TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Sorry, the roller coaster pictured is 'Montana Rusa' which was built in the 1960's by NAD. Colossus was built by IAD (which previously purchased NAD) and it's often thought that Colossus's design was inspired by that of Montana Rusa.

On the plus side, at least we will have a Colossus-ish type coaster to continue riding, probably for years to come!

^At least the Revolution petition has some steam I'd think more people want a RMC Colossus over the current ride.

How about a fully green rollercoaster. The train full of people have to get out and manually push/pull the train up the lift hill. Save money and work off those theme park calories.

Depending on which park you're at, you burn those calories in the 4 mile hike to the coaster, and the 3 mile hike through the exit ramp back to the park.

^ lol. Well now that Collosus news has hit the national news circuit (saw it on the front page of yahoo) I see more GP-ish coaster lovers signing the petition. Little do they know the possibilities that await them

And that's just from today and with all the slow signature signings, it will make it to its 10,000 signature goal by 2017.

LMAO......Maybe they need to have a rally somewhere to draw more interest.

LMAO......Maybe they need to have a rally somewhere to draw more interest.

All nine of them!

I dunno I feel kinda sorry for them, maybe we need to preserve what used to be one of the fasted coasters of the world. (yes, that mistake was actually from the article)

It says that the petition is supported by a group called the "American Thrill Ride Association", is that even a thing?

Does anyone else think it would be cool if they did some kind of National Lampoon theme with the Colossus redo? I think it'd be appropriate!

^It actually is a thing, I won't post the link to their site but you can Google it.

You know, I get that some people love Colossus the way it is and would like it to stay that way. But what I think they don't fully understand is that if the rumors are true, this could be transformed into something really incredible, like OMFG amazing! I admit, I don't want to see it go, but I REALLY want to see this rumor come true! Park icon? Sure it is, but it could be even more so than ever before.

I'm pretty sure the petition people are just trying to ride the Eyewitness News wave, and are really more after self recognition than support for leaving Colossus alone. "Hey mom, my petition page has over 1,000 views! I'm an internet sensation!"

So if the RMC makeover comes to fruition, does anyone think they could/would do just one side and leave the other side original? That would appease just about everybody and the petitioners might feel as though they actually won......

I don't understand all the desire to keep one side original. We (allegedly) have a company that turns crap coasters into 'top 10' coasters coming into town and we're really gonna say 'RMC, PLEASE fix half of our coaster. We would love that.'

Huh, what?

Then again, we got our 'half coaster' with YOLO so anything can happen

I don't understand all the desire to keep one side original. We (allegedly) have a company that turns crap coasters into 'top 10' coasters coming into town and we're really gonna say 'RMC, PLEASE fix half of our coaster. We would love that.'

Huh, what?

Then again, we got our 'half coaster' with YOLO so anything can happen

It wasn't a desire...it was just a hypothetical question. I have never ridden the coaster and probably never will. This basically was all just in sarcasm to go along with the asinine petition link. Didn't mean to have the original post come off as serious, but please....feel free to add to the ridiculousness....LOL.

I'm pretty sure the petition people are just trying to ride the Eyewitness News wave, and are really more after self recognition than support for leaving Colossus alone. "Hey mom, my petition page has over 1,000 views! I'm an internet sensation!"

Why would they want to save the neutered version of this once great ride. You figure they would want to petition six flags to at least restore it... Ugh. Let's GO RMC

Of course, the closing of Colossus has made it's way all the way to the front page of Yahoo. Interesting. I never knew 6 months after the ride opened a woman died after being ejected from her seat. I must have been living under a rock all my life.

The rollercoaster that turned the Griswold’s nightmarish vacation into a dream is shuttering its creaky, wooden doors.

Colossus, the iconic staple of Six Flags Magic Mountain, will cease thrilling riders on August 16. Officials didn’t give a formal reason for the shutdown.

"Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16," Magic Mountain spokesperson Sue Carpenter said in a statement. "Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus."

The imposing ride has been a theme park beacon since June of 1978, when it was deemed the fastest and tallest wooden coaster in the world. Boasting two drops greater than 100 feet -- the first coaster in the world to try that -- Colossus greets visitors when they pull up to the park, its 4,300 feet of track taking up over ten acres of land.

It’s been a hit in Hollywood, too, most memorably as the final ride taken by the Griswold clan in ‘National Lampoon’s Vacation’ (and less memorably – but no less awesomely – as a backdrop for an epic fight scene in the made-for-TV cult hit “KISS Meets The Phantom of the Park”). Colossus also appeared in episodes of “Knight Rider,” “The A-Team,” and “Wonder Woman.”

It hasn’t always been a smooth ride, however. A mere six months after Colossus opened, a woman died after being ejected from her seat. Colossus was shut down and overhauled with new height and weight restrictions, though for years safety concerns lingered.

Park officials have yet to reveal what kind of attraction they’ll slot into its spot, but for millions of theme park geeks, it’s irreplaceable.

Source