TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

When we went to the full throttle midnight event last year I asked the gentleman next to Bonnie (who seemed to be a pretty higher up maybe right below her) if for the following year they'd consider redoing revolutions trains by removing the otsr especially now they have the world's tallest loop with just a Lap bar. He said they were added due to too many riders trying to stand up. I think that could easily be stopped by adding lap bars with shin guards but Idk if the company thats now making those coaster trains would do that.

^I'm sorry for asking, but I don't really know why they were added in the first place or when.

I believe 91 (The same year they took away Colossus's double dip for a Braking system) and I would guess to lower insurance costs or OSHA wanted OTSR's or something.

Do not remember them when I used to go back in the early 90's. So I'm guessing after 92

When we went to the YOLOcoaster midnight event last year I asked the gentleman next to Bonnie (who seemed to be a pretty higher up maybe right below her) if for the following year they'd consider redoing revolutions trains by removing the otsr especially now they have the world's tallest loop with just a Lap bar. He said they were added due to too many riders trying to stand up. I think that could easily be stopped by adding lap bars with shin guards but Idk if the company thats now making those coaster trains would do that.
Schwarzkopf Lap bars already have Shin/Foot bars

For the 8,000,000th time: OSHA has never mandated OTSR's on Revolution.

That's because I did it! I did it, and I'm glad I did it! Do you hear me? Glad! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Colossus was fun because I was in the front, but the ejector with those tiny Morgan lapbars was SOOO painful! Put mini B&M clamshells on it and it could be one of the best woodies out there. The texture was smooth, the restraints were painful. Kind of sad, really, as I probably would have found it to be one of my favorite wooden coasters with wider lap bars, even PTC ones.

I'm curious, I'm assuming you rode Colossus Backwards? If so, you may not have known that those trains were actually built by B&M, and are the only wooden coaster trains the company ever made.

I was at the Mountain again today. Waiting in line to get in, I spoke with Neil Thurman about the new finger scan entry system. I asked why the hand held scanners that worked so well last season needed to be replaced. He said it speeds up processing of the season passes. To quote him, it took sometimes 3 hours to process season passes. Now it's done at the entry gate. I thought to myself now it inconveniences everyone getting through the gate, not just the season pass people. He also said that's why they open early - because of the delay. Once you get in, there is a special line for gold pass members. The GP is held until 10:30.

I got on the second train of the day on YOLO. That early in the morning the mechanics were still working on train #2 with water dummies still in the seats. I left after 6pm and train #2 was in the same position. Needless to say the line was unreal. Goliath was running 2 trains only so long lines there too.

I was there this past Thursday and had a great time. It was my first time at the park and I really wish I can go back again someday. I will post a photo TR later this week, but until then, I have some notes on my visit.

X2 is now one of my favorite coasters anywhere. I wanted to get a ride early in the day, and I ended up waiting about 45 minutes. I returned a half hour before closing and was able to get three straight rides. The rotating seats was extremely disorienting and I didn't find the ride overly bumpy.

Full Throttle was excellent. While the one train line made the wait almost an hour, the ride delivered by combining great air-time and powerful launches.

Tatsu really showed what a B&M flyer can do. I love the Superman clones, so I was excited for Tatsu and it didn't let me down. The ride is extremely forceful and feels much higher than it actually is thanks to its location on the mountain.

Riddler's Revenge was a disappointment. They were only running one train and when combined with painstaking slow loading, the line was easily an hour. The ride itself was awful. I didn't enjoy the other two B&M stand-ups I've been on (Apocalypse and Green Lantern) and was hoping this one would be different. There was a ton of headbanging throughout the course and I found the ride too uncomfortable to be enjoyable.

Lex Luthor was amazing. I haven't been that scared for a ride in quite some time. The drop is very suspenseful and it delivers. There is some decent floater air at the start of the descent and then the remainder of the plunge is a major rush.

Goliath and Apocalypse were two very fun coasters. I ran into a TPR member on Goliath. Both coasters were relentless from start to finish and very underrated in my opinion.

