TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ Huh? I rode X2 last Saturday (May 10th) - they were only running one train, but the audio on that train was working great!

He's reporting they took the audio off the freshly rehabbed train.

I'm just speculating but maybe they're waiting for new speakers to arrive?

Well, given SFMM's history of having to wait a long time for a part to arrive for X2, that is entirely possible....

But since it's SFMM, I'm guessing it was intentional because they couldn't maintain it.

So I thought I would post a quick review with some info that I was not able to find before we went, that may help out others.

So my wife and I went on Saturday the 17th, it was pretty warm, but my understanding is that it had cooled down a lot over the previous days (we landed in LA late on the 16th, so I am not sure how hot it got, but I think the news said average temps were 75ish and it cracked 100).

We are going another trip that will see us visit 2 moresix flags so we bought the gold season pass. I had been trying to find out before we went if we could use the early entry before we had officially registered. From what I foud it seemed like best idea was to get there early and go to the processing centre and be good to go.

However we left a bit a late and by the time we got through the metal detectors it was 10:10 and the line at the processing centre was really long. I had read something about if you had signed up online you oculd go in through the exit, so i asked a staffmember who was moving the bars that made the line. He said hold on and went in to check. When he came back he said if you have paid online and put all your info in they would process you at the gate.

This didnt seem right to me as I had not read that anywhere and all the vouchers I printed said to go to the processing centre. In any event we decided to just try it so we got in the gold line, which opened right at 10:20 and we got to front by about 10:24. Sure enought they processed us at the gate, gave us cards which we wrote our names on got our finger prints. Took about 1 min per person and we were in! Super easy to do, I just wish they told people you could do it. We saw tons of people in line at the processing centre that had obviously bought tickets online and they all probably missed the early entry.

So we went right to YOLO and rode it 3 times. Only 1 car working, but it was really fun, we didnt see it go, we just walked up and got on, so the first exceleration surprised me, was faster than I thought, though still no where close to Top Thrill Dragster (my standard for fast exceleration).

We then went over to X2 to see if we could get a ride but it was down. So we went and grabbed our Platinum Pass and started around the park.

Highlights/Lowlights for me:

Seems like they are holding people back a lot more than I remember from our last trip 3 years ago. This is awesome for flash pass. I remember for superman getting into the FP entrance and still having a massive line. This time we would go through and there was only a one train wait. We did 4 rides in about 25 min, was great.

Green Lantern was a lot more fun than I remember. We went when it has first opened last time, so I think we only rode twice. We got 4 rides in this time and once had a ride with two huge guys on the other side and flipped a lot.

We were really dissapointed by the ride twice thing on the platinum pass. The ride operators do nothing and we had to explain to the other guests that we were riding twice, whoch let to a few arguments until someone finally cam over and let the other guests know about the ride twice. I am planning to send them feedback that I will never pay for platinum again until they sort this out. We always told the operators before our first ride we would be riding twice and I would appriciate it if they actually explained it to other guest. Just made for some uncomfortable moments.

X2 was finally back up later in the day and we went and got in line at about 4:45, I think the line was about 25 min, but what a gong show that place is! So poorly run. The operator guarding the door to the lockrs was not letting enough people in, and people where taking forever putting there stuff away, so the train that left as we went in had 4 empty seats and the one we got on had 6! And there was a big long line outside. Absolutely terrible. I get they make extra money off the lockrs, but I now think they are doing whatever they can to make the line stay so they can sell rides to Flash pass people. Was really annoying to see so many empty seats go out. But I forgot just how much I love x2! Only got the one ride as we had to go around 5:30 to catch the Billy Joel concert at the hollywood bowl.

All in all we had a good day, loved that we were able to get our gold pass at the gate, but they really need to do something about the ride twice and X2 loading.

We were really dissapointed by the ride twice thing on the platinum pass. The ride operators do nothing and we had to explain to the other guests that we were riding twice, whoch let to a few arguments until someone finally cam over and let the other guests know about the ride twice. I am planning to send them feedback that I will never pay for platinum again until they sort this out. We always told the operators before our first ride we would be riding twice and I would appriciate it if they actually explained it to other guest. Just made for some uncomfortable moments.
Yeah you're right, this is a MM fail. Up north at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom whenever this happens the ride operator will get on the PA and say "To our guests in line we apologize that we have priority riders that may already be in your row, if someone is in your row please do not sit on them, you can board the next train." or something similar. They do the same for guests with exit passes. MM should really be doing the same.

