TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

"Where did the rest of the ride go? Did it fall?"

Someone fire this guy. He shouldn't be saying this stuff on a live stream.

It's the helicopter pilots talking on all the feeds. I doubt they care.

Darn. Two accidents in one day. Why do accidents always happen in pairs (this and NTAG-Shoot the Rapids)? This has not been a good day for amusement parks.

As least no one was killed.

Edited by VF15

Anyone else realize this is the second major tree-related accident this year at SFMM? Revolution had major damage due to a tree falling on the tracks in I think it was January or so, fortunately I dont think anyone was on it at the time. Groundskeeping crew might have some questions to answer if the earthquake isn't to blame, and even if it is I feel they should have seen this, should have looked for unstable trees/branches even if they knew an earthquake occurred in the area.

Anyone else realize this is the second major tree-related accident this year at SFMM? Revolution had major damage due to a tree falling on the tracks in I think it was January or so, fortunately I dont think anyone was on it at the time. Groundskeeping crew might have some questions to answer if the earthquake isn't to blame, and even if it is I feel they should have seen this, should have looked for unstable trees/branches even if they knew an earthquake occurred in the area.

Oh yeah. Their tree maintenance seems to be lacking.

The last two posts are very strange to me - why does this ride have a higher liability? And how do you know it's not going anywhere?

Am I wrong in saying that it looks like a tree uprooted a bit and literally leaned against the track? I keep seeing "branch" used, but some of the pictures I've seen look to be more than just a branch....

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

The park is definitely still open outside of where all the emerg vehicles are. As the chopper was leaving the scene they zoomed in on other areas of the park, saw trains cycling on other coasters, even the concert was still going on in YOLOPLaza.

Stupid pilot..as he was leaving we got this quote "Why couldnt this have happened on a ride more out in the open?"

Well if nothing else the front car that derailed held and did not crash to the ground.

Thank you! Tired of the people spouting this "Ugh that ride was old and rickety this isnt surprising" ignorance.

Six Flags Magic Mountain released a statement at 8:38 p.m.: "Earlier this evening, a tree branch fell on the track of the roller coaster, Ninja, obstructing the train. Park medical staff and local paramedics were immediately called to the scene. Of the 22 guests safely evacuated, two were transported to a local hospital for precautionary measures."

http://abc7.com/news/magic-mountain-ninja-roller-coaster-accident-4-injured/166567/

Stupid pilot..as he was leaving we got this quote "Why couldnt this have happened on a ride more out in the open?"

The crazy part was when he said to the other guy "Have you taken your pill yet? *Heavy breathing*." I don't even know what to think about that one.

In my opinion Six flags just pulled a great and professional operation. They cleared a full vallied train with one whole vehicle hanging freely in just about two hours. Lets remember that they were not in a easy to reach place. Lets also keep in mind that they acted quickly and even had emergency lights up before sun down. Mother nature is probably to blame as poor Ninja was just the outcome of mother nature. We cant blame anyone until someone confirms what exactly happened. Mother nature is sometimes unpredictable even if that tree happened to be tested the day before doesn't mean it'll be strong the fallowing day. Kudos six flags maintenance team and firefighters for an excellent evacuation!

The last two posts are very strange to me - why does this ride have a higher liability? And how do you know it's not going anywhere?

I said its not not going anywhere because this isn't enough of a reason for a park to spend millions removing a ride due to an act of nature. The tree falling on to the track causing a derailment has nothing to do with the rides reliability or how it operates. They'll probably just fix the train, remove the tree along with any other questionable trees in the area, and have it cleared for operation again soon.

Aside from all of the mindless banter and speculation. I just want to say I'm thankful there are only minor injuries and for the most part everyone is okay. This is an example of how safety systems are and why there are so many wheels keeping trains on the tracks. Things happen and there are many moving parts. I am thankful that this awesome ride kept the passengers as safe as possible.

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

The park is definitely still open outside of where all the emerg vehicles are. As the chopper was leaving the scene they zoomed in on other areas of the park, saw trains cycling on other coasters, even the concert was still going on in YOLOPLaza.

Well if nothing else the front car that derailed held and did not crash to the ground.

Thank you! Tired of the people spouting this "Ugh that ride was old and rickety this isnt surprising" ignorance.

Me too.

I'll also say it looks like the park handled this situation very well.

I didn't hear any of the ignorance the news chopper pilot was spouting.. I guess it's good I didnt.

Dumb tv news people.

Seeing this at first reminded me of Mindbender at Galaxyland but luckily there was no problem in design and upkeep of the ride - and that the impact was far less and all riders will mostly get off with more or less serious bruises. I guess this went out VERY lucky.

Nevertheless I think this will the end to well shaded rides as it is a valid point to ask why branches of trees were hanging over the coaster. I do not know for rides but here it is forbidden by the law for branches or trees to hang over power lines and railway tracks - even if they still do damage by collapsing sideways - and more and more area is cleared here because of that. Generally I think the same should apply to amusement rides - OR every tree must be checked anually by a gardener.

I always thought they overreacted at Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids when they chopped down alllllll the bamboo surrounding the rides. Not that a stick of bamboo would derail a train, but still. I wonder if we'll be seeing a lot more "deforestation" around roller coasters in the future.