TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Lance at Screamscape has a post up that seems to reflect a lot of what various forum members have said. Here's the abridged version:

...I’ve kept this secret very close to the vest for all this time, because I didn’t want anyone to steal it, but with Colossus now confirmed to be closing, I will share it now. If RMC gets a hold of Colossus, it will change everything you ever thought you knew about the coaster. Don’t count on seeing it reopen as a racing creation… in fact, don’t even think about it having two separate tracks anymore. For my plan to work, the two tracks will become one, along with a possible second mid-ride trip up the lift hill, because if they do this thing right, the combined two track lengths would shatter the record for longest roller coaster, both steel and wooden at roughly 8,650 feet. (Each side of Colossus is 4,325 ft)...With the focus on length for the record and knowing they have a second lift hill run in mid-ride to double the ride length, this can free up the designers to bring some crazy ideas to life as the train attempts to follow Colossus’ old rough layout, but in a very different fashion from before, and what aerial tricks they perform during one round, can be changed up for a different concept in the second run. Or another idea, that I kind of like, in a nostalgia kind of way would be to I-Box one side of Colossus… AS IS… leaving the classic ride experience to enjoy during the first run, then follow it up with a very amp’d up next-gen crazy experience during the run on the second track. Maybe a slightly taller lift or LIM lift, near vertical drop, barrel-rolls, inversions and more...while this is mostly my own vision of what Iron Colossus COULD be like, the very idea of combining the two tracks into one giant double-length ride did come to me from a trusted source a long time ago. Could plans have changed? Sure… but I hope not because an Iron Colossus could be RMC’s most epic project of all time.

Good job ABC! Next time give more info then this. You make it seem like its getting torn down.

“@ABC7: THIS JUST IN: Colossus wooden roller-coaster to shut down August 16 after 36 years at Six Flags Magic Mountain”

Coming soon - Daulossus, featuring:

A Dueling Double-Helix Spiral Lift Hill!

High five down the first drop!

A pre-lift section like you've never seen, featuring the world's first Jojo-Five!

Back-to-back underground Low Fives!

Stengel Five!

...and much more!

I maybe of minority here but I am not really liking all of these wooden rollercoasters being torn down and or converted to a RMC Hybrid/Topper. Yes those coasters are very awesome but some coasters do not need it. While Colossus was not the best coaster in the world, it is a classic. If Six Flags does this to every other slightly old wooden coaster there are not going to be many wooden ones at parks. IK RMC coasters are awesome but not every old or newer woodie needs to become one.

Stashua123, it has to do more with the fact that the amusement industry is an evolving (and especially progressive) business. Sure, Colossus may be a classic, but not many people ride it anymore. That's an issue that I see with a lot of enthusiasts - whether they are a roller coaster enthusiast, a Disney geek, whatever, they don't want to leave the past and have a strong preservationist attitude. An RMC rebuild would warrant positive results for the park, with admissions sales, tourism, and more. If this is what the park will end up doing (which is kind of a given at this point), it's a great call.

Edited by A113

I maybe of minority here but I am not really liking all of these wooden rollercoasters being torn down and or converted to a RMC Hybrid/Topper. Yes those coasters are very awesome but some coasters do not need it. While Colossus was not the best coaster in the world, it is a classic. If Six Flags does this to every other slightly old wooden coaster there are not going to be many wooden ones at parks. IK RMC coasters are awesome but not every old or newer woodie needs to become one.

Colossus is a steaming pile of trash. The other classics in the chain, are not. There's a difference.

Any word on whether they'll be fixing up the restrooms, repairing dilapidated buildings/roofs, providing a solution to the rampant line jumping, or maybe just emptying the trash cans on a regular basis?

No?

Okay, just checking... YOLO!

Any word on whether they'll be fixing up the restrooms, repairing dilapidated buildings/roofs, providing a solution to the rampant line jumping, or maybe just emptying the trash cans on a regular basis?

No?

Okay, just checking... YOLO!

my last visit a couple days ago, i was telling my friend how seemingly every busy day i visit, the same line jump technique is used. one of the party goes forward thru the line, then not long after, the rest go to join. then boom, a girl just ducks under the que at Full Throttle and later her friends join. i told an employee as we were walking forward after the first covered portion, but of course she cared none.

btw, the gum on the ground below the walkup que to the station at Full Throttle is getting pretty big. LOL

I'm interested to see what's going to happen to the prelift sections. I've always felt that they were rather unusual in their length. I do enjoy the sight of that massive white structure coming closer and closer however.

Maybe a tunnel?

Yeah I always thought it was odd that the station was so far from the lift. I imagine prior to Colossus being retrofitted for a MCBR the lines were insane.

Not really. Didn't they used to run three trains per side originally with the block sections like on the high turns. (Just curious if this was true or not. ) heard that the mcbr was added because the new 90s trains could not use the old block sections?????

Here's some retro/vintage Colossus footage (circa 1982). It features the Colossus' 2nd generation rolling stock (3 bench PTC's). I don't know if there were six or only four trains total at the time, maybe someone else can confirm. I believe Side A ran the black trains and the red trains ran on Side B? All were outfitted with headrests, buzz bars, & skid brakes.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Colossus with (3 bench) PTC Trains - "Wild Rides" (1982)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_G1ONJets4

Good job ABC! Next time give more info then this. You make it seem like its getting torn down.

“@ABC7: THIS JUST IN: Colossus wooden roller-coaster to shut down August 16 after 36 years at Six Flags Magic Mountain”

To be fair we don't actually know that they won't tear it down. Most people assume it will be an RMC conversion, but although I'd love that they haven't actually said it. This is SFMM, they may tear Colossus down and put absolutely nothing in its place, you never know.

I bet Scream! is overjoyed. It might even see...you know...LINES when the new attraction opens!

Or perhaps a new attraction in Colossus' place will prompt them to finally paint that faded skittle looking pile of rusting purple steel.

To be fair we don't actually know that they won't tear it down. Most people assume it will be an RMC conversion, but although I'd love that they haven't actually said it. This is SFMM, they may tear Colossus down and put absolutely nothing in its place, you never know.

I bet Scream! is overjoyed. It might even see...you know...LINES when the new attraction opens!

Or perhaps a new attraction in Colossus' place will prompt them to finally paint that faded skittle looking pile of rusting purple steel.

I thought at one of the WCB in the past few years they were asked about this and kind of gave it away by the way they responded?

I think Alan Schilke's evil smirk and, "I can't comment on that." statement when asked about this at IAAPA 2 years ago was a dead giveaway. Somethings coming to the Mountain from the twisted evil genius of his mind. And I for one, can't wait!

The mountain already has one of his MOST evil creations X2!