X2 was finally back up later in the day and we went and got in line at about 4:45, I think the line was about 25 min, but what a gong show that place is! So poorly run. The operator guarding the door to the lockrs was not letting enough people in, and people where taking forever putting there stuff away, so the train that left as we went in had 4 empty seats and the one we got on had 6! And there was a big long line outside. Absolutely terrible. I get they make extra money off the lockrs, but I now think they are doing whatever they can to make the line stay so they can sell rides to Flash pass people. Was really annoying to see so many empty seats go out. But I forgot just how much I love x2!
Actually, usually X2 has the best most efficient ride ops which is one of the reasons why the line dies down in the evening. Lately I've been hearing how terrible X2 ops are and how quick YOLOCoaster ops have been. I think they've recently switched their best ride ops from X2 to YOLOCoaster, perhaps due to the 1 train rehab. Riddler also used to be terrible for the longest time, then got good for a while and recently I've been hearing horror stories again. Historically X2 and Goliath usually have the best ops most of the time, it's unusual for X2 to be running that badly, but I've been hearing the same thing from everyone lately so whoever is currently assigned to it is doing a terrible job.

Yeah you're right, this is a MM fail. Up north at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom whenever this happens the ride operator will get on the PA and say "To our guests in line we apologize that we have priority riders that may already be in your row, if someone is in your row please do not sit on them, you can board the next train." or something similar. They do the same for guests with exit passes. MM should really be doing the same.

I've seen people on here mention similar experiences. I plan to be there on a Friday in late June so I am also planning on purchasing Platinum Flash Passes. Anybody else have any advice or issues with the Platinum pass?

X2 was finally back up later in the day and we went and got in line at about 4:45, I think the line was about 25 min, but what a gong show that place is! So poorly run. The operator guarding the door to the lockrs was not letting enough people in, and people where taking forever putting there stuff away, so the train that left as we went in had 4 empty seats and the one we got on had 6! And there was a big long line outside. Absolutely terrible. I get they make extra money off the lockrs, but I now think they are doing whatever they can to make the line stay so they can sell rides to Flash pass people. Was really annoying to see so many empty seats go out. But I forgot just how much I love x2!
Actually, usually X2 has the best most efficient ride ops which is one of the reasons why the line dies down in the evening. Lately I've been hearing how terrible X2 ops are and how quick YOLOCoaster ops have been. I think they've recently switched their best ride ops from X2 to YOLOCoaster, perhaps due to the 1 train rehab. Riddler also used to be terrible for the longest time, then got good for a while and recently I've been hearing horror stories again. Historically X2 and Goliath usually have the best ops most of the time, it's unusual for X2 to be running that badly, but I've been hearing the same thing from everyone lately so whoever is currently assigned to it is doing a terrible job.

Thats interesting to hear, I really hope they change this before we go back in September as I would like to get a few rides in. We were at Cedar Point last year and boy do they blow six flags out of the water for efficiency! Six Flags needs to go poach a few people from Cedar Fair to help them figure out how to get their people operating quicker.

Oh and one other tip I dont think I have seen on here is when you get in Flash Pass line, if there are people waiting at the gate/merge point, ask them right away if they are waiting. We had mutiple times where we got to the merge and people where standing blocking the way. At first I assumed they were waiting for the attendant, but soon realized they had regular flash passes and were just sitting there waiting for their time. Npothing wrong with that, but these people never seem to tell the other people that come up. On goliath we wait about 5 min, and where actually chatting with the people blocking when I finally said what is the hold up and they were like oh, we are just waiting, did you want to go? Ahhh some people.

^ Further proof that Six Flags should never bother with onboard audio. It's just a mashup of random audio clips from pop songs and movies that makes no sense at all.

^ Further proof that Six Flags should never bother with onboard audio. It's just a mashup of random audio clips from pop songs and movies that makes no sense at all.

I'm sorry you expected some sort of story. I think the audio makes the ride a lot more fun. Hopefully they can get it up and running again soon, I understand that they have someone full-time who works on the audio.

I'm sorry you expected some sort of story. I think the audio makes the ride a lot more fun. Hopefully they can get it up and running again soon, I understand that they have someone full-time who works on the audio.

