TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The problem with Green Lantern is not necessarily the whole balancing act but rather how the cars run through the course. If your familiar with Insane and see any videos of the ride you'll notice the trains have a much wider range of freedom to rotate throughout the course. Green Lanterns trains on the other hand are toned down to the point where rather then the cars flipping they simply rock back and forth with the occasional flip or two.

The balancing and weight configuration can play a role in the number of flips but the train configuration plays the larger role in why the trains tend to rock rather than flip. With the trains tending to rock back and forth it tends to place more force on the rider which can translate to a less enjoyable ride. Especially if you have ever experienced the entire 2nd half of the ride upside down.

Some trains are better than others specifically if the train has returned to operation after it's annual maintenance the train will tend to be a little sluggish in its rotations until the train has been broken in.

And yes weight can play a role specifically if you add a lot of wight to one side the car will flip like crazy. This is just the few things I've noticed with Green Lantern it's rare to see the ride flip like Insane.

Sunday was a good day, the cold notwithstanding. Observations, FWIW:

I don't think the loading process for YOLO was that slow, given what I was expecting with the new seat belts. And new discovery: What a great coaster to ride at night.

Employees seemed more friendly and looser than usual, whether I was asking for something or casually chatting with them. The guy I spoke with at Lex Luthor was not only super nice, but told us some funny stories about working that ride. (First time on that ride, BTW. I stared straight down during the decent, like I used to do through the grate on Freefall.) Not my usual SFMM experience.

I guess I got the rougher Apocalypse train. Nowhere near as smooth as the rides I had earlier in the year. (They ran the other car empty, of course. This was at 5:30 pm.)

Am I the only guy who HASN'T had his junk smashed on GL? I find those seats pretty comfortable. The lone GL disappointment I had yesterday was, per the recent conversation, that my car didn't flip once. I'm not an inversion whore in the slightest, but one or two would have made the ride a little more thrilling, as it was back in 2011.

I absolutely hate the food offerings at SFMM. It's garbage even for an amusement park. Gonna start getting my hand stamped and leave the park for the Valencia Town Center down the street, or McBean/Old Road (mmm, Mod Pizza).

Don't know how I feel about the park now switching to e-mail coupons for passholders given that all coupons must be printed out prior to the visit (according to the pass processing rep I spoke with). I was over bringing the books, but with the printouts, we're still stuck in, what, the late '90s? Couldn't QR codes simplify this process with minor expense? I could swear I had a virtual ticket scanned on my phone at Knott's. Six Flags is in full Luddite mode when it comes to tech. Seriously, no app? And their social media is a joke.

I'll stop here before I begin repeating the laundry list of familiar grievances. I generally had a nice day at the park

I'm heading to SFMM for the first time in 3 years on Saturday or Sunday...hoping to just get YOLOcoaster, Green Lantern, Lex, and get out of there. Should be entertaining to see how difficult this may be?!?

Good Luck! Can't wait to hear how it is.

EDIT: I guess the consensus (and mine) is that the GP couldn't handle the ride and complained and the park didn't want to continue to deal with it.

That doesn't seem to make much sense. Isn't the ride MORE uncomfortable now that the seats don't flip anymore?

I'm heading to SFMM for the first time in 3 years on Saturday or Sunday...hoping to just get YOLOcoaster, Green Lantern, Lex, and get out of there. Should be entertaining to see how difficult this may be?!?

If you're by yourself don't forget to use the Single Rider lines on Lantern and Lex. Will save you loads of time of there's any kind of queue. You can just hit YOLO first and then use the SR lines, theoretically you could be done in less than an hour.

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

I didn't know this was an viable option in the past. That would've been a bad idea IMO. As much as people bitch about the park here, it's my favorite park here in the U.S.

Yes, back when SF sold off multiple parks (Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake, just to name a couple of the several) SFMM was included in the Parks that were for sale and CF was one of the most interested buyers. SF pulled SFMM off the market later on. Many people were surprised it was even listed. I do not remember what the year was, so if someone else knows please feel free to post that information.

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

I didn't know this was an viable option in the past. That would've been a bad idea IMO. As much as people bitch about the park here, it's my favorite park here in the U.S.

Yes, back when SF sold off multiple parks (Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake, just to name a couple of the several) SFMM was included in the Parks that were for sale and CF was one of the most interested buyers. SF pulled SFMM off the market later on. Many people were surprised it was even listed. I do not remember what the year was, so if someone else knows please feel free to post that information.

It was 2006. I remember as I was in Jr. High at the time.

I don't think there was ever any serious interest in SFMM. I think Cedar Fair just wanted to look at the financial information of SF and see if it could pluck away some of the east coast or Texas parks.

^ This is also what I remembered. I mainly recall hearing the complaints the nearby residents would state in the news and how they hoped that the land would be successfully purchased.

The City of Santa Clarita was bound & determined to keep SFMM open running. All sorts of tax breaks and deals were offered if the park agreed to be annexed into the city, rather than just outside the city limits as it was then and still is now.

^Nope, Apocalypse was actually one of the smaller GCIs. As the story goes, Six Flags opted for a smaller coaster to have a larger theming budget, and we all know how that turned out (most of it is gone or no longer in use). I believe the largest GCI at the time was Gwazi, or for a single tracked coaster Troy.

^Nope, Apocalypse was actually one of the smaller GCIs. As the story goes, Six Flags opted for a smaller coaster to have a larger theming budget, and we all know how that turned out (most of it is gone or no longer in use). I believe the largest GCI at the time was Gwazi, or for a single tracked coaster Troy.

Translation: they payed too much money for the rights to use the movie as a theme, so they had to cut from somewhere else...

Translation: they payed too much money for the rights to use the movie as a theme, so they had to cut from somewhere else...

How about the snallest GCI? Probably El Toro?