TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Where was Riddler's single rider line? I waited over an hour for that coaster while basically every other attraction was a 15 minute wait or less.

For Riddler, start by walking up the exit path, but don't go up the staircase that you see riders exiting from (with track above your head). Go to your left around the building and you will see a doorway on your right marked with the SRL sign and a staircase inside leading up. This staircase takes you right to the ride operator who will put you on the next train. Riddler's SRL is awesome, you can walk onto the ride virtually any time of any day no matter how busy it is.

One addition, if you get to the lockers you went too far.

^Yes, actually. I was just at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor on Monday and gave the Flash Pass a try. WORTH EVERY PENNY! We were able to do probably 60% more rides with it and didn't have to run around all day to do everything. Here's how the system works: You are given a waterproof wristband/watch with a chip in it. To reserve rides, you go to any kiosk in the park (there seemed to be one near every slide tower and a couple others at miscellaneous locations) and everyone in your group scans their band. You then pick which slide you want to reserve (it is good on all slides), it will tell you the wait time, and then you confirm by scanning your bands again. Your watch will display a timer counting down, and when it reaches zero you just go to the ride, enter through the Flash Pass line, scan in, and go straight to the tower. You will still have a short wait (5-10 minutes usually), but you get to bypass the switchback queue at the bottom, which can get up to 45-60 minutes for some rides. Once you get down the slide, just go back to a kiosk to reserve your ride.

Now, I only got regular, but since you are going on the weekend I recommend investing in Gold. With the regular pass, your wait time is equal to the actual slide wait, but with Gold it is about half as long. I believe the price difference is only $10-15, so it won't break your budget or anything.

I'm not sure if you've been to SFHH before, but I'll post my opinions of the attractions below for you (or anyone else) who hasn't and is considering going (ratings compared only to others of the type):

Bamboo Racer: A standard mat racing slide, pretty much the same as most of them (aka fun in a group, boring by yourself). The line usually isn't too bad for this one. 6/10

Black Snake Summit: This tower has two levels with different attractions. The lower level features two enclosed single tube slides, which are pretty good (better than Tiki Falls, but not as good as Lightning Falls), while the upper level features two enclosed spiraling body slides, the tallest in California (these are just okay, and do give you a bit of backscratching). Due to a classic Six Flags mistake (replacing one slide on this tower with the two Bonzai Pipelines slides, but not upgrading the plumbing), one of the Black Snake Summit body slides is closed for the season, rendering lines for this attraction very long. I recommend doing the tube slides, but only do the body slide if you really enjoy enclosed speed slides. 6/10 for body slides, 7/10 for tube slides

Bonzai Pipelines: New for 2014, this is the best ride in the park, my favorite speed slide anywhere, and one of the scariest waterslides I have ever been on. The ride features a trapdoor launch, and riders have the option of either a seven story freefall or an enclosed high-speed helix. Definitely ride both of them, and then re-ride your favorite if you have time. This ride gets long lines, but do not miss it! 9/10

Lightning Falls: My favorite of the three innertube slide towers at the park, this one features three flumes. One of the flumes is enclosed for the first couple turns, then opens up for the rest of the ride, and the other two flumes are open the whole way down. This is the only tube slide that allows double tubes (only on the fully open slides). I recommend riding this one multiple times, especially since the line moves fast. 9/10

Lost Temple Rapids: The park's family raft ride, this one is just okay. I'd recommend riding first thing in the morning as a warm-up ride, but after that don't ride again due to the wait and the dull ride. 6/10

Reptile Ridge: This tower has five small body slides: three enclosed and two open. The enclosed slides are decent, but the open slides are pretty mediocre (I think they're geared toward kids). There's usually a short line for this, so it's worth a ride. 7/10

Taboo Tower: A speed slide tower featuring three different slides: a freefall slide with an enclosed beginning (Daredevil Plunge), a multi-bump slide (Escape Chute), and an enclosed spiraling slide (Secret Passage). I'm not a huge fan of these rides, as all three rides are backscratchers to a certain degree (Escape Chute is the worst for this), though Secret Passage is better than the Black Snake Summit body slides. This tower is worth riding if the line is short (it usually is), but if you have to miss one attraction at the park this is the one to skip. 5/10

Tiki Falls: Probably my least favorite slides at the park, this tower has three enclosed single tube slides. It's not a terrible ride, but the similar Black Snake Summit tube slides are better. However, Tiki Falls does have one of the fastest moving lines in the park. 5/10

Tornado: Standard Proslide Tornado, good ride but once you've been on one they're all pretty much the same. This usually gets the longest line in the park, so I recommend riding early. 7/10

Overall, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is a good waterpark, but it's not one of the best. You'll have a good time there, just expect it to be crowded and decide what you want to ride ahead of time.

