TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It should be called Junior Roller Coaster 1.

Or Junior Roller Coaster 4.

I think the park got another kid coaster because it was the easiest and cheapest way to build up their coaster count. Obviously I don't know what the park's plans are for the next coming years, but this is just what it looks like. They put in the kid coaster as their quiet number 19. Then there's a possible revamp on Colossus in a year or two, which doesn't effect the coaster count. Then after waiting a couple years, the park will make a huge deal about their 20th coaster, whatever it will be. I would guess it would be something pretty big or unique.

I think the park got another kid coaster because it was the easiest and cheapest way to build up their coaster count. Obviously I don't know what the park's plans are for the next coming years, but this is just what it looks like. They put in the kid coaster as their quiet number 19. Then there's a possible revamp on Colossus in a year or two, which doesn't effect the coaster count. Then after waiting a couple years, the park will make a huge deal about their 20th coaster, whatever it will be. I would guess it would be something pretty big or unique.

You really think all the coasters currently running will still be running in 2017-2018?

You really think all the coasters currently running will still be running in 2017-2018?

I'd personally send Canyon Blaster to Six Flags St. Louis but that's me. Maybe Scream to SFAm?

MM has more coasters than CP so it's still technically the capital.

^ then SFMM would not be the roller coaster capital in the world

MM can easily replace two coasters with two more that are better in ride quality. Scream looks terribly neglected and losing an extra kiddie coaster wont hurt the park.

Does adding all these coasters really make SFMM any more popular with tourists or locals? Tourists go to California for Disney, Universal, and, somtimes, Knott's. Locals would know by now how run down the park is and stay away. So will the attendance increase AT ALL if they add a #20?

Tons of locals go....its mostly locals... Yes, their claim to coaster capital and Xtreme park does attract some out of town people. But they don't advertise outside of Southern California. So its pretty much all locals.

And coaster enthusiasts that travel halfway across the world just for the credits.

Tons of locals go....its mostly locals... Yes, their claim to coaster capital and Xtreme park does attract some out of town people. But they don't advertise outside of Southern California. So its pretty much all locals.

And coaster enthusiasts that travel halfway across the world just for the credits.

Right, most people outside of the coaster community don't even know Magic Mountain exists.

So to answer the original question, yes, any new coaster will attract locals to the park.

A lot of teenagers and people in their 20s in Southern California love Six Flags Magic Mountain, so that's where they get basically all of their attendance from. A 20th coaster would give this group yet another reason to return to their beloved park.

Being "The Roller Coaster Capitol of the World" is a nice tagline, but is it worth sacrificing quality for quantity to get it?

Then you have to wonder, how much of an impact does it have in the crowded and super competitive SoCal market vs the midwest?

I would say that most of SFMM's guests don't care about the quality and just go for the coasters. The poor quality will keep me from ever visiting on a regular basis, but even I will go back for a new credit that's worth my time. YOLOCoaster got me back.

They don't need to advertise. Travel Channel will advertise them to the moon and back.