TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am hoping some MM regulars can help me out with a few questions.

My wife and I usually got to once MM every couple of years, however this year we will be going to LA twice and have decided to hit MM twice. I was looking online and saw that they are selling Gold Passes for $130 per person. So 2 people would be $260 and from what I can see that includes parking. If we went twice this year we would pay $47.99 x2 (we are going this weekend, so cant get the cheaper advanced) plus $42.99 x 2 plus parking $20 x2, so about $222. Cost wise it would be an extra $38 total, but what caught my eye was the early entrance. I have not found a ton of information on the early entrance other than it looks like it is 10 min early (which would help us get to X2 first). However someone mentioned on this thread that the early entrance was not working well.

Can anyone comment? Is it worth the 38 for the early entrance twice? Can you use it right away if you buy online? The other issue I have read about it actually getting the pass can take a long time, any suggestions? We will be buying FP, but still want to maximize our time. Thanks in Advance. Of and if days matter we are going this saturday and then the Labour Day long weekend.

You are going to be there on very hot and very busy days, so prepare for that. You should definitely get a flash pass for the labor day weekend visit at least. I went on that day last year and it was very very hot and very busy. For this Saturday look into the sports bottle with free refills on day of purchase, very good on those really hot days. For me it usually feels at least 10 degrees hotter in the park than what the weather says, perhaps because of the heat radiating off of the pavement.

The early entry is sometimes a cluster you know what, but if you're visiting from out of town I definitely still recommend getting the gold pass for that because you should almost always at least be able to get in one ride before the gates open, and I hear both YOLOCoaster and X2 are running one train right now, so you can cross one of the two off immediately without a wait. (I recommend doing X2 first on the early entry because lately the Ride Ops on YOLOCoaster have been uncharacteristically fast and the line has been moving pretty briskly even if it looks long) You also get discounts on food and in the gift shops if you show your pass.

Regarding pass processing, if you have a Six Flags park near you don't forget you can always purchase the pass at your local park, get it processed there, and then take it to SFMM when you visit. (You could also do it the night before or something if you're going to be arriving the day before you go to the park or something.) The processing at Magic Mountain has been kind of crazy lately due to the new installation of the biometric scanners. There's a combination of the scanners not working right, employees not really knowing how to use them, and guests not really knowing how to use them. They're brand new so its a huge learning curve and getting in the park in the morning has been slower than usual lately, which is why the gold line has been getting in so late. If you get to the front gates early enough (~45 before gates open) to get at the front of the line you should have no problem getting in at least a few minutes before the mad rush. Normally it's supposed to be 10 minutes, but sometimes it can be 5 or less.

Quick Mini-TR from today (no pictures, just updates):

-Park was dead today. With the exception of a couple coasters noted below, everything was a 10 minute wait or less with most rides being walk-ons. I didn't arrive until 11:30 and still had plenty of time to do everything before closing even at a leisurely pace.

-It was HOT today. 100+ degrees. Six Flags Magic Mountain is, in my opinion, the most physically draining park I've been to, so when heat and no lines are added you're forced to take it easy.

-Revolution and X2 were closed (Revolution due to maintenance, X2 due to "weather"), as were about half the park's flats (Swashbuckler still in pieces, Buccaneer and Scrambler closed for no apparent reason). Everything else was open.

-Full Throttle and Riddler's Revenge are still in one train operation due to maintenance. These two both had a bit of a wait (15-30 minutes). Green Lantern also had a wait (30 minutes + operational delay) due to unsatisfactory operations. All other coasters were running two trains except Gold Rusher (and Superman, obviously), though only one would be loaded unless there were more riders in the station than could be accommodated in one train (happened occasionally).

-Operations ranged from excellent to acceptable on most coasters today, with Green Lantern being the only ride I would call unsatisfactory.

-As previously stated, backwards rides end Sunday, June 15th, so if you want to experience them get yourself to the park before then.

-Work is progressing on Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers, though slowly. There were people out there with shovels today, and it appears that the groundwork is almost done. I've got a feeling that once vertical construction starts the coaster will be up within a week (this model is tiny). A banner at the site said "Coming in June," so mid/late June is probably a safe bet (if you're planning a trip just for the credit, plan it after 4th of July just to be safe).

-Over at Hurricane Harbor, Bonzai Pipelines is almost complete. The open slide appears 99% done, while the enclosed slide is tied off to the supports and needs to be bolted into place. I don't know how much testing waterslides require, but they could possibly be ready for opening day (realistically, I think early June is probably a safer bet).

-Ride Count: Twice each on Batman (backwards), Tatsu, Superman, and Goliath, once each on all other non-kiddie coasters, once each on Jetstream, Roaring Rapids, Tidal Wave, and Lex Luthor.