The ride is amazing with the audio, really enhances the experience. That being said, the last time I rode X2 the speakers were cracking and cutting in a out, very weird.

At the least, it really is cool to have on the lift hill. I still don't see why Magic Mountain (and Great Adventure) don't just line the lift with speakers - significantly cheaper, and guests still get the music to entertain them (or the movie quote mash-up). Seems like a win-win for your typical, cheap Six Flags.

I was at the park today and Bonzai Pipeline had water running. I was also able to get a ride in on X2, Revolution, Tatsu, Goliath and Lex Luther (Thanks single rider line!) before my 5:00 class. It was amazing what I could do in three hours.

do they test water slides with water dummies?

I was at the park today and Bonzai Pipeline had water running. I was also able to get a ride in on X2, Revolution, Tatsu, Goliath and Lex Luther (Thanks single rider line!) before my 5:00 class. It was amazing what I could do in three hours.

I did in RCT3

I did in RCT3

Ha! I was going to reply the same.

Actually, they were testing some dummies on the slide. I saw them pull out the people out of lines that were making statements like "Goliath needs more flips" and "Viper is the tallest coaster in da world" and used them to test the ride.

Here's the TR from my day spent here on my West Coast trip a few weeks ago! I went with my cousin Brittany, her husband Paul, and their roommate Brett who live in Vegas. I was visiting them for the week and we decided to spend two days in LA since my cousin and her husband used to live there.

10251992_837010112994684_5543935909838614474_n.jpg?oh=2f36b0d1324aee76c8c5098ce14cb6a3&oe=53C677DF

First stop on our 4-hour journey to LA was Dunkin' Donuts. Nabbed a selfie here because I'm from Dayton and Dayton don't run on Dunkin'.

10308199_837010102994685_524679565186085720_n.jpg

The desert landscape is cool for the first two hours and then just gets boring.

10245281_837010186328010_8429126377610671341_n.jpg

Road trip!

10274341_837010312994664_4142803933503903238_n.jpg

Desperado was closed when we drove past it.

10264722_837010619661300_3545039207162134895_n.jpg

I need to know the origin of this street name...

984079_837010752994620_1958538430203358451_n.jpg

And we're here!

10258024_837010646327964_760807621454845748_n.jpg?oh=3b142333a7b4c9942e1db4f8fec9bc91&oe=53CA5A99&__gda__=1405694576_f73140e797f2dad6fb97ecd1cbdd39be

Hello, thrill capital of the world!

10176223_837010979661264_504420944513039657_n.jpg

First ride of the day was YOLOcoaster. There was some dispute over ride lineup because my cousin refused to knock out all of the big rides first in fear that it would make the rest of them look lame. It was weird because I thought they would operate like enthusiasts when visiting a park and they didn't, but I just went with it. I did want to do YOLO first, though, as it was right at the front and seemed like a good warmup ride. I told Brittany it wasn't generally regarded as a flagship ride so we decided to do it first, expecting just a nice, fun warmup ride. It TOTALLY blew my expectations away! The launch is relatively strong, the hangtime at the top of that gargantuan loop is terrifying, the turn is somewhat intense, the dive loop is awesome, and the tunnel is cool-looking. But it's the second half of the ride that makes it. It shoots you backwards, you come out of your seat suspended on the dive loop, and roll back through only to be launched into the loop, get some airtime, fall back to your seat, only to be pulled back out at a pretty steep angle before the brakes. This ride is awesome! I had my hands up the whole time bar the inside of the loop screaming in amusement. Personally I find it to be really underrated, this is a top-notch coaster in my book.

10155289_837010906327938_1348071672433381200_n.jpg

Orient Express was next to get to Tatsu and Ninja. It seemed pretty dated but it saved us a backbreaking walk up the mountain. If they could renovate it and maybe add some air conditioning it would make it much better. But still, being spared that walk is being spared that walk and I'd have been fine even if it was just an escalator.

10300803_837011036327925_5050427488420216703_n.jpg

Next was Ninja, which is now my favorite Arrow Suspended. It rode like The Bat and Iron Dragon had a baby, soaring at high speeds through intense turns and transitions through the trees. Love all the snap in this one!

10308098_837011406327888_6476171816357888697_n.jpg

After Ninja was, as the ride op called it, Tat-SOOOOO!!! I'm still a tad scared of being held at vertical angles so I was nervous, but I was still excited.