^^ Great write up.

I have been before (We have season pass). I just never used the fast pass. We usually go earlier in the season or on weekdays.

s Hurricane Harbor on Monday and gave the Flash Pass a try. WORTH EVERY PENNY! We were able to do probably 60% more rides with it and didn't have to run around all day to do everything. Here's how the system works: You are given a waterproof wristband/watch with a chip in it. To reserve rides, you go to any kiosk in the park (there seemed to be one near every slide tower and a couple others at miscellaneous locations) and everyone in your group scans their band. You then pick which slide you want to reserve (it is good on all slides), it will tell you the wait time, and then you confirm by scanning your bands again. Your watch will display a timer counting down, and when it reaches zero you just go to the ride, enter through the Flash Pass line, scan in, and go straight to the tower. You will still have a short wait (5-10 minutes usually), but you get to bypass the switchback queue at the bottom, which can get up to 45-60 minutes for some rides. Once you get down the slide, just go back to a kiosk to reserve your ride.

Do they scan it at the bottom or at the very top?

I was wondering if you can have it scanned at the bottom immediately put in another ride while your waiting that 5-10min.

Edit: NVM I See you have to scan it at a kiosk vs the one at MM.

Still not sure I'll get it. I wonder if their is a discount on fast pass for Season Pass Holders.

Hey Single Rider, My wife and I will be at Magic Mountain on Saturday (2pm) and all day Sunday of July 19th and July 20th, Should we get a fast pass on Sunday? will it be crowded on Sunday July 20th, 2014. You seem to be very knowledgable.

Visiting the park today (kind of busy, normally I try to avoid busy Summer days) and I noticed in line for X2 that they had one of the old Superman cars underneath the tracks. It was funny seeing, I thought they reused the chassis from it or something. I guess not image.thumb.jpg.0bd60067adf1b3fd4d4c5560d9e6a0b7.jpg

Friends.

Thanks for the information.

I heed not the start time (10:30) h. I'm leaving at 8:00 pm for the park.

I try to go in favorites (X, Viper, Tatsu, Apocalypse, Colossus, Full Throttle, Goliath, Revolution, Scream, THE RIDDLER'S)

Planned path:

1.Full Throttle

2.Colossus

3.Goliath

4.Scream

5.The Riddler's Revenge

6.Apocalypse

8.Tatsu

9.Viper

10.X

If you have time, will the other rides

Thanks again.

Eduado

Hey Single Rider, My wife and I will be at Magic Mountain on Saturday (2pm) and all day Sunday of July 19th and July 20th, Should we get a fast pass on Sunday? will it be crowded on Sunday July 20th, 2014. You seem to be very knowledgable.
If you were going just Saturday I'd say definitely. Going half of a Saturday and a full Sunday is usually what I do, so you definitely don't need one Saturday because you're coming back the next day. As far as Sunday goes, play it by ear. Plan on the $65 (Always get the gold, not the regular) but wait until you get to the park. If it's overly crowded when you get there you can go to the office and buy one then since they never sell out and don't cost any more the day of. It looks like it wasnt too busy today and there arent any events I can see scheduled for Sunday, so I'm betting you won't need it.

Has anyone seen/mentioned this yet?

Our friend Woody at radio station ALT 98.7 is throwing a goodbye party for Colossus.

What better way to send this classic wood coaster into the history books than a late night party with Woody? Saturday night, July 26 from 11 p.m. - 3 a.m.

Want to join the party? Listen and win tickets on ALT 98.7 from Woody, or purchase this exclusive ticket online now. Get your wood on and ride Colossus one last time! Season Passes are not valid for this exclusive event.

