TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This remind me of the time I went to the park in 2005 late summer.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short.

Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

I didn't find Magic Mountain maintain their rides badly except for Apocalypse. But the extremely slow lines made me really angry. It was a Saturday duting summer vacation and Tatsu, Ninja, Batman was running ONE train! Riddler, Scream and X2 took forever to load and unload that riders even complain about waiting at the brake run. Other than that, it was pretty good because all the parks I have been to was Happy Valley parks and Chimelong Parks

This summer, however, after I went to Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point... I really think SFMM is doing really terrible.

Would another new coaster persuade you otherwise?

I didn't find Magic Mountain maintain their rides badly except for Apocalypse. But the extremely slow lines made me really angry. It was a Saturday duting summer vacation and Tatsu, Ninja, Batman was running ONE train! Riddler, Scream and X2 took forever to load and unload that riders even complain about waiting at the brake run. Other than that, it was pretty good because all the parks I have been to was Happy Valley parks and Chimelong Parks

This summer, however, after I went to Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point... I really think SFMM is doing really terrible.

Would another new coaster persuade you otherwise?

Iron Colossus and/or a Giga would help make my feelings towards the park a bit softer. Before they build their big 20th coaster or after they've built Iron Colossus, it would be nice to see a big park restoration like Knott's has done/is doing. Cleaning up and renovating the areas of the park that need it, restoring the Magic Pagoda, and maybe having that Justice League dark ride go in DC Universe. I know that will probably never happen, but a man can dream can't he? It would help improve the atmosphere and feel of the park.

^ Yep, see this seems like what they're trying to do. They skip on maintenance and other general upkeep in favor of new rides so that they can stay ahead in the war of "which park has the most coasters".

New bathrooms do not bring people to the park. With a limited budget they probably have to make a choice in hopes that higher attendance will bring more $$$ from corporate for the up coming year so they can do maintenance, repair and replacement.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short.

Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

Only other place I could see that happening is Mt. Olympus. In fact, I feel like I have seen that there.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short. Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

That is kind of terrifying. It's probably good you didn't accept the offer.

Only other place I could see that happening is Mt. Olympus. In fact, I feel like I have seen that there.

I did too! I think it's crazy how people and their parents allow things like that to happen.

Psyclone was a decent coaster until the Northridge earthquake.

I wonder why they didn't scrap it or thoroughly overhaul it (to the point of being 90% new wood) after it was damaged, instead of opting to keep it running. I'm sure it was not profitable to run, considering how bad people say it was.

Yeah that whole ground liquefaction thing didn't end well.

Even today people don't realize that this area received the most violent shaking of anywhere besides the epicenter. The fault snapped like a rubber band straight in our direction, accounting for the freeway collapses at the 5/14 and another bridge about a mile further north up 5. Also keep in mind that there wasn't just one earthquake. There were more aftershocks than I could ever hope to count. They weren't your garden variety 2.3's either. These were big, serious earthquakes in the 4 and 5 range. They may not have caused the damage the main quake did, but for a good six months or more, aftershocks struck almost every night. It tapered off after a while but we were still having aftershocks here & there through 2000. Those rides took that pounding, including Psyclone built in the dry lake bed whose soil was subject to ground liquefaction.

People talk about Psyclone, but I don't think any of those rides were quite the same after the quake. Viper, Revolution, Colossus, Ninja, Jet Stream were all there for it. Psyclone did get It worst of any of them, though. That ride was built to jostle riders around, but the extra give created by the quake's impact on the structure really messed with that.

At WCB some people were telling me how rough Apocolypse had gotten and when I finally rode it at night, I was pleasantly surprised how fun the ride was. I didn't feel it was very rough at all. It's a wooden coaster, it's not supposed to be as smooth as butter. I swear, some people really over-exaggerate the roughness of a coaster. I haven't ridden Ghostrider in several years, but I know a rough coaster. I rode Stampida at Port Aventura in 2012 and that ride has gotten rough as f@. Now that was a coaster that used to be really fun ( especially since they race both rides) and now isn't re-rideable. I can only imagine how bad Ghostrider has gotten.

At WCB some people were telling me how rough Apocolypse had gotten and when I finally rode it at night, I was pleasantly surprised how fun the ride was. I didn't feel it was very rough at all. It's a wooden coaster, it's not supposed to be as smooth as butter. I swear, some people really over-exaggerate the roughness of a coaster. I haven't ridden Ghostrider in several years, but I know a rough coaster. I rode Stampida at Port Aventura in 2012 and that ride has gotten rough as f@. Now that was a coaster that used to be really fun ( especially since they race both rides) and now isn't re-rideable. I can only imagine how bad Ghostrider has gotten.

When I went I found Colossus (Don't remember which side) to be really smooth actually. Especially after Green Lantern earlier and Ghost Rider the day before.

Apocalypse isn't as rough as GhostRider at all. However, I have found Apocalypse to be much rougher than what it used to be, and during my ride a few weeks ago, I chose not to re-ride it even with a 5-minute wait. Kind of strange since Apocalypse was running fine earlier this year.

Yeah that whole ground liquefaction thing didn't end well.

Even today people don't realize that this area received the most violent shaking of anywhere besides the epicenter. The fault snapped like a rubber band straight in our direction, accounting for the freeway collapses at the 5/14 and another bridge about a mile further north up 5. Also keep in mind that there wasn't just one earthquake. There were more aftershocks than I could ever hope to count. They weren't your garden variety 2.3's either. These were big, serious earthquakes in the 4 and 5 range. They may not have caused the damage the main quake did, but for a good six months or more, aftershocks struck almost every night. It tapered off after a while but we were still having aftershocks here & there through 2000. Those rides took that pounding, including Psyclone built in the dry lake bed whose soil was subject to ground liquefaction.

People talk about Psyclone, but I don't think any of those rides were quite the same after the quake. Viper, Revolution, Colossus, Ninja, Jet Stream were all there for it. Psyclone did get It worst of any of them, though. That ride was built to jostle riders around, but the extra give created by the quake's impact on the structure really messed with that.

I really didn't realize MM took such a hit from that earthquake. I can't remember the first time I rode Psyclone, but it was very rough the first time I rode it. I tried several visits afterwards, but stopped riding it.