TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Probably, I mean they promised to run it backwards so why not? I don't know the exact answer but it seems reasonable.

I have never ridden Colossus but it seemed like a fun ride. Iron Colossus will be better but Colossus seemed nice too...

^^^^. I think if done right. I would look awesome

I think you look great just the way you are. Don't you go changin' to please someone. Be happy in your own skin.

If they were to preserve one side of the track as it is, they wouldnt announce Colossus' closure would they? It would just temporarily shut down as they Iron Horse the other side. I'd say the wording of the announcement suggests nothing of the old track will remain for use.

They would still need to shut that side down for the complete refurb to transform it back to it's opening glory. Not an easy task. Besides, I doubt they could run one side while there was construction going on on the other. It wouldn't be like routine maintenence. It would still be a complete makeover.

Wondering if they will be running Colossus backwards until it's last day. Does it even make sense to turn it back around for a month just to close the ride in August? Seems like a lot of unnecessary effort.

I heard that the backwards gimmick was a Spring-only promotion. They may put it back in normal forwards operation come June 14th.

Wondering if they will be running Colossus backwards until it's last day. Does it even make sense to turn it back around for a month just to close the ride in August? Seems like a lot of unnecessary effort.

I heard that the backwards gimmick was a Spring-only promotion. They may put it back in normal forwards operation come June 14th.

This has been confirmed as correct, they are turning it around to run forwards on June 14th, so that will be the last ever day to ride it backwards (since it will be closed before Fright Fest this year)

Will it open in 2015 or 2016 do you guys think?

I will guess it's definitely a 2016 opening.

I could see a July 4th 2015 opening, that gives RMC 11 months and the winter in Cali is usually rather mild....point is, nobody knows, we will know soon enough.

I may be in the minority but I really hope Colossus' layout is changed completely. I've always felt Colossus was just big and boring, I would like to see a video of it come crashing down much like the footage of Son of Beast getting axed.

I also hope it's completely changed. i'm hoping they can still use the existing structure, with just a lot of modification. but, if it's real similar, and doesn't slow down around the turn arounds, it should be awesome. i don't care if they race it or not, it will only last so long with both sides open knowing magic mountain.

Everyone realizes that this will still be at SFMM, right?

Even if it turns out to be the most amazing ride, it's pretty much a given that operations will be terribly inconsistent and the ride will probably experience a major closure of some sort while they wait for a part to arrive...

Even if it turns out to be the most amazing ride, it's pretty much a given that operations will be terribly inconsistent and the ride will probably experience a major closure of some sort while they wait for a part to arrive...

Thanks for the positive thoughts Joey.

Also why I'm hoping they don't try to do some huge special effects...those don't have a history of lasting very long here.

^Agreed. So they are building a 400ft tall dueling, quadruple-launch, 15 inversion coaster RMC coaster that can run 15 trains? Great!

After its opening summer, it will start its decline.

And yes, all the SFMM fanboys can say whatever they please but the park's track record doesn't lie.....

I'm interested to see what's going to happen to the prelift sections. I've always felt that they were rather unusual in their length. I do enjoy the sight of that massive white structure coming closer and closer however.

Maybe a tunnel?

I'm interested to see what's going to happen to the prelift sections. I've always felt that they were rather unusual in their length. I do enjoy the sight of that massive white structure coming closer and closer however.

Maybe a tunnel?

Yeah I always thought it was odd that the station was so far from the lift. I imagine prior to Colossus being retrofitted for a MCBR the lines were insane.

Maybe a tunnel?

That's one of the rare unique things about the ride; I like those long stretches as well. Our parks are getting saturated with very same-y rides (like B&Ms) so every old "boring" coaster (including Colossus with its huge flat curves) is fun just for the fact of being different. I'm looking forward to whatever RMC does, but enjoy the "tour around" coaster while you can. I love that ride.

Magic Mountain's PR manager just sent me this official statement regarding Colossus:

Our official statement regarding Colossus is below. Thanks for spreading the word:

Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16. Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our Guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.

Magic Mountain's PR manager just sent me this official statement regarding Colossus:

Our official statement regarding Colossus is below. Thanks for spreading the word:

Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16. Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our Guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is officially the "Arguable self-proclamation park of the World"

"The king of wooden coasters"

"The Thrill Capital of the World"

The list goes on