TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am still convinced that Iron Colossus video that was on youtube (no longer is) was requested by MM to be taken down as I think it was a leak. I am very interested to see if it is indeed the same thing that they plan on doing with the re-do of colossus (if indeed they do the RMC job to it). The video makes the ride all one continuous ride (all Iron Horse not half steel half wood). Yes that means you go through BOTH the drops (which looked higher than current and about 80-85 degrees. The first half there were 2-3 inversions. The second half it was more twists and airtime elements. I think the aim for it is the worlds longest coaster.

On a side note I want to know what they're doing with where Deja Vu's spot was. I think thats a perfect spot for a Euro Fighter .

Remember when we thought YOLOcoaster was going to be some 6000' long terrain coaster filled with airtime hills? Yep, that really happened.

I like the idea of an Iron Horse Colossus, though I'd not raise your expectations too high until the announcement is made.

Yeah, I never believed that one... lol

I didn't believe it either. Though, I'm starting to hear wild speculation, such as the one about combining both tracks of Colossus which would make it the longest coaster in the world, when honestly, I doubt SFMM will do that.

I would doubt it also, except the structure already allows for it, so it's not like building the longest coaster from scratch.

On a side note I want to know what they're doing with where Deja Vu's spot was. I think thats a perfect spot for a Euro Fighter .

Mega lite please! If MM can put in the low capacity GL, then a mega-lite isn't out of the question considering Intamin and MM are buddies again

Yeah I know...wishful thinking *sigh*

I think a MegaLite would compliment Apocolypse quite well, actually....

....but we all know that SFMM can't market a MegaLite with any 'est' attached to it so it will probably never happen. Would be nice though.

B'est' coaster in the park! Haha but yeah I agree. I don't see SFMM being the park to bring a megalite to the U.S. unfortunately.

I would love to see a mega lite like Lighting Run in that spot as long as Knott's isn't looking at doing one.

A mega lite honestly would make a lot more sense at Knott's than at MM since they could actually market it to fit their wider age demo. They could bill it as a "family" coaster, then surprise the hell out of the guests when they ride it

A mega lite honestly would make a lot more sense at Knott's than at MM since they could actually market it to fit their wider age demo. They could bill it as a "family" coaster, then surprise the hell out of the guests when they ride it

Let's keep dreaming...

On Colossus, I'm not really sure what I'd prefer if RMC were to give it a makeover. The combination of the tracks for some reason doesn't strike me as a very likely option give MM's track record, but you never know. Same goes for leaving 1/2 of it the 'classic' wooden layout -- though this would align more with their habit of cutting costs & corners.

I guess if I could hope for anything, it would be for Colossus to become a 1-track coaster and reprofiled similar to NTAG/IRat.

^I'm not too familiar with the Flash Pass system at Six Flags parks. It seems more complicated than Cedar Fair's FastLane, so I never really took the time to understand it. Could someone explain to me why a Gold is better than a Platinum?

Well here's the deal. They way it's advertised is that the regular gives you the same wait as the standby line except you don't have to do your waiting in line, the gold reduces the wait by 50%, the platinum reduces the wait by 90% and gives you the option to remain in your seat after your first lap and take a second ride (on some rides, not all).

In reality, both the gold and the platinum give you roughly 90% off of the wait time. I always get the gold and in my experience almost every ride is 5-10 min wait. The only ones that are usually a long ~45min wait are the water rides in summer.

With the wait time being mostly equal, the only real advantages to the platinum are the ability to purchase reservations for YOLOCoaster for $15 and the double ride, and for me the double ride loses it's appeal when you have to remain in the same seat. If I'm going to double ride I'd want to do front and back row which you aren't allowed to do. So the gold in my opinion is the best deal.

