TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

but why complain when you knew what you got yourself into the minute you exited the 5 freeway?

Because it doesn't have to be that way. If you want to be an apologist for the place, that's fine. I have no emotional need to do that myself. But don't act surprised that lots of people in this hobby don't share your view.

THIS. Exactly this. I visit lots of parks every year. Probably in the neighborhood of 50 to 100 parks depending on our annual schedule. One consistency in our annual park travels is that I have visited SFMM EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1976. SFMM used to come up towards the top of my list of major parks I visit. Now it comes towards the bottom.

I "get" that there is a local enthusiasm for the park. And I "get" that people who haven't traveled as much as either Joey or I probably can't relate to our complaints.

Take it for what it's worth. And no, I don't "hate" the park. And I would like to see it back in my top of parks instead of that lower third. I'm not "waxing nostalgic" I'm simply saying it's just doesn't stack up in the guest service department to many other parks we visit annually. And like others have said, it's up to the park to make those improvements, or not.

--Robb

No, people get that totally. Here's the deal:

-No one forced Six Flags Magic Mountain to buy 19 roller coasters.

-No one forced Six Flags Magic Mountain to keep every single roller coaster it has purchased in the last several years.

Just for accuracy, SFMM declined to keep both DejaVu & Psyclone.

As far as I know there is usually a few piles of whitewashed boards on the infield of Colossus's first turn and the area behind Apocalypse is full of all sorts of random crap, so I wouldn't write it up as proof of anything yet.

Correct. They have carpenters who are continually doing upkeep on the ride.

Being the highest earning Park in the chain for the third year in a row should mean something to them. It's a good accomplishment that should reflect itself in terms of upkeep, maintenance, service and attractions. I really wish Six Flags would take more pride in the park. Fanatically it's come such a long way since 2006. This should be the most kick ass park in the chain.

^I'm not too familiar with the Flash Pass system at Six Flags parks. It seems more complicated than Cedar Fair's FastLane, so I never really took the time to understand it. Could someone explain to me why a Gold is better than a Platinum?

Well here's the deal. They way it's advertised is that the regular gives you the same wait as the standby line except you don't have to do your waiting in line, the gold reduces the wait by 50%, the platinum reduces the wait by 90% and gives you the option to remain in your seat after your first lap and take a second ride (on some rides, not all).

In reality, both the gold and the platinum give you roughly 90% off of the wait time. I always get the gold and in my experience almost every ride is 5-10 min wait. The only ones that are usually a long ~45min wait are the water rides in summer.

With the wait time being mostly equal, the only real advantages to the platinum are the ability to purchase reservations for YOLOCoaster for $15 and the double ride, and for me the double ride loses it's appeal when you have to remain in the same seat. If I'm going to double ride I'd want to do front and back row which you aren't allowed to do. So the gold in my opinion is the best deal.

It's not complicated to use at all, in fact I like the Flash Pass a lot more than the Fast Lane. You get a little digital pager-type thing where you can scroll through the list of rides and it tells you what time your ride will be ready for each. When you select one it starts waiting until the posted time and then it flashes and vibrates to let you know your ride is ready. When you walk up to the flash pass entrance an employee near the station will have a device that reads yours and resets it; as soon as they read your device you can reserve your next ride. Most people will reserve their next ride while still in the station for the first one and it will be ready by the time you get off the ride. Flash Pass lines also most often tend to merge with the regular line much closer to loading than Fast Lane.

Oh one big heads up - I found out the hard way if you go during fright fest they put the mazes on the flash pass device. If you're there for the mazes that's cool, but I think there's a limit to the number of possible attractions on the flash pass because during fright fest a good chunk of coasters that normally support flash pass wont be on the list.

I'm looking forward to Collossus becoming Iron Collossus via the RMC treatment. With Collossus closing in August it's all but confirmed. I could bet $$ on it. We just have to wait for the official announcement in late August or early September. I have a feeling that this has been in the works for several years. Now the question is will it be a dual track racer or will the ride go around the track twice? I doubt they will preserve one side as is with simply topper track. I can't wait to see what they do with this colossal structure! There's so much potential.

I for one feel like they will just keep one wood and one a hybrid. I don't see why not. That would be a worlds first wood vs steel racing/dueling. No matter what is done though it will great assuming RMC is the manufacturer

I for one feel like they will just keep one wood and one a hybrid. I don't see why not.

There are soooooo many different reasons why this would be a horrible, horrible idea....

- Different maintenance required on two different tracks of one coaster.

- Different support structure needed

- Different track type needed

- Different control system needed

- The confusion of your average guest

- It's simply not a good idea to begin with

I could continue the list, but this a horrible idea.

I for one feel like they will just keep one wood and one a hybrid. I don't see why not.

There are soooooo many different reasons why this would be a horrible, horrible idea....

I agree on that one. The main reason to keep one wood is nostalgia (which SFMM doesn't care about), but that would potentially limit what the I-Box version could do. There would be absolutely no reason to ride the wooden side, so they would probably end up just tearing it down after a couple years. Did I mention it would just bizarre to have have an extreme steel coaster likely with a completely different layout somewhat racing an old, slow and outdated wooden coaster? I just don't see it happening.

-The confusion of your average guest........ LOL!!!

So SF might be considering it?

Remember when we thought Full Throttle was going to be some 6000' long terrain coaster filled with airtime hills? Yep, that really happened.

I like the idea of an Iron Horse Colossus, though I'd not raise your expectations too high until the announcement is made.

THANK YOU ROBB. I have no idea why this strange concept keeps coming up.

Remember when we thought YOLOcoaster was going to be some 6000' long terrain coaster filled with airtime hills? Yep, that really happened.

I like the idea of an Iron Horse Colossus, though I'd not raise your expectations too high until the announcement is made.

Yeah, I never believed that one... lol

Remember when we thought YOLOcoaster was going to be some 6000' long terrain coaster filled with airtime hills? Yep, that really happened.

Yeah, I never believed that one... lol

I didn't believe it either. Though, I'm starting to hear wild speculation, such as the one about combining both tracks of Colossus which would make it the longest coaster in the world, when honestly, I doubt SFMM will do that.