To buy tickets to the Colossus event for $36: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/tickets?promo_code=woody

Sunday is gonna be HELL at the park. It's the Gold Pass bring a friend free day. GET A FLASH PASS. You will need it. We are talking about 2-3 hours for headliners and 60-90min for the non-headliners. It's no joke. I went last year and thy actually extended the park hours to 10PM closing. The overflow lot will fill and they will be using lots you didn't even know exist.

I give you good luck and yes, you will need a flash pass to do more than 5 rides that day.

Sunday is gonna be HELL at the park. It's the Gold Pass bring a friend free day. GET A FLASH PASS. You will need it. We are talking about 2-3 hours for headliners and 60-90min for the non-headliners. It's no joke. I went last year and thy actually extended the park hours to 10PM closing. The overflow lot will fill and they will be using lots you didn't even know exist.

I give you good luck and yes, you will need a flash pass to do more than 5 rides that day.

Where do you find this? I looked at their events and didn't see anything about it. I'm coming down there for a quick trip to ride Colossus one last time on Friday, August 1(might be able to get in a few hours the night before as well) and would like to be prepared for any events going on. I know about Helpful Honda Fridays, but it sounds like today wasn't too busy.

Thanks for posting that. Yeah, those two days will be way more crowded. The regular season pass has something similar, but you get to choose one weekday from July 28 to August 29 so the crowds will be much more spread out. At least that's what I'm hoping since I'm going during the first week of that.

Thanks for posting that. Yeah, those two days will be way more crowded. The regular season pass has something similar, but you get to choose one weekday from July 28 to August 29 so the crowds will be much more spread out. At least that's what I'm hoping since I'm going during the first week of that.

Just take notice that during August the hours start to taper back with workers returning back to school or vacations ending. Yes the 20th might make Key Club day look like a walk in the park and most free friend days the kids seem to bring out the older parents that just hobble or walk around the park enjoying the sites that they recall from yesteryear. Go easy on the people wearing the neon green shirts as they really are there to help you. It will be a good day just keep your elbows up.

Just take notice that during August the hours start to taper back with workers returning back to school or vacations ending. Yes the 20th might make Key Club day look like a walk in the park and most free friend days the kids seem to bring out the older parents that just hobble or walk around the park enjoying the sites that they recall from yesteryear. Go easy on the people wearing the neon green shirts as they really are there to help you. It will be a good day just keep your elbows up.

Uh no. No day makes Key Club day look like a walk in the park, thats just ridiculous. Key Club day is always the busiest day of the year easily. I didn't notice the free friend day Sunday so yeah it will probably be busy and there is a better chance that youd need a flash pass, but I dont think it will be too terrible since if I remember right I think they added these two free friend days only recently. I remember getting an email about it and thinking they might have done that to boost attendance after the bad press of Ninja. Also this is only a gold pass free friend day not a regular free friend day so those are also not as busy as the regular ones.

Speaking of Ninja it is back up and running today, but there is now only one working train (#2), so if you want to ride it earlier might be better as the line will probably only grow as the day goes on. When there's only one train the line tends to grow faster than they can board riders.

Uh no. No day makes Key Club day look like a walk in the park, thats just ridiculous. Key Club day is always the busiest day of the year easily. I didn't notice the free friend day Sunday so yeah it will probably be busy and there is a better chance that youd need a flash pass, but I dont think it will be too terrible since if I remember right I think they added these two free friend days only recently. I remember getting an email about it and thinking they might have done that to boost attendance after the bad press of Ninja. Also this is only a gold pass free friend day not a regular free friend day so those are also not as busy as the regular ones.

What about the regular season pass bring a friend on one weekday that runs for about a month? Is that something they've done in the past? Just wondering if I can expect normal Friday crowds in two weeks or if it will be significantly busier.

^ My pass was issued at SFDK so I can't see SFMM benefits, but if it's for July the last couple days havent been too busy but it looks to be extremely busy today. Of course Saturday is usually the busiest day of the week. Full Throttle was down earlier and now has a full queue, Tatsu is currently down. Reported 90+ minute waits at multiple rides, but theyre just reports. Ninja was deserted when it opened this morning, I'm interested to know how busy it is now.

EDIT: The park is indeed crazy busy today. Over an 60-120 waits for every coaster except Revolution/Scream/Viper/etc and the line of cars waiting to get in is still stretching almost to The Old Rd!