It's not complicated to use at all, in fact I like the Flash Pass a lot more than the Fast Lane. You get a little digital pager-type thing where you can scroll through the list of rides and it tells you what time your ride will be ready for each. When you select one it starts waiting until the posted time and then it flashes and vibrates to let you know your ride is ready. When you walk up to the flash pass entrance an employee near the station will have a device that reads yours and resets it; as soon as they read your device you can reserve your next ride. Most people will reserve their next ride while still in the station for the first one and it will be ready by the time you get off the ride. Flash Pass lines also most often tend to merge with the regular line much closer to loading than Fast Lane.

Oh one big heads up - I found out the hard way if you go during fright fest they put the mazes on the flash pass device. If you're there for the mazes that's cool, but I think there's a limit to the number of possible attractions on the flash pass because during fright fest a good chunk of coasters that normally support flash pass wont be on the list.

Great info, thanks. I might be visiting the park on Friday, June 27th and had a few questions.

1) If I go with the Gold Pass and regret it for some reason, can I upgrade it later in the day to a Platinum Pass? Is there a chance the passes run out later in the day?

2) Are you able to exit the park (to get lunch, etc...) and return and continue using the Flash Pass? I would assume yes...

3) Would the game plan still be to hit Yolocoaster first and then get the Flash Pass?

I just want to make sure I maximize my time since I likely won't be back any time soon. If anybody wants pics of anything in particular let me know.

TIA,

Great info, thanks. I might be visiting the park on Friday, June 27th and had a few questions.

1) If I go with the Gold Pass and regret it for some reason, can I upgrade it later in the day to a Platinum Pass? Is there a chance the passes run out later in the day?

2) Are you able to exit the park (to get lunch, etc...) and return and continue using the Flash Pass? I would assume yes...

3) Would the game plan still be to hit Yolocoaster first and then get the Flash Pass?

I just want to make sure I maximize my time since I likely won't be back any time soon.

Unfortunately you cannot change from one type to another, although if money is not an object you could always just return the gold and buy a platinum. Again unless you want to buy YOLOCoaster passes or ride twice in a row the platinum is pointless.

You can absolutely exit the park. You are asked to take your flash pass device to the return window and let the staff know you're coming back, they will hold it for you until you return to the park.

I usually head for one of the two major coasters without flash pass (X2 or YOLOCoaster) before getting my flash pass since park opening is one of the few times to do that without a line. If either of these two coasters are running one train, hit that one right away when the park opens because the line will be long all day. If both are running 2+ trains, then you can take your pick of which one to hit first and hit the other in the afternoon.

I just want to make sure I maximize my time since I likely won't be back any time soon.

Unfortunately you cannot change from one type to another, although if money is not an object you could always just return the gold and buy a platinum. Again unless you want to buy YOLOCoaster passes or ride twice in a row the platinum is pointless.

You can absolutely exit the park. You are asked to take your flash pass device to the return window and let the staff know you're coming back, they will hold it for you until you return to the park.

I usually head for one of the two major coasters without flash pass (X2 or YOLOCoaster) before getting my flash pass since park opening is one of the few times to do that without a line. If either of these two coasters are running one train, hit that one right away when the park opens because the line will be long all day. If both are running 2+ trains, then you can take your pick of which one to hit first and hit the other in the afternoon.

Is there ever any chance of them running out of Platinum Flash Passes? Do you happen to know the rides that don't allow 2 rides in a row with the Platinum, I don't see a list on their web site.

TIA,

Anyone been to the park as of lately? I'd like to see a Photo TR on anything new or changes.

Tell me what you want a picture of and I will take it tomorrow night (thursday). I really don't think anything new is going on except new coaster in Bugs world that might open in cpl weeks (?)

Is there ever any chance of them running out of Platinum Flash Passes? Do you happen to know the rides that don't allow 2 rides in a row with the Platinum, I don't see a list on their web site.

TIA,

There is that chance, but they are less likely to run out of platinum than regular or gold. It takes a really really busy day for them to sell out of any level, it doesnt happen often. I was there on saturday of labor day weekend last year which is one of the busiest of the year and they didn't sell out.

