TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think we can rule out a wing coaster or any other B&M, didn't MM say they'd never spend $20 mil on a single attraction ever again??? Plus X2 is technically a wing coaster anyway

I was basically using a wing coaster as an example of another cheap installation like Yolo-coaster. I personally believe it's gonna be the Iron-horse treatment.

Okay, lets think about this. What stupid record will MM go after with this? First wooden Coaster with three lift hills? First wooden coaster with a launch? Largest loop on a wooden coaster to match their record for the loop on YOLO? This should be good!

How about just simply "Tallest. longest, & Fastest racing hybrid coaster?"

Seems like that would be a perfect marking statement for them!

--Robb "Seems like it would be easy to beat Gemini" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ Exactly my thoughts. I'm still trying to figure out why people are skeptical about it NOT being Iron Colossus. To me, its as plain as day that this is happening. Its like the park practically spelled it out for us.

Six Flags has an "interest" in removing classic attractions, such as Log Jammer and Rolling Thunder, so Colossus being torn down is a possibility. Though, Iron Colossus is likely, it is definitely not certain.

Here's some speculation of my own: Imagine the park building a new front entrance over that way. It's centrally located in the parking lot and there would be more then enough room for a massive renovation to build a whole new front entrance. Then, they take out the old front entrance to the park which is located way out of the way now, take down the old structures, and build a new major roller coaster over there, by the YOLOcoaster plaza. A serious park restructuring for the better, a larger water park, and a new roller coaster. That would be exciting to me.

I love this idea. But of course they'd never do it. Especially if they could make the two sides of Colossus different so they could call them 2 different coasters and hit 20.

(It would totally be a great opportunity, though, to do something about the parking lot under Scream.)

If everyone for the past year had been saying "They're going to give the iron horse treatment to Colossus in 2015/16!" and then 2015 comes along and they start clearing land behind Riddler's Revenge, it would be obvious we were wrong. Oh what do you know, they are closing Colossus! Drops mic. Walks off stage.

Okay, lets think about this. What stupid record will MM go after with this? First wooden Coaster with three lift hills? First wooden coaster with a launch? Largest loop on a wooden coaster to match their record for the loop on YOLO? This should be good!

Seems like that would be a perfect marking statement for them!

--Robb "Seems like it would be easy to beat Gemini" Alvey

As a marketing major, i absolutely find such tag lines and gimmicks to be lazy, especially in a world where the top brands are marketed based on their value, obviously MM still seems to think records are what brings booties into their parks. At the end of the day, though, everyone and their mom knows collosus. It doesnt have to break any records, it just has to be fucking good. The PR machine will do most of the work for SFMM

hehehe yes! And best!

Six Flags has an "interest" in removing classic attractions

Guess that depends on where you go. Great America has kept Whizzer (and it runs like new), Logger's Run, Yankee Clipper, etc. East River Crawler (formerly Lobster) re-opened last year after over a year in rehab (and just had it's 2nd "airtime" motor restored this year; it too is running like new!). I know the original SF parks ADORE their classic Schwarzkopfs (Mind Bender and Shock Wave).

Magic Mountain is run a bit different, I know. Didn't the park president say Colossus was "off limits" in regards to removal a few years ago? I also remember something about the park wanting to RMC re-do the ride, but leave it's classic look alone. Even if the whole thing had topper track put on with new trains (and that double dip!), it could be a great ride. Then of course there is that POV that was posted then removed from youtube a few weeks ago showing "Iron Colossus." I didn't see it, but I know a few did!

I think the park will eventually get to fixing Revolution as well. It could be a smart business move if done right.

I'd like to point out that both SFOT and SFFT marketed the closure of Texas Giant and Rattler, respectively, in a similar manner to what was done here:

Conversely, rides like Rolling Thunder didn't even get a proper advertisement of their closure in-park, which leads me to believe that they'll be taking the I-Box route with this one.

Another racing woodie down the wood chipper; at least american eagle is safe with Goliath fitting the hybrid spot.

For now. Hopefully it too would see a RMC redo - it has the potential to be amazing.

Eh...I really don't want to see Eagle touched with anything except maybe topper track on the last helix. I'm going to sound like I'm lobbying for some sort of anti-change movement, but I think that Eagle's occasional roughness is what makes the ride what it is. The "one side classic, one side I-box" rumours really have me thinking as to what kind of possibilities could be reached, though.

