TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

They had an employee in front of X2 for the first couple weeks it was closed and then they stopped. Full Throttle had not one, not two, but THREE employees at the entrance ALL DAY telling people it was closed last weekend. They don't have employees out for extended down times but they do for temporary.

With all the steps SF has taken recently with restraints and "safety" by adding seat belts to numerous Coasters, the chances of removing the OTSR on Revolution (chances that were already very slim) have dropped drastically.

This was my experience with Apocalypse as well. The first time I rode it earlier this year it was smooth as glass. Reminded me of my first experience on Psyclone when it first opened. Every time I've ridden Apocalypse since then, there is a noticeable difference. Strange how much the ride has deteriorated in just a handful of months...

Its not that its gone downhill in months, you just had an unusually smooth ride the first time. I've had rides before yours that were very rough and others that were smoother. Its a crap shoot like a lot of rough rides.

With all the steps SF has taken recently with restraints and "safety" by adding seat belts to numerous Coasters, the chances of removing the OTSR on Revolution (chances that were already very slim) have dropped drastically.

It still could with a Lap Bar and seatbelt

I'll take that trade in a heartbeat.

Anyone know if YOLOcoaster was open today? We are going tomorrow and our fingers are crossed to the point of pain. Thanks.

Fuel Bottle was down for the day and hosts and hostess's were directing guests towards other thrill rides. Tatsu was walk on all day and many empty seats each ride. The cheerleaders were busy staying warm when the late day winds came up and froze everyone's jingle balls off. Tomorrow should be nicer and its Toys for The Holidays and even if your not interested for the free entrance bring a toy and pay it forward.

X2 has been closed for a much longer time than RSR, so it doesn't surprise me that Six Flags would put that on their website for a ride that has been closed for many months.

The thing is, RSR is a highly complex ride as where X2 is simply a roller coaster. You would think it's the other way around.

X2 is a highly complex roller coaster (as far as coasters go), but AFAIK the breakdown is not due to an issue with that, but with the chain lift (a component of almost any coaster), although the design of the chain lift and trains could have contributed to this.

I really can't take this park seriously when they have their signature ride down for 1/3 of a year, new rides down, and yet think and convince themselves they are the best park in the country (world).

This reminds me, I should probably feel more grateful that it only took me two visits (2010 and 2013) to get every possible credit here. Judging from multiple stories I've heard, it can take way more than that.

I really can't take this park seriously when they have their signature ride down for 1/3 of a year, new rides down, and yet think and convince themselves they are the best park in the country (world).

I had a much better day at Fuji Q than I did during my visit to SFMM! It's a shame as it seems like the park has so much potential if they would just get better management in there who has some customer service common senses.

Yolocoaster may have just been down yesterday due to rain. I will check it out when I'm there today in about an hour (I'm working the 5k this morning so I'm going in early). I'm also gonna stay later so we will see.

There's been someone working on X2 every week.... Remember what happened back in 2007 when the gear box broke and how long it was closed then? Well.... Big coasters have big problems. I'm not defending them for this, and I actually would consider paying them to hire more people to fix it faster! It's just annoying.

They need to fix YOLO now if it's still down.... That's just sad.

Maybe it's gone for ever, after all according to the ride's name, You Only Live Once, Coaster!

YOLOcoaster open today!

Watch 'em close it again because it's "too cold".

Nah, they'll claim that it's time for the ride's annual maintenance.

Annual maintenance is a stupid excuse. Except for at Nickelodeon Universe. They post their ride maintenance schedule for the year on their website, which shows they don't just use "annual maintenance" as an excuse.

100% agreed. It still baffles me months later that, during my visit back in July, they would have one train operation on Scream and Lex Luthor closed.

I planned my trip this summer with SFMM being the focus after my great visit back in 2006, and with Disneyland being just an 'add-on.' If and when I eventually return to California, DL will definitely be the focus, and SFMM the 'afterthought add-on' park.

Good to see Full Throttle open today, and it was running great!

However, remember the temporary shade structure they put over the station? It's completely gone! The entire apparatus and everything! So now it's back to looking like it did in opening day again...

But to be fair... While it was closed, they added a way to control the launch in the tunnel from the station. Now, if the launch fails out of the tunnel, the ride op at the panel in the station can reset the launch without calling maintenance. I thought this was a good idea, since I saw it get stuck in the tunnel twice today, but only for maybe 2 minutes each time. Also, operations are slowly getting better.

And I will mention the Riddler crew today, they were on top of their game.

Oh, and Apocalypse and Viper were both running really great today! I rode Viper 4 times today with no pain!!!

However, remember the temporary shade structure they put over the station? It's completely gone! The entire apparatus and everything! So now it's back to looking like it did in opening day again...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that Full Throttle is finally getting a permanent station structure?

Just got back from the park and a few highlights:

-Full Throttle was good, got the last train of the night, definitely one of my top 3 in the park

-Goliath was running a little slow today

-Tiny crowds, Tatsu was only 20-25 minutes by around 12:30

-Right side of Superman was closed

-The right side of Lex Luthor was braking a bit weirdly, a lot more abruptly than the left

-Train 1 on Apocalypse was quite rough

-Riddler running two trains with only moderate stacking

-New seat belts on Golath were fine but caused some very slight stacking with two trains, three would be pointless

-Full Throttle's seat belts ruin the capacity, it had a consistent line to the canopy all day

-Tried Green Lantern again and almost got castrated

-JB's Smokehouse was using ridiculous 5 oz. cups for water, barely a single mouthfull

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that YOLOcoaster is finally getting a permanent station structure?

Yes, the park filed for the permit a few weeks ago.

permit.PNG.499d0550c93403558752b1b1a6032e00.PNG