you on the mic.

Yes there are minor annoyances. I rarely see trash on the floor but when I do I understand that there are Thousands of Visitors every day many of which are teens.

The Bathrooms are not clean by the end of the day but so are airports or public bathrooms on the side of the road.

I've seen a lot of employees who really care and go out of their way to make it a wonderful day. We went to Huricane Harbor yesterday and there was several employees who were taking it on their own to create separate lines for the Blue / Orange / Black Snake Summit so they could run max efficiency at the BONZI pipelines. The ride opt had the biggest smile and was thanking people for being patient and telling some really funny jokes while the ride was down for 5 min for maintenance to fix it.

So, I should expect terrible operations, inedible overpriced food, horrible customer service, and poorly maintained rides in order to have a great day?

Jeez, this is why I don't go to SFMM anymore and rather spend my money at Knott's and SeaWorld.

According to the Six Flags fanboy apologists, yes. If you fork over your hard-earned money you should EXPECT a horrible day in order to have a great day. It's like the amusement park version of "Why you gotta make me hit you, baby?"

I hope the trees were not cut down just to pacify the GP. I would have inspected the trees. Can't SFMM bring in somebody to inspect trees near paths and coasters every month or every other week or so?

Thrill Capital Insider's Facebook says that X2's audio is back on, by the way.

According to the Six Flags fanboy apologists, yes. If you fork over your hard-earned money you should EXPECT a horrible day in order to have a great day. It's like the amusement park version of "Why you gotta make me hit you, baby?"

LOL someone else used the beaten wife analogy before me. Damn. I was hoping to slow burn that one, you know? At least there's always the follow up "I deserved to get hit" comparison. "_INSERT MARKET HERE_ doesn't deserve/already has a destination park to go to, so Six Flags needs to market itself and operate in a totally different manner. This is the park they/we need, man."

We should find some photos when ninja first opened and compare

Ninja trees & hillside at SFMM: 2 months after opening (1988)

(2:22 - 7:25)

ninja_sfmm_1988_1.png.94792ea47fba79819022858a60b0c453.png

Photo © Ric Turner + RCDB

ninja_sfmm_1988_2.png.2d8aa3e084482552a9779f1b2baef06e.png

ninja_sfmm_1988_3.thumb.png.9d323c1be2f3de300da4b3b7401d9556.png

ninja_sfmm_1988_4.png.d3c23c79d5595f5b8bb44fab68da2133.png