My lone complaint with the park were the number of breakdowns. I got on every major coaster except Batman, as Batman kept breaking down. The first time I tried to ride, the train got stuck on the lift hill. When I returned later in the day, the ride broke down while I was in line. Lex Luthor and Riddler's Revenge were also closed at points during my visit.

I was there this past Thursday and had a great time. It was my first time at the park and I really wish I can go back again someday. I will post a photo TR later this week, but until then, I have some notes on my visit.

X2 is now one of my favorite coasters anywhere. I wanted to get a ride early in the day, and I ended up waiting about 45 minutes. I returned a half hour before closing and was able to get three straight rides. The rotating seats was extremely disorienting and I didn't find the ride overly bumpy.

YOLOcoaster was excellent. While the one train line made the wait almost an hour, the ride delivered by combining great air-time and powerful launches.

Tatsu really showed what a B&M flyer can do. I love the Superman clones, so I was excited for Tatsu and it didn't let me down. The ride is extremely forceful and feels much higher than it actually is thanks to its location on the mountain.

Riddler's Revenge was a disappointment. They were only running one train and when combined with painstaking slow loading, the line was easily an hour. The ride itself was awful. I didn't enjoy the other two B&M stand-ups I've been on (Apocalypse and Green Lantern) and was hoping this one would be different. There was a ton of headbanging throughout the course and I found the ride too uncomfortable to be enjoyable.

Lex Luthor was amazing. I haven't been that scared for a ride in quite some time. The drop is very suspenseful and it delivers. There is some decent floater air at the start of the descent and then the remainder of the plunge is a major rush.

Goliath and Apocalypse were two very fun coasters. I ran into a TPR member on Goliath. Both coasters were relentless from start to finish and very underrated in my opinion.

My lone complaint with the park were the number of breakdowns. I got on every major coaster except Batman, as Batman kept breaking down. The first time I tried to ride, the train got stuck on the lift hill. When I returned later in the day, the ride broke down while I was in line. Lex Luthor and Riddler's Revenge were also closed at points during my visit.

Glad u had fun!! Apocalypse is very underrated IMO, true there isn't much airtime but the laterals more than make up for it

I was at the Mountain again today. Waiting in line to get in, I spoke with Neil Thurman about the new finger scan entry system. I asked why the hand held scanners that worked so well last season needed to be replaced. He said it speeds up processing of the season passes. To quote him, it took sometimes 3 hours to process season passes. Now it's done at the entry gate. I thought to myself now it inconveniences everyone getting through the gate, not just the season pass people. He also said that's why they open early - because of the delay. Once you get in, there is a special line for gold pass members. The GP is held until 10:30.

I got on the second train of the day on YOLO. That early in the morning the mechanics were still working on train #2 with water dummies still in the seats. I left after 6pm and train #2 was in the same position. Needless to say the line was unreal. Goliath was running 2 trains only so long lines there too.

So basically they just shifted the problem from the season pass processing center (probably to save labor) to the front gate. Last time I went to the park, there was only 4 people in front of me and it took 10 minutes to get in. Scanners wouldn't read smaller children's fingers, and it took multiple tries for everyone else.

At this point, I actually think it would be hilarious to have the ride "restored" and still be awful...

Maybe I'm just jaded because I never got to experience "original" revolution, and have also been fortunate enough to have been on so many other great rides around the world...but I really don't care if Revolution gets restored or not.

I never got to ride it without the OTSRs either, but I cant help but think it has to be much better. I'm not expecting the most fun or thrilling ride but for example I enjoy gold rusher due to the terrain and surroundings even though it's not a "crazy" coaster, I think I would similarly enjoy Revolution if I wasn't constantly trying to avoid a concussion.

My expectations of Six Flags investing money in existing infrastructure like "make Revolution not actively terrible" are next to none and so it never really enters my mind as an option. I'd love to see it because I guess I am a dumb mark who actually enjoys riding roller coasters as a hobby. Crazy me, right?