Maybe they'll give Goliath an I-Box treatment in 30 years.

Here's some speculation of my own: Imagine the park building a new front entrance over that way. It's centrally located in the parking lot and there would be more then enough room for a massive renovation to build a whole new front entrance. Then, they take out the old front entrance to the park which is located way out of the way now, take down the old structures, and build a new major roller coaster over there, by the YOLOcoaster plaza. A serious park restructuring for the better, a larger water park, and a new roller coaster. That would be exciting to me.

I love this idea. But of course they'd never do it. Especially if they could make the two sides of Colossus different so they could call them 2 different coasters and hit 20.

(It would totally be a great opportunity, though, to do something about the parking lot under Scream.)

Different? They could make the rides the same layout and call it 2 coasters. This is SFMM after all. (Old Colossus would never count as 2 coasters because it never runs 2 sides.) YOLO SWAG SFMM!

hehehe yes! And best!

Guess that depends on where you go. Great America has kept Whizzer (and it runs like new), Logger's Run, Yankee Clipper, etc. East River Crawler (formerly Lobster) re-opened last year after over a year in rehab (and just had it's 2nd "airtime" motor restored this year; it too is running like new!). I know the original SF parks ADORE their classic Schwarzkopfs (Mind Bender and Shock Wave).

Magic Mountain is run a bit different, I know. Didn't the park president say Colossus was "off limits" in regards to removal a few years ago? I also remember something about the park wanting to RMC re-do the ride, but leave it's classic look alone. Even if the whole thing had topper track put on with new trains (and that double dip!), it could be a great ride. Then of course there is that POV that was posted then removed from youtube a few weeks ago showing "Iron Colossus." I didn't see it, but I know a few did!

I think the park will eventually get to fixing Revolution as well. It could be a smart business move if done right.

SFGAm seems to be an exception. If you look at SFMM in the last ten years, they removed Log Jammer, Metro, Freefall, Sierra Twist, Spin Out, and many other classic attractions while many other classic rides, such as Jet Stream and Revolution, don't seem to receive much care. I don't want to slam SFMM for doing this, I just want to point out that they aren't putting much of an effort into keeping classic rides.

hehehe yes! And best!

SFGAm seems to be an exception. If you look at SFMM in the last ten years, they removed Log Jammer, Metro, Freefall, Sierra Twist, Spin Out, and many other classic attractions while many other classic rides, such as Jet Stream and Revolution, don't seem to receive much care. I don't want to slam SFMM for doing this, I just want to point out that they aren't putting much of an effort into keeping classic rides.

To be fair, though, SFMM's business model is different from the others in the chain: although they are not SF's official "flagship park," if you'll pardon the unintended pun, they put the most investment into new coasters because they know that their clientele want them. If the removal of classic attractions is what it takes, they'll do it.

I still stand by this statement.

I'm still loving the Idea of having them retracking one side with Topper and restoring it to it's original footprint. Before all the alterations that removed the decent amount of airtime it used to provide. Circa 1978. Call it Colossus Classic. That way it could still be considered a wood coaster.

Now take the second track and put the Iron Horse treatment to it. Add 30-40 feet to the first drop, keep the triple up and double down, throw in a couple of fancy schmancy airtime hills, maybe a few overbanks, a dive loop, a 0G stall, and a couple of barrel rolls just before the brake run for good measure. Call it Colossus 2.0, or Iron Colossus, I-Coli, I-Cali, I-Carly, I-don't give a fu@k! Whatever!

You still keep your coaster count, and you get two great rides. One that will draw an all new XTREME contingent to that otherwise dead area of the park, add to their ever famous inversion count, and thrill the always hungry, "I want something new" pack. On top of that, you also pacify the Colossus die hards that had the opportunity to ride it in it's heyday. (I count myself in that pack.) And trust me when I say, it was good!

Guy, the idea sounds appealing in theory but I think that rids the opportunity for both sides to properly race each other, and makes it two individual experiences as opposed to a collective one. I mean, think about it-- a dueling RMC coaster? There is so much potential embedded in that idea. I can't even imagine what they have up their sleeves. I can easily see the high-five on steroids happening.

^^That will definitely not disappoint, and I would not complain if it happened. But as a lover of the original un-neutered Colossus, my heart stands with one vintage, one extreme. They can still race them, and they can fabricate the new track to create some dueling elements. Problem solved.