I dont know where there's a list of those, I know obviously you can't reride YOLO or X2, I know you can reride Ninja, Scream, Riddler's, and Viper. I *think* you can't reride Green Lantern (although it has single rider line, so you can get back on fast anyway). Generally the more popular rides or rides with complicated (or low capacity) loading are less likely to allow it.

Take advantage of Single Rider Line on Lex, Riddlers, and Green Lantern if you don't have a big group, can save you a ton of time.

holly crap, just went on Colossus for the first time in a long time. i'm so glad they are closing it. that was seriously painful.

Slurpee night was good. there are a few days where if you buy a Slurpee, you get a wristband for an hour of ERT after the park closes. Today was Goliath and Drop of Doom. I'd guess maybe 50-60 total people? However many, you didn't have to get off Goliath, and Drop of Doom was empty until we got there. Fun time.

I like how so many people think Colossus is horrible because they rode those terrible Psyclone trains and expected them to be just the same forwards.

Forwards with those Morgan trains is a pretty fun ride. It's not the most intense wooden coaster, though it's in no way painful.

I like how so many people think Colossus is horrible because they rode those terrible Psyclone trains and expected them to be just the same forwards.

Forwards with those Morgan trains is a pretty fun ride. It's not the most intense wooden coaster, though it's in no way painful.

+1. I still have nightmares about those Psyclone trains

I rode backwards on the B&M trains a couple years ago during Fright Fest and and it's funny because at the time the Morgan trains were really rough but the B&M trains were pretty smooth or at least unremarkable. Now the B&M trains are extremely painful but the Morgan trains have been giving unusually smooth rides. Perhaps there was some track work or something done a while back to accommodate the Morgan trains which didn't agree with the B&M's.

I went to the park yesterday and had a great day despite an initial hiccup.

We ended up having to buy season passes because that was the cheapest way to get six of us in after we learned our AAA discount was online-only (despite conflicting information and a poorly-designed website), and since we had driven from Anaheim that morning, we didn't get in the park until about noon. (NOTE: We have a few regular season passes now; these do allow entry to any park in the chain, right? If so, we might try to use them at a new park in the fall.)

Rides:

-YOLO (#47; 45 min) WOW! That was a lot better than I expected. Several spots have INSANE negative-G action!

-Tatsu (35 min?) Still a great ride. The pretzel loop remains the single most intense element I have experienced.

-X2 (#48; 40 min?) My new #1...my brother's reaction to this ride was priceless.

-Attempted to ride Namtab, but the line was glacial. Is there only 1 train during backwards operations?

-Green Lantern (#49; 10 min w/ single rider line) Was all right; the body slams on the "turns" created some whiplash and a bit of a headache.

-The Riddler's Revenge (#50!; 45 min) I wanted to like this ride, but because the seats are hard to move in the station, it became painful to my upper thighs. Otherwise, it was a good ride.

After 4 consecutive days of theme parks, my family was tired, so we decided to stop there. It was a good day.

^ There are 2 backwards trains although its possible one of them wasn't running that day. For Riddlers (or any standup) if you are standing straight up like they tell you to do, your weight will be on that hard bicycle seat and its uncomfortable. You have to crouch just a tad before the seats lock so that when theyre locked, you stand up straight and theres an inch or two clearance between the seat and yourself so your weight won't actually be on it during the ride.

^ There are 2 backwards trains although its possible one of them wasn't running that day. For Riddlers (or any standup) if you are standing straight up like they tell you to do, your weight will be on that hard bicycle seat and its uncomfortable. You have to crouch just a tad before the seats lock so that when theyre locked, you stand up straight and theres an inch or two clearance between the seat and yourself so your weight won't actually be on it during the ride.

1. There were probably 2 from what I saw, but the line was still ridiculous.

2. I've done that successfully on CGA's Vortex, but our seats on Riddler were being difficult. They went to the top and wouldn't move until an op came by our car and moved everything down; even so, the seat went up 2 or so notches on its own after that (and even on the lift ). I found that a bit odd...