TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think Alan Schilke's evil smirk and, "I can't comment on that." statement when asked about this at IAAPA 2 years ago was a dead giveaway. Somethings coming to the Mountain from the twisted evil genius of his mind. And I for one, can't wait!

The mountain already has one of his MOST evil creations X2!

And they will be getting another!

I think Alan Schilke's evil smirk and, "I can't comment on that." statement when asked about this at IAAPA 2 years ago was a dead giveaway. Somethings coming to the Mountain from the twisted evil genius of his mind. And I for one, can't wait!

This is what I was talking about… Thanks

What would be the point. They would only use both stations for the first summer anyway and never use both again.

I know I know... but if the coaster ends up being such a long ride, they have all the time and space for double stations and LOTS of trains. We'll see... It's gonna be a hot ride, maybe they will choose to REALLY step up to the plate on this one.

“Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16. Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our Guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.”

- Magic Mountain's official statement on Colossus's closure

Looks like ideas of the coaster being just removed can stop.

If Alan Schilke is involved I'm on board, no questions asked.

I thought at one of the WCB in the past few years they were asked about this and kind of gave it away by the way they responded?

Yeah, ever since NTAG was official, management has been saying at the Q&As that it's the greatest thing they've ever seen and they need it for themselves. Unlike when people ask about Wingriders and they're like "yeah, lame" or Megalites and they're all "WTF is megalite?"

Everyone realizes that this will still be at SFMM, right?

Even if it turns out to be the most amazing ride, it's pretty much a given that operations will be terribly inconsistent and the ride will probably experience a major closure of some sort while they wait for a part to arrive...

But at least when their standout coaster is closed you'll have another good excuse to not visit. So there's that.

Wow!! Looks like RMC might possibly do some magic on Colossus! Can't wait to see what's in store!

Let's take this opportunity to go back to 1978 to check out Colossus in it's prime form. I found this video of a bunch of news reel footage of when Colossus first opened.

Notice the wicked airtime hill coming out of the second drop. If RMC is indeed coming to renovate, I know they'll take Colossus and do something incredible with it.

OMG! 1:43 of that video is amazing!!! LMAO!!!

It's wonderful because:

A) He's saying on-air that their new ride is actually kind of boring. Which is definitely true nowadays.

B) Needs more loops YOLO!!!

C) He's foreshadowing it's eventual transformation into a steel coaster.

So anyways, I'm giddy with excitement. And while two separate tracks with totally different layouts would be very cool (presumably either Colossus Classic / New Colossus, or Looping Yolossus / Airtime Awesolossus), I'm really hoping they go for the length record and just make it the undisputed best coaster on the west coast. Plus, it'd be more time riding and less running to get back in line. And they wouldn't have the option of just closing one side when it's convenient, so there'd always been some dueling and full-ish capacity. Win win win.

it will change everything you ever thought you knew about the coaster. Don’t count on seeing it reopen as a racing creation… in fact, don’t even think about it having two separate tracks anymore.

While reading that, I though they were talking about rebuilding only one track, but neither the left or the right one... Instead, utilise the large double-structure as a giant base to make a gigantic structure with one track in the middle.

See my drawing :

I need sleep, I guess.

Anybody else just jazzed by the potential for a serious airtime machine to finally make it out to the west coast? I'm holding my reservations until I see the design and ride it, but the implications of this project based on the rumors suggest only greatness. If it pans out, I will be willing to forgive "missteps" in the park's recent attraction additions.... so long as they operate it efficiently.

While reading that, I though they were talking about rebuilding only one track, but neither the left or the right one... Instead, utilise the large double-structure as a giant base to make a gigantic structure with one track in the middle.

See my drawing :

I need sleep, I guess.

That would be interesting. But do they count colossus as two coasters or one? Because if it is two they wouldn't want to lose one of them.

What he posted was not a rumor, it was simply his dream wish to see that happen. As it has been everyone's dream to see that happen. His two ideas are the same two that everyone wants to see.

I realize that, but he also went on to say this:

"Anyway… while this is mostly my own vision of what Iron Colossus COULD be like, the very idea of combining the two tracks into one giant double-length ride did come to me from a trusted source a long time ago. Could plans have changed?  Sure… but I hope not because an Iron Colossus could be RMC’s most epic project of all time"

^I always counted it as 2 But it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It seems like most of the parks count their racing/dueling coasters as 1.

My theory was that if they had different layouts (not just a mirror or side-by-side the entire ride) or had one side forwards and the other backwards, then they should count as 2 different coasters. For me, Gwazi would count as 2, but Colossus would only be 1.

This is why I would love to see Iron Colossus, but with 2 different sides. Think about how much Magic Mountain would love to be able to market it as their 19th (again) and 20th coasters! That alone would explain their rush to stuff a kiddie coaster in this year.

New prediction: world largest climbing structure/rope course!

How about a fully green rollercoaster. The train full of people have to get out and manually push/pull the train up the lift hill. Save money and work off those theme park calories.