10254025_837011419661220_4101753356650737207_n.jpg

What a fun ride! I liked Full Throttle better but this was fun soaring around the mountain, and that pretzel loop! I liked it a lot and it's now my favorite flying coaster by a long shot, but I felt like it was going a tad slow most of the time, bar the pretzel loop. I did like the terrain interaction and the minimal theming found around it.

1911680_837011616327867_5316308481346486099_n.jpg

It's photogenic, too...

10247283_837011832994512_4783330878223949447_n.jpg

Goliath was next. Like the rest of the dead park, everything, including Goliath was a walk-on, but I put a mile or two on my feet just walking through the queue. I did like the queue, though. The jungle foliage and themed walkways into the station were quite nice, even though it felt like it would never end. The ride was worth it, though. I rode in the back and the end was so intense, I thought I would grey out. I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of airtime I got but I feel like it's supposed to be more intensity focused than airtime focused. Nice, solid coaster, I really liked it.

10309204_837011739661188_6164104514675255094_n.jpg

DC Comics Universe was next. I went to Green Lantern only for the stabilizing mechanism to break while I was in line, so I decided to get out of line until they fixed it. After that, I went to Batman to brave it backwards. Got one ride in in the back and I have to admit, it was awesome. Such an intense coaster, and even though I've recreated it in RCT3 and somewhat knew the layout, I still had no idea what was coming! My legs were tingling a bit going around some of the turns around the far end.

10247496_837011649661197_8508360451862161286_n.jpg

I went back to Green Lantern and found that it was back in action, so I took my first spin on a Zacspin. All I can say, WOW!!!!! This is such an intense coaster! I only flipped once on it but falling face-first and then being yanked back up into your restraint was absolutely nuts and I hit the brakes out of breath. These Zacspins pack quite a punch and had I had more time, I would have liked to see how different the ride can become.

10302025_837011776327851_8708576479774640103_n.jpg

Colossus and Scream were next. Colossus was fun because I was in the front, but the ejector with those tiny Morgan lapbars was SOOO painful! Put mini B&M clamshells on it and it could be one of the best woodies out there. The texture was smooth, the restraints were painful. Kind of sad, really, as I probably would have found it to be one of my favorite wooden coasters with wider lap bars, even PTC ones. After that I met my cousin and we did Scream, and personally, I was disappointed. It's by far the ugliest coaster ever built, and it was full of headbanging. If Dominator is anything like it I'm almost glad I was spited on it.

1010719_837011782994517_6780122684712939510_n.jpg

Speaking of spited, S:EFK was down. I heard them run it a few times that day but it didn't ever fully open. Missed credit #2

1234433_837011899661172_4073538822285880083_n.jpg

On the subject of spites, Revolution was down too... #3

10330470_837031062992589_1424644159296079977_n.jpg

But X2 was not only open, but a walk-on! This has to be one of the most insane things I've ridden. That thing is so psychological, and that drop holding you face-first with just that vest is horrifying! Those restraints feel like you could just slip out the bottom and even though I knew I wasn't going to, it didn't exactly take away from the shear terror that is X2! I would have to say my favorite part was the half zero-g roll, but I loved all of it! That was the first time I've been genuinely scared on a roller coaster in a while! Best ride there and my new fifth favorite overall! However, I had two complaints about it. First, the rack and pinion assembly felt a tad loose for the job it was supposed to do and it was bucking by about three degrees whenever it was doing a major flip. Second, I know it was an expensive ride as is but I felt it was short. But all in all, great ride! If they could maybe make a third? generation of the 4D coaster and give more spread out layouts like B&M's wing coasters (something more similar to S&S's new launchers like Extreme Rusher) and while I don't know much about the rack and pinion assembly but here assuming it's just a simple rack and pinion, maybe adding a new pitch/yaw mechanism that could be a bit tighter (rattling between the runner and upstop wheels on the flipping rails was another theory I had for what could cause the bucking) using a spring to pull the rack back could make them a bit smoother. I really like this 4D coaster and I'd like to ride Eejanaika and Dinoconda but I feel like a few improvements could turn these good rides into great rides. Just my opinion, though.

10259825_10201080614617125_7886666102782354819_n.jpg

Next was Viper. I personally found it to be the best Arrow megalooper made (much better than Vortex) but my cousin had other opinions. She was so small she kept getting jostled around in the seat...and her facial expression is awesome!

