TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I absolutely cannot stand how most people are so quick to judge. People on Facebook were automatically spewing out how this happened due to the park's negligence.

This one guy on our local news page went on a rant about how Six Flags doesn't care about the safety of their customers and how their so negligent that, and I quote, "people have been dying on their rides for decades". I replied with "So, if a tree in your yard falls because of a big thunderstorm and lands on someone's car, that must make you negligent too, right? You must not care about the safety of your family or neighbors."

Oh well, I'm still going to Magic Mountain in a couple of weeks. Shame that Ninja most likely won't be open. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. This whole thing could have been way worse. Almost as worse as how the media initially made it out to be. Our local station had a headline of "4 people hurt as roller coaster CRASHES at Magic Mountain!"

I just rode Ninja yesterday! That's crazy! As of yesterday around 2PM when I rode, everything seemed perfectly fine, and I believe I rode in train 3 as well! I didn't see any trees anywhere near falling! So this must've happened really quickly!

Well, I'm glad I rode it yesterday and not today at least.

God lord, what a tragedy. I'm relieved to see that everyone on the ride is okay, especially after seeing that Reddit picture of the impact that the train left on that tree. It's rather obvious that Ninja is about to have a long period of downtime to get everything cleaned up, but I'd really hate to see it being forcibly removed altogether just to satisfy any concerned members of the general public. I live 3000 miles away and I've had the privilege of riding this coaster once, as well as the now-defunct Big Bad Wolf, and it would be such a shame if another popular suspended coaster would have to be removed so suddenly because of an unpredictable accident.

I absolutely cannot stand how most people are so quick to judge. People on Facebook were automatically spewing out how this happened due to the park's negligence.

This one guy on our local news page went on a rant about how Six Flags doesn't care about the safety of their customers and how their so negligent that, and I quote, "people have been dying on their rides for decades". I replied with "So, if a tree in your yard falls because of a big thunderstorm and lands on someone's car, that must make you negligent too, right? You must not care about the safety of your family or neighbors."

Oh well, I'm still going to Magic Mountain in a couple of weeks. Shame that Ninja most likely won't be open. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. This whole thing could have been way worse. Almost as worse as how the media initially made it out to be. Our local station had a headline of "4 people hurt as roller coaster CRASHES at Magic Mountain!"

That guy is a frikin moron and should be banned from the internet. I'm curious to see what his response to your post is if he has any guts.... idiot.

And I still don't get why people are so quick to say it's the end of this ride when this was a random act of nature NOT A MECHANICAL DEFECT OR MALFUNCTION IN ANY CASE..... it hit a friggin tree that fell on it.... what do you think would happen? Actually.... nobody knows but what happened today is one possible outcome.

I wish people would think more before they knee jerk post about things like this. We don't even know all the facts yet.

Actually seeing as no one was killed (thank goodness) and the incident didn't occur on a lift or break run, it's conceivable that the ride could be running the 1 remaining working train by then. I kinda doubt it, but it's not impossible.

If the track has not been damaged really all they need to do is remove this train. If that's the case it should be back open soon. Oh yeah and the fallen tree.

Of course I would think they will be inspecting all the trees along the course before they reopen it.

^agreed. As we have luckily no major injuries one can right go to learn what caused this and make sure it will not happen again. So they either check all trees by professionals or chop all trees with overhanging branches - which would be on the safer side.

Some above asked as if you are liable if a tree in your garden falls on some others car? I do not know for the US but in Germany you are! It is your tree and you have to make sure - by for example having the tree checked regulary by a gardener - your tree will not hurt others or their property. I know this because I formerly worked as a civil servant for a city and we had our own gardeners employed doing these checks on all trees on public ground.

This excludes of course damage during (!) storms of a certain magnitude. After a storm however you have to check for storm damage and take appropriate action.

Edited by simon8899

i'm glad everyone is safe and okay. i really liked being able to watch the live feed. sfmm did a great, quick and safe job of getting everyone off. freak accidents happen. with all that said, my cousin posted a joke on my facebook..."Bummer. Maybe they need to change the Ninja name to Log Jammer?" too soon!?!

I have a feeling that the SoCal politicians are salivating at this story right now

"No more Ninjas in captivity! They should all be released to Dojos so they are free to roam with their families!"

Some above asked as if you are liable if a tree in your garden falls on some others car? I do not know for the US but in Germany you are! It is your tree and you have to make sure - by for example having the tree checked regulary by a gardener - your tree will not hurt others or their property. I know this because I formerly worked as a civil servant for a city and we had our own gardeners employed doing these checks on all trees on public ground.

In the US, yes you are responsible if your tree falls on another's car due to negligence, but this is usually settled by insurance companies. The homeowner's liability insurance usually covers any damages. Also, if it occurs during a natural disaster, all liabilities are waived as an "act of God." So if your tree comes down during an ice storm, it's not your fault, as it couldn't have been prevented.

Another reminder of why I don't have an account with Facebook Corporation.

My speculation is that the tree toppling could have been due to the drought. Magic Mountain is a very irrigated place, that's why it has a lot more tree cover than surrounding areas. Severe drought can cause stress in trees that can cause them to fall over without a wind storm or earthquake. Many of the trees at SFMM look like they were planted in the early days of the park and they might be getting into problems with the lack of natural water to keep them alive, now made worse by the driest period in California since white people showed up.

If Ninja does reopen, I guess it will happen after a lot of tree removal.

It's a tie for me whether I like Ninja or Kings Island's Bat more, despite the anticlimatic finish of Ninja.

I wonder if the cars themselves actually hit the tree or just the wheel assemblies?

If the later in the case, the rather unique style of this ride is probably responsible for the thankfully no injuries. If the cars happen to be swung away from the tree at the the time it probably saved a lot more damage and injury.