TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Isn't the current Park management a direct graduate of the Del Holland/Gary Story school of running SFMM? There is your problem right there. That parks doesn't need any more insiders who think it's as wonderful as ever. It needs more outsiders who can clearly see the problems.

I'd love to see what someone like Jack Falfas could do with the park.

I doubt it is that they "don't see the problem." The more accurate description would be "we keep costs down and build rides because that's what our new owners like---the stock price is through the roof since we went back to being a crappy park/chain!"

I miss the first few years of Jay Thomas. Towards the end of his tenure, the park was already reverting back to its old ways. Whether that was because he gave up because he couldn't get buy in from his troops, or corporate gave up on their new vision is up for debate.

^Jew, do you know if KBF's investments are paying off? I think the only hope we have left is that SFMM sees that their infrastructure improvements are worth the investment. I'd love to see SFMM even...sorta kinda resemble a tiny bit...what it used to be. Like what Knotts is starting to do.

^Jew, do you know if KBF's investments are paying off? I think the only hope we have left is that SFMM sees that their infrastructure improvements are worth the investment. I'd love to see SFMM even...sorta kinda resemble a tiny bit...what it used to be. Like what Knotts is starting to do.

Cedar Fair's stock price is up since Kinzel and Co. nearly destroyed Cedar Fair, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. Knott's was a great family park for many years before Cedar Fair took things off track for awhile. Magic Mountain hasn't been known as family friendly for…30 years?

Again, there's no doubt SFMM is a terrible park. That is what happens when you pay your staff so little and don't invest in infrastructure. BUT, will any of us stay away when they build their next large credit? I am guessing the answer is no. They don't have to invest in anything because their business model is based on roller coasters. Everyone just sort of accepts all the crap that comes with those coasters.

Edited by Jew

I haven't bought a season pass in years. Nothing makes me want to go to that park more then once a year at most so it is not worth it. The park is just not some place I want to spend the day hanging out because of the environment. Clean up the park. Get better operators. (pay them more). Invest in something besides coasters. Maybe then I would buy a season pass again.

I haven't bought a season pass in years. Nothing makes me want to go to that park more then once a year at most so it is not worth it. The park is just not some place I want to spend the day hanging out because of the environment. Clean up the park. Get better operators. (pay them more). Invest in something besides coasters. Maybe then I would buy a season pass again.

This. I haven't been in basically 2 years at this point. It's not worth it.

I was just there Wednesday, but I'm going back tomorrow!

Sure, it's not the best park, but it does have a great variety of coasters! People still love it because they know that the environment isn't going to be that great, but they are okay with that. This year will be down in attendance due to them not building a major new ride. That's just how it works.

And anybody out here will pay $20 for parking. Parking for LA Live downtown is $25+. People are used to it. When I went to DL and saw it was only $16, I was in shock and actually had extra $ since I was expecting $20 parking. I really want to change the park, but it's not going to because people aren't going to stop coming. Their competition has already dominated all other areas other than roller coasters. There's no "spirit" left in this park, it's entirely a business. But, since it works for them, they won't change, so we just will have to accept it.

After all, a credit is still a credit, even if it's on a parking lot or zooming around through trees on a mountain, right?

^Magic Mountain is like the uncle whose house you go to every year for a holiday dinner only because you feel obligated to do so for the sake of your family. I doubt many people "love" SFMM. BUT, as I've said, it's the only place to go locally if a person enjoys coasters---so it will continue to do decent business as long as they can afford to keep adding rides.

SFMM is what it is, which is just a park full of coasters. They clearly aren't trying to be anything else. If you just love riding high thrill roller coasters, then it's a great place to do that. If you want to do anything else, then there are plenty of other parks to visit.

With that in mind, the one thing that always jumps out at me is the lack of paint on highly visible rides. If Goldrusher hasn't been painted in 20 years it doesn't really matter cause its in the trees anyway..but when Tatsu and Scream are in desperate need of a paint job, you dont even need to be in the park, you can see it from the highway. It's an extremely visible blight.

Unrelated, I hear unconfirmed rumors that the Sky Tower may be closing permanently. They have semi-permanent barriers up in front of the que area. Glad I was able to finally visit it last time I was there in August for the first time, every time I had visited before over the years there had been a slight breeze so it was closed for weather.

SFMM is what it is, which is just a park full of coasters. They clearly aren't trying to be anything else. If you just love riding high thrill roller coasters, then it's a great place to do that. If you want to do anything else, then there are plenty of other parks to visit.

With that in mind, the one thing that always jumps out at me is the lack of paint on highly visible rides. If Goldrusher hasn't been painted in 20 years it doesn't really matter cause its in the trees anyway..but when Tatsu and Scream are in desperate need of a paint job, you dont even need to be in the park, you can see it from the highway. It's an extremely visible blight.

Unrelated, I hear unconfirmed rumors that the Sky Tower may be closing permanently. They have semi-permanent barriers up in front of the que area. Glad I was able to finally visit it last time I was there in August for the first time, every time I had visited before over the years there had been a slight breeze so it was closed for weather.

IF they remove it, is there enough room to put something else there?

I would equally welcome a tall SkyScreamer...that the tower might go away is still only rumor though. Nothing has been said, it's just been assumed because it's closed in a more forceful way than usual. Could be extensive rehab on the elevators or something.

Just daydreaming out loud, but a polar coaster for 2015 would be a nice replacement for the sky tower if it does end up getting removed.

Polar coasters are great and everything, but they're really just for breaking height records, there really isn't much thrill in a Polar coaster.

Just daydreaming out loud, but a polar coaster for 2015 would be a nice replacement for the sky tower if it does end up getting removed.

Polar coasters are great and everything, but they're really just for breaking height records, there really isn't much thrill in a Polar coaster.

What color is your Delorean? Or are you just speculating?

Hope the Sky Tower going away rumors aren't true, and that it's just closed for an extensive rehab, which seems more likely. But then again, this is SFMM and things like to vanish without a trace at this park (i.e. Log Jammer, DeJa Vu). It's a great place to relax in the hot summer, and to take a break and enjoy the view.

If Sky Tower got replaced by a good Intamin, GREAT!

If Sky Tower got replaced by a bad B&M wing rider, hell no!

I've heard there is a museum at the top of Sky Tower that shows the history of the park or roller coasters. Maybe they will find another place for that? But again, it's SFMM, they might want to build another kiddie coaster instead of a coaster/park history museum.

If Sky Tower got replaced by a good Intamin, GREAT!

If Sky Tower got replaced by a bad B&M wing rider, hell no!

I've heard there is a museum at the top of Sky Tower that shows the history of the park or roller coasters. Maybe they will find another place for that? But again, it's SFMM, they might want to build another kiddie coaster instead of a coaster/park history museum.

No way a roller coaster would replace the Sky Tower and the museum was removed a little over 3 years ago.