TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Can someone explain how the fast pass works at Magic Mountain.

You can purchase the flash pass online and take the voucher to the park or buy it at the center, either way you go to the flash pass office where you will watch a video and upon completion they will give you a small pager-like device with an lcd display. You carry it around with you and can select which ride you want to go on next. The display will tell you which rides are available and at what time your ride will be ready. When your ride is ready the pager will vibrate and flash and you can take it to the flash pass entrance where an operator will scan it and merge you with the line. As soon as the operator scans your device (ie while you're still in line), you can select a new ride.

Officially, the regular pass gives you the same wait time as the normal que, the gold offers up to 50% wait reduction, and platinum offers 90% reduction. In my experience, most of the time the gold gives you most rides within only a few minutes. The only real advantages to platinum are double rides on some rides, and access to purchase YOLOCoaster Flash Pass rides, which are $15 each and must be reserved at the Flash Pass office. If X2 were open, a gold level pass would allow access to reserve rides on it. Normally everything else is free.

If you're going on a busy day, get gold. If not, regular should work fine.

^The 21st won't be terrible, but you also won't be alone. The 22nd is a free friend day and should be avoided at all costs. The 28th and 29th will be as bad or worse than the Summer. It will be a little better if you go during the week.

But, if at all possible, go in Mid-January. Any day January 11th or later will be great! Like no lines for anything at all! You'll get many many rerides.

^The 21st won't be terrible, but you also won't be alone. The 22nd is a free friend day and should be avoided at all costs. The 28th and 29th will be as bad or worse than the Summer. It will be a little better if you go during the week.

But, if at all possible, go in Mid-January. Any day January 11th or later will be great! Like no lines for anything at all! You'll get many many rerides.

Ah, shucks, I was planning on going back to SFMM on the 22nd.

Rode full throttle for the first time this past weekend and thought it was great, but honestly thought that the restraints around the knees were the worst I've ever experienced. Freaking painful. Also, does anyone else think apocalypse is a top 5 ride at the park?

Also, does anyone else think apocalypse is a top 5 ride at the park?

Since I'm briefly seen in the pre-show in the last room, yes!

In the last room there's a firefight scene. I'm one of the "scavengers" in the fog kneeling against a wood support shooting a gun towards the good guys. Then, when the girl yells "Oh no, GRENADE!" I'm the dark blob heaving it in your direction. Say what you want about the pre-show, at least we had fun filming it.

^^When it opened, I considered Apocalypse one of the best rides in the park, but now it has gotten too rough. It is still in the top half of the park's coasters, but is probably my least favorite of the must-rides.

^That's cool. Next time I ride, I'll be sure to keep an eye out and see if I can spot you. I've never minded the pre-show, only the way it used to be run (forcing riders to view it at the cost of sending out half-empty trains).

Question for anyone who often visits SFMM this time of year: I have relatives visiting from Washington over winter break and they would like to go to SFMM. The only good day we can go is Monday, December 23rd. I'm not expecting it to be dead, but I'm hoping it won't be excessively crowded (expecting headliners to have approximately 30 minute waits). Is this a realistic estimate, or will it likely be busier?

Sometimes I think SFGA is bad. Then I look at the SFMM thread. The YOLO station really does look like a joke. It looks like they built a giant solar panel to power the ride. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a station for a major coaster that was literally just a roof at any permanent amusement park I've been to. Anyone have any other examples?

As for the concept art, it looks to me like they designed the cheapest area possible, then tasked their artists with making it look amazing. Like a spectacular alien sunset on Mars.

I've made it a point to ignore this thread for a while, but are people really freaking out over a roof? Ever been to CGA? That park could seriously use roofs over some of it's rides, even if they look like what they built over YOLOcoaster. A roof is a roof, shade is shade. The coaster experience stays the same, so who cares?

^ A lot of us care about how a Park presents itself. The "roof" that was added to Full Throttle is nothing short of a joke. No thought, or care was put into it. Its almost offensive how SFMM doesn't even care enough about their Park, and us, their Customers to put a minimal amount of effort into anything they do. That's why we care.

I've made it a point to ignore this thread for a while, but are people really freaking out over a roof? Ever been to CGA? That park could seriously use roofs over some of it's rides, even if they look like what they built over YOLOcoaster. A roof is a roof, shade is shade. The coaster experience stays the same, so who cares?

Agreed. I don't go to a six flags park to ride the building. I go for the ride...

There is an excessively abundant amount of straight up bitching in this thread, even for a roller coaster enthusiast website. I don't mind complaining, in fact it's a favorite past time of mine. Granted we all know this park does have is fair share of issues but the complaints have turned to whining and have become uninspired and just downright DULL. It's now a chore to actually find a relevant post these days.

I feel like its become a sort of competition among posters as to who can find the most banal minutia about this park to moan about. AND THEN PROCEED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH. I mean a ROOF?? its just a goddamn roof for Christ's sake. I might suggest editing the title of this 3300 page threat to something more appropriate - maybe include the phrase "bandwagon bitchfest"? Just a suggestion.

^ Welcome to the SFMM thread, you must be new here. I don't think most of us "hate" the park as much as it seems. We love SFMM, we just have a funny way of showing it.

As for the roof, if it was JUST the roof, that might be different, but it's not just the roof. It's the everything about the new coaster other than the coaster itself. It's not going to stop me from riding and enjoying YOLOCoaster, but it does look very cheap.

One thing I always keep in mind with SFMM is their target demographic, which is not us. The mass of mindless teenagers that seems to make up the majority of their crowd is very much the "Yolo" crowd, and they eat this stuff up. For as much crap as we give SFMM, they were still the most profitable park in the chain last year, so financially they must be doing something right at least in the short term, in other words it doesn't look like their recent strategies and decisions are negatively affecting attendance.

There is an excessively abundant amount of straight up bitching in this thread, even for a roller coaster enthusiast website. I don't mind complaining, in fact it's a favorite past time of mine. Granted we all know this park does have is fair share of issues but the complaints have turned to whining and have become uninspired and just downright DULL. It's now a chore to actually find a relevant post these days.

I feel like its become a sort of competition among posters as to who can find the most banal minutia about this park to moan about. AND THEN PROCEED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH. I mean a ROOF?? its just a goddamn roof for Christ's sake. I might suggest editing the title of this 3300 page threat to something more appropriate - maybe include the phrase "bandwagon bitchfest"? Just a suggestion.

Well, you are the same guy who doesn't like the YOLO stilt walker photo:

BNTPEPfCAAAimMr.jpg:large

I'm fine with all the complaining on this thread since the park always finds ways to piss me off when I visit the park.