And now for a few random comments:

-This was my first time riding Batman backwards. It was definitely an experience, as the ride contains maneuvers rarely taken backward, but it was an intense ride, somewhat nauseating, and not something most people could handle more than once or twice in a row. Personally, I'm really glad I tried it, but it's just not my thing and I significantly prefer Batman forwards. I've been on Colossus backwards at Fright Fest before, and this was pretty much the same...a little better than regular Colossus, but still not good enough for multiple rides.

-Green Lantern either needs to have its SOP completely rewritten or be sent off to a park that can run it properly. Today they had four cars running (three being loaded), the line was at the bottom of the stairs, and the wait was close to 30 minutes. Based on my calculations, they were probably doing 200 pph at best when delays are considered (90 second to 2 minute dispatch interval and approximately one out of every four cars jammed at the end). I like the ride since it is unique, but it is an ultra-short somewhat uncomfortable ride that doesn't justify the wait time. According to random people I've talked with, most seem to say that the ride looks interesting but doesn't deliver...about how I feel.

-I don't know when they were added, but most of the major coasters now have signs in front of the entrance stating that ride's claim to fame (ex. Full Throttle: World's Tallest Vertical Loop). I thought that was a nice touch.

-Also don't know when it happened, but the operators no longer have to do a complete recheck if someone accidentally lowers their lapbar on Full Throttle or Goliath. As long as they can still reach the belt and give it a tug to verify it is latched everything is good to go.

-Whoever came up with the idea that SFMM needs a fourth kiddie coaster has probably never visited the park. I walked through Bugs Bunny World and could probably count the number of people there using my fingers, and all the employees were just standing around bored every time I walked past. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Speedy Gonzales is a waste of a million dollars.

-I happened to run into several other TPR members during the day (one employee and a few guests). I find it slightly ironic that after another debate on here about the quality of the park I find more TPR members there than I've ever seen in a single visit to Knott's (excluding those that I know work at the parks).

-Lastly, I found it amusing that SFGAm's Goliath was being advertised at SFMM, especially since one of the posters was pretty close to Goliath (just past the games area if I remember correctly). Your choice...Six Flags cross-promotion or hints that the next new thrill for SFMM will be similar (aka Iron Colossus)?

Quick Mini-TR from today (no pictures, just updates):

-This was my first time riding Batman backwards. It was definitely an experience, as the ride contains maneuvers rarely taken backward, but it was an intense ride, somewhat nauseating, and not something most people could handle more than once or twice in a row. Personally, I'm really glad I tried it, but it's just not my thing and I significantly prefer Batman forwards. I've been on Colossus backwards at Fright Fest before, and this was pretty much the same...a little better than regular Colossus, but still not good enough for multiple rides.

-Green Lantern either needs to have its SOP completely rewritten or be sent off to a park that can run it properly. Today they had four cars running (three being loaded), the line was at the bottom of the stairs, and the wait was close to 30 minutes. Based on my calculations, they were probably doing 200 pph at best when delays are considered (90 second to 2 minute dispatch interval and approximately one out of every four cars jammed at the end). I like the ride since it is unique, but it is an ultra-short somewhat uncomfortable ride that doesn't justify the wait time. According to random people I've talked with, most seem to say that the ride looks interesting but doesn't deliver...about how I feel.

recently got my first and last ride on Batman backwards. I think it's terrible. too brutal for me. maybe i'm just a wimp. lol colossus backwards is okay. but i haven't done it in years, and have no desire. green lantern was also a one ride for me when it opened. felt like my head was cracked open.

i commend you for braving the 100 plus heat. it's been brutal the last couple days.

I went yesterday also, and have a completely different story.

I got there around noon, and went to Full Throttle first. 15 minute wait, line ended about half way up the ramp. By 3:30 this ride had a one train wait, until about 4:30, when it went back up to 10 minutes or so.

Goliath had no line all day, same with most of the other rides.

Had no line for Green Lantern around 1:30, but those ops were SLOW!

Rode Riddler with 2 other people on the train around 5:20.

X2 was not closed due to weather like the park was saying. Around 5PM, a train was cycling around the track with water dummies. This is a brand new train (#1) that just came out of refurb. When I left at 6, there was a guy on top of the lift and they had pulled out the other train (#2). I think that they had just wanted to get back up to two trains for Grad Nite last night.

Oh, and sometime in the afternoon Tatsu had a problem as when I rode it around 3:30 it was only running one train with a 15 minute wait with the other one being worked on in the other station.

Thanks for the tips, looks like it will cool down a bit for tomorrow but still a hot one, so I will getting that drink for sure! And I see we can bring it back on labour day for 99 cent refils.

