TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if Superman just so happened to get some lighter trains here in the upcoming months

What do you mean? It got new trains three years ago?

Yeah, why would they need new trains, again, already? These are already lighter than the originals. How light do you want them to be?

I haven't bothered to head out to SFMM during the summer in a long time but I have a brother visiting from out of town Aug 1 to Aug 10 and he really wants to go. Does it even make a difference during the summer to aim for a weekday and avoid weekends? Or will the crowds be the same either way? My initial instinct would be to aim for a Tuesday and avoid weekends but I'm not sure if it matters this time of year. Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if Superman just so happened to get some lighter trains here in the upcoming months

What do you mean? It got new trains three years ago?

Yeah, why would they need new trains, again, already? These are already lighter than the originals. How light do you want them to be?

Maybe light enough for them to truly fly off. Perhaps like the Man of Steel himself? Now that's top-notch theming!

I haven't bothered to head out to SFMM during the summer in a long time but I have a brother visiting from out of town Aug 1 to Aug 10 and he really wants to go. Does it even make a difference during the summer to aim for a weekday and avoid weekends? Or will the crowds be the same either way? My initial instinct would be to aim for a Tuesday and avoid weekends but I'm not sure if it matters this time of year. Thoughts?

It definitely makes a difference. In terms of crowds...

Weekday: You can usually do all the coasters without too much difficulty and will probably have time for a few re-rides (average waits of 30 minutes, up to an hour for headliners)

Sunday: You can usually do all the coasters without a Flash Pass, but it will take all day and you probably won't have time for any re-rides (average waits of 45-60 minutes, up to an hour and a half for headliners)

Saturday: If you don't get a Flash Pass, it is practically impossible to do all the coasters in one day (you're lucky to find a wait for a major ride under 90 minutes)

If you can go on a weekday, go on a weekday. If you can afford it, buy a Flash Pass. Especially if you're going with someone from out of town, either go on a weekday or buy a Flash Pass...visiting on a weekend without one is a very bad choice.

Kinda wish they would remove the plastic side moldings from the harnesses!!!!!

I wish they would too, but they are there for a reason.

Here is the question. Tower of terror 2 is not using them on their new car???

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405350004.853857.jpg.05d5fd433a708a65122470c9b137eb15.jpg

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405350004.853857.jpg[/attachment]

I wonder if it has something to do with clearances as the cars exit the launch building/station. Maybe ToT2 has better clearances?

I wonder if it has something to do with clearances as the cars exit the launch building/station. Maybe ToT2 has better clearances?

Well, considering some guy managed to get his fingertips chopped off on Pirates of the Caribbean in Florida, maybe the moldings aren't such a bad idea.

This might be a dumb question - but I'm gonna ask it anyway:

Gold FP - can you use it for rides multiple times? Or is it basically a "skip the line once for each ride and that's it" kind of thing?

So if I were to que for Goliath, ride it, can I que for Goliath again with the FP? Or do I not get to and have to use the normal line?

Never used a flashpass before. But since I'm only going once and won't be back for a while, I want to make the best of the trip and get multiple rides in!

As soon as you enter the ride and they scan your unit. You can re add yourself to any que including Goliath again. Depending on how long the wait is. You might be able to get back in the FP line as soon as you get off

As soon as you enter the ride and they scan your unit. You can re add yourself to any que including Goliath again. Depending on how long the wait is. You might be able to get back in the FP line as soon as you get off

Sweet! Just wanted to make sure I can use it multiple times for the same ride (after we ride, of course).

Thank you for your quick response!

Gold FP - can you use it for rides multiple times? Or is it basically a "skip the line once for each ride and that's it" kind of thing?

So if I were to que for Goliath, ride it, can I que for Goliath again with the FP? Or do I not get to and have to use the normal line?

Never used a flashpass before. But since I'm only going once and won't be back for a while, I want to make the best of the trip and get multiple rides in!

If the money isn't going to put a huge dent in your wallet just get the Platinum Flash Pass with X2 and Full Throttle add ons, especially if you don't get there at park opening. If you get there at opening and can get on Full Throttle first, then consider getting a Gold Flash Pass instead. I was there on Friday 6/27 from 1:10 - 7:45PM, I'll cut and re-post part of my trip report for you below:

Platinum Flash Pass - absolutely worth every penny!! We did the PFP and added X2 and YOLOcoaster. YOLOcoaster was a 2 hour wait but it was a literal walk on for us, shortest wait of the day. It is interesting that each ride uses a different method for the PFP. Apocalypse puts you way back in the queue and my kids took a good hour to get their 2 rides in, while YOLOcoaster, X2, and Tatsu were literal walk ons. Ninja was a very strange implementation as was Goliath. Goliath mingles you back at the back of the train in a kind of random, chaotic mixture, and Ninja appears to load an entire train full of FP people while the non FP people wait (thought it was just a bit odd). Anyway, we were there from about 1:10PM to 7:45PM and got in a total of 15 rides (at least my kids did):

Viper x2

Revolution x2

Tatsu (back row)

Apocalypse x2

Ninja

YOLOcoaster (back row)

X2

Lex Luthor DOD

Colossus

Goliath

Green lantern

Superman

X2 - Why did I ride this after seeing all your reviews, LOL? I guess I didn't recall the ride oscillating you back and forth in the chair as much when I rode it 4 years ago? Isn't that basically what a cat does to it's prey to snap it's neck and kill it, bite into it and shake it up and down until it's neck snaps? I'm surprised nobody has had any knee injuries after riding this thing. I just had to give it a go I guess, don't know if I'd ride it again though.

YOLOcoaster - Like some others here I don't get the negative reviews. Definitely our favorite ride of the day. It's fast, smooth, and has some unique elements (for me at least).

It's very sad that grouping is considered an improvement of operations at SFMM...

Its not really an improvement as Six Flags does not allow you to make seating requests. Its been a year since I visited the park, but last time I did, I waited an hour in line for Full Throttle so I could get a front row ride, only to get to the station and be told no seating requests. That was the cherry on top of a bad day at the park and I haven't been back since.

If SFMM is going to start grouping people they should look down the road at Universal and Disney and copy exactly how they handle grouping.

Also, its great to see they are paying a person to group people at Colossus. We all Know that if there was one ride in the park that needed a grouper it was that one.

I'm willing to bet Riddlers Revenge doesn't have one.

The only ones that are one time use are the reservations for X2.

From a TPR TR in 2011 you can see they have the side moldings on Tot2.

www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1018798

From a TPR TR in 2011 you can see they have the side moldings on Tot2.

www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1018798

Gotcha. In the video. I didn't notice it because they were black and it appeared everyone had hands up!!

Hello with their annual announcement right around the corner I'm curious as to what you think is coming?

I believe 2016 we will see iron closses because it will be so big it will probably take 2 years to build.

I do believe we will get something smaller. My bet is in Deja Vu or Swashbucklers spot. (Since Swashbuckler has been abandoned since January.)

I would like to see some new additions to Huricane Harbor in way of beautification and maintenance. The last time I was there a few weeks ago Black Snake summit slides were all closed. There ewas one side of the Tiki slide closed as well as 2 of the white slides next to the Bonzi Pipelines. As well as one more of the raft rides sides.

This significantly makes it longer ride times.

Id also like them to redo the bathrooms but Six Flags can't market that like a new coaster.... even if it needs it.

I would love to see them add a frisbee ride. This park is lame in the flat ride department.

I agree.. I'd really like a sky screamer but I heard from people in the management that they will never do it because they want Superman to be the biggest ride.