TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't think this is "a sad excuse to revamp a coaster" at all. It's not even a permanent change. It's not like Batman was extremely unpopular and this is their way of trying to make it "new" or something. The backwards chassis is touring the chain and it's SFMM's turn for a limited run...it's just something a little different and it should be fun. To my understanding this chassis is owned or leased by Six Flags and it's the only one, so that would at least partially explain why at least for now Cedar Fair can't do the same thing with their B&M inverts. (The thought of Raptor backwards though is definitely intriguing)

Do we know how long the park will run the rides backwards? Since I don't have a pass this year, I was planning on going once to do Batman. My spring break is the first week of April, which I think might be a good time to go. Has anyone gone to the AAA day? Is it usually extremely crowded? This year it's on Friday May 9th, and I'm thinking if Batman is still open then, it would still be worth it to tackle crowds if I get a discounted ticket.

It's just a "Spring" promotion. So I would say it will last 4-8 weeks.

From today's issue of SFMM's newsletter:

For a limited time this spring, you can experience two favorite coasters in a new way. The looping fiend BATMAN™ The Ride and the monstrous wooden classic Colossus will turn backwards. You’ll be able to experience all the loops, twists, turns, and drops in reverse with unpredictable excitement.

Six Flags Magic Mountain will give you two new coaster experiences. This spring, BATMANâ„¢ The Ride and Colossus will be flipped around to face the opposite direction.

Our suspended looping coaster, BATMAN The Ride, will be more intense than ever before as you twist BACKWARDS through spirals and loops. The ride experience will feel completely different as you soar into the unknown at 50 miles per hour. Tackle a 105-foot lift and soar through five stomach-flipping inversions—including hairpin turns, two vertical loops, a zero-g roll heartline spin, and dizzying corkscrews—with your feet dangling below all while going backwards. Your anticipation, adrenaline, and fear will be magnified when you will only be able to see where you’ve been—not where you’re going.

BATMAN The Ride backwards is set to debut on March 22, but only Season Pass Holders can be the first to experience it with a special sneak peek. Flash your Season Pass to enjoy a just-for-passholders exclusive on March 8, 9, 15, and 16. (Due to maintenance and other circumstances, the sneak preview may be delayed, canceled, or rescheduled.)

Additionally, we’re flipping the cars around to run Colossus in reverse. This experience is usually reserved for Fright Fest, but we’re expanding the backwards thrills this spring. You’ll race around 4,325 feet of wooden track at 62 miles per hour while facing the opposite direction. As you elevate up the 100-foot-tall lift hill, you’ll be staring right back down at the ground you just traveled and plunge down the drop when you least expect it. By the time you can see that steep turn, you’ll already have coiled around it. And you’ll climb up and drop down 14 hills and a triple jump before you can even prepare for what’s ahead.

Don’t miss these exclusive backwards thrills for a limited time this Spring!

^I doubt that would be the case actually; I don't think they would stop running them backwards in 4-8 weeks because they are the only new things they are offering this year. I think the park just meant that the new backward experiences would open in the Spring (and they're already starting passholder previews). So, I think they will run them until at least very close to the end of the year, my guess would be right after Fright Fest.

Also, I believe the park is running two trains backwards! In Chicago, I think they only had one train, but I may be wrong on that.

Edited by dylanreich

^It was Chicago, and they stopped doing it in early July. They ran Viper backwards the rest of the season.

Come on, Dylan! Get your facts straight.

Lol, thanks for the correction. I'm still hoping they'll keep them operating longer than just until July.

It's also rumored that Six Flags Over Texas IS getting namtaB this summer, but has chosen to be fairly quiet and low-key about it for now. So that lends some credence to the possibility of this really being for spring only. Of course, there's no telling if there are still only one/two chassis available or if B&M has made more.

^When I was there they were running both Viper and Batman backwards. They were both fun but I preferred Viper to Batman. Turning the trains backwards is supposed to add that "out of control" feeling which was really evident in Viper. Batman was still fun, but it didn't really add that much to the ride.

I never really got the lack of enthusiasm for Backwards Viper, on its own or in comparison to namtaB. I suppose Batman was expected (and reported) to be much more intense backward, plus I realize a number of wooden coasters have been run backwards before. But Viper does have a slightly more complex layout than the single out-and-backs that have more typically been run backwards. I almost want to call it one of my favorite wooden coaster experiences, but I don't want to put too much weight on the backwards aspect since I'm hoping I'll still love riding it forwards again.

It would be "nice" to ride Colossus backwards, but I'm just happy that I've finally ridden both sides! I think can hold off on riding it again until an even bigger change hopefully comes to it.

^I doubt that would be the case actually; I don't think they would stop running them backwards in 4-8 weeks because they are the only new things they are offering this year. I think the park just meant that the new backward experiences would open in the Spring (and they're already starting passholder previews). So, I think they will run them until at least very close to the end of the year, my guess would be right after Fright Fest.

Also, I believe the park is running two trains backwards! In Chicago, I think they only had one train, but I may be wrong on that.

It's a Spring promotion. Another park is getting the backwards trains for summer.