So I bought the Gold Passes yesterday as I realized we would also have a chance to use them at the 6f north of San Fran this year too.

The only other question I have is does anyone know the hours for the processing centre? We are from Vancouver Canada so no 6f around us. We land tonight at 8:30 at LAX, so I assume we wont be able to get it done then. My current plan based on what I have researched is to get to the park aroun 9:30-9:45. We have a voucher for parking and from what I found the processing center opens at 10 (anyone know for sure?). So if there are not to many people for that we will go and get the passes, but if its to many people then we will just try and do early entry with the paper vouchers I have for the gold pass and then get the real passes when we leave.

Anyone have any different suggestions?

Thanks for the tips, looks like it will cool down a bit for tomorrow but still a hot one, so I will getting that drink for sure! And I see we can bring it back on labour day for 99 cent refils.

So I bought the Gold Passes yesterday as I realized we would also have a chance to use them at the 6f north of San Fran this year too.

The only other question I have is does anyone know the hours for the processing centre? We are from Vancouver Canada so no 6f around us. We land tonight at 8:30 at LAX, so I assume we wont be able to get it done then. My current plan based on what I have researched is to get to the park aroun 9:30-9:45. We have a voucher for parking and from what I found the processing center opens at 10 (anyone know for sure?). So if there are not to many people for that we will go and get the passes, but if its to many people then we will just try and do early entry with the paper vouchers I have for the gold pass and then get the real passes when we leave.

Anyone have any different suggestions?

Looks like X2's second train just came out of rehab in time for your trip, so with that in mind, I'd hit YOLOCoaster in the morning and wait until the afternoon for X2. With normal 2-train ops, the line always dies down to nothing around 4pm.

As far as I know the processing center stays open as long as the park, but the park is only open to the public until 6pm tonight so you'll have to get it processed tomorrow morning. With X2 hopefully back to normal that should make the early entry a bit less of a necessity.

-Whoever came up with the idea that SFMM needs a fourth kiddie coaster has probably never visited the park. I walked through Bugs Bunny World and could probably count the number of people there using my fingers, and all the employees were just standing around bored every time I walked past. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Speedy Gonzales is a waste of a million dollars.

I don't know if you saw my photo from a few months ago, but I went on a busier day (cheer competition) for one of the updates and the lines for all the kiddie coasters were maxed out.

Lastly, I found it amusing that SFGAm's Goliath was being advertised at SFMM, especially since one of the posters was pretty close to Goliath (just past the games area if I remember correctly). Your choice...Six Flags cross-promotion or hints that the next new thrill for SFMM will be similar (aka Iron Colossus)?

Seeing as they had the same thing at SFDK on my last visit, I highly doubt the latter is correct. That may end up a bit of a coincidence if Iron Colossus is ever green-lit, but unless SFDK is getting sort of RMC (which I can almost guarantee will not happen for years if ever), I would unfortunately have to mark that one as wishful thinking. But hey, you never know.

So I am going to be in LA on Thursday and will be able to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Do you think a Flash Pass will be necessary or will lines be short enough so that I can get on everything? I plan on running to Full Throttle and X2 first.

X2 music is gone FOREVER! The newly refurbed train is on the track and it's speakers have been REMOVED. All that is left is an empty space where the speakers were. At least the ride is back to two trains and is smooth again... Nothing else has changed.

^no flash pass needed.

Well...

Darn.

From what I'd seen, the music kind of added a whole new dimension (teehee) of insanity to the ride. Then again, sometimes even Disney has audio problems (ex. my most recent ride on California Screamin'), and we all knew to some extent that this was bound to happen.

:/

So I am going to be in LA on Thursday and will be able to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Do you think a Flash Pass will be necessary or will lines be short enough so that I can get on everything? I plan on running to YOLOcoaster and X2 first.
On a thursday you should be OK as long as there isn't a special event. I wouldn't buy one ahead of time, but budget for buying one at the park if you need to. Currently X2 has two trains and YOLOCoaster has one, so to maximize your efficiency hit YC first in the morning, then go around to the back of the park which will be empty and make your way back to X2 around 4pm when the line will have dwindled to almost nothing.

I always find with most parks, it's just easier to start at the back and work your way forward,

while everybody else is starting at the front, doing the reverse, etc. Most times it'll work out

in your favor.

^^ Huh? I rode X2 last Saturday (May 10th) - they were only running one train, but the audio on that train was working great!

He's reporting they took the audio off the freshly rehabbed train.

^^ Huh? I rode X2 last Saturday (May 10th) - they were only running one train, but the audio on that train was working great!

He's reporting they took the audio off the freshly rehabbed train.

I'm just speculating but maybe they're waiting for new speakers to arrive?