10330457_837012296327799_4914265113430376598_n.jpg

Apocalypse was next, and while it wasn't better than Thunderhead, I still really liked it. It just lacked the insane and unpredictable element Thunderhead had. I did like the queue theming, though. I'd like to see Six Flags theme more of their coasters like that, a direction they seem to be moving in. We hit Gold Rusher afterwards and while I liked just how terrainy it was compared to other Arrow mine trains, I'd still rank Adventure Express above it. It is my second favorite mine train, though, and I like how it's painted a color that isn't brown.

10356262_837012366327792_4628450825066389607_n.jpg

My final credit of the day (97) was Riddler's Revenge. They were running just one train and there was actually a bit of a line and I wasn't walking on it like I was the rest of the rides.

10294360_837012369661125_6220232841215068080_n.jpg?oh=ed8908b06ca32494d33150b97ec0d9a2&oe=53C93619

For what it was, I loved it! I don't typically like how standups suck all the blood to your feet and hurt your ankles, but this was pretty fun! I think I've mastered the art of riding a standup without pain, too! Maybe B&M could start making these again with the new floaty style they seem to have for GateKeeper and Oziris, because I might not mind a floaty standup.

10295720_837012396327789_5124112588344039259_n.jpg

We went to check on S:EFK only to find them operating it on and off as it kept breaking down at various times. There was no way we were getting on it, but hey, it provides a good viewing point for Full Throttle!

10305600_837010432994652_8166181229260432314_n.jpg

Such a great view...

10157260_837010592994636_1462187982016203900_n.jpg

Final ride of the day was YOLO! #stationselfie

10268413_837010649661297_5239301677201943670_n.jpg

Hangtime!

10169456_837010962994599_5032464544686717586_n.jpg

Whoosh!

1549441_837011352994560_909205048118333170_n.jpg

We all agreed that this plaza was a little too much. Loud dubstep and lights and a jumbotron that shows...people doing dangerous sports? Full Throttle is a FUN ride, danger and insanity is X2's thing. And even X2 wasn't loud and obnoxious with the way it was branded! This just screamed, "Hey, give THIS ride attention!"If they had gone more in the "the ride of your life" direction than the "YOLO" "SENSORY OVERLOAD" "LIFE LIFE FULL THROTTLE" direction they took, I feel like everybody, me included, might take it a bit more seriously.

10178068_837011509661211_4469650757801532954_n.jpg

Gift shopping at Six Flags!

10259862_837011639661198_8568605263383906793_n.jpg

It was a good day. I love this park, it looks nice and has an awesome ride lineup. However, I had trouble enjoying it because A. I had a few issues with operations, B. I noticed that a lot of the clientele wasn't very...mature, to put things in respectful terms. Definitely the crowd you would expect to be purchasing "COME AT ME BRO" t-shirts. And finally, C. the food was OUTRAGEOUSLY priced, I was starving and I would ordinarily have paid park food price for something at YOLO Sports Bar, but when I saw the menu I walked right out of there. I get that part of crappy theme park food is that it's expensive, but that was a little less expensive than this nice upscale restaurant we have in Dayton that serves ostrich steak...for crappy theme park food. I couldn't do that to my wallet, I'm sorry.

10303168_837011656327863_8040775135350414786_n.jpg

After the park we did the LA thing and got IN-N-Out Burger. It was my first time having it and I thought it was just okay. Nothing bad but nothing amazing, I'm still a Smashburger guy.

10313948_837011756327853_1487998046365861509_n.jpg

But with my level of hunger, I'd have taken anything! All I had to eat that day was a decent-sized breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts and $15 pizza and a drink from SFMM.

10252166_837011749661187_3102219619733112878_n.jpg

Good night, Six Flags!

10259974_837011812994514_6696806119875067436_n.jpg

And I really liked our hotel for some reason...

Great Report! I'm glad you had a good time. I like Magic Mountain, probably because I go there very infrequently and always spend the day running around trying to ride everything and not stopping to notice the general crapiness of the place that's always brought up here.

As of this morning, Revolution is back up and running!

And no unfortunately they did not remove the OTSRs

I can also add that it was running last night for SFMM's Gradnite. I took two rides on it, front and back, seemed a little bit smoother than I remembered but is still completely ruined by the OTSR